My Smiley's Experience

I finally ordered yarn from Smiley's, and I have to say I think I could get myself into big, BIG trouble with that place!

I ordered it at 3 am on the 11th, and it arrived today without a hitch, and the yarns are all gorgeous and they arrived in wonderful condition, which is good, because two nights ago I ordered ANOTHER batch of yarn from them. Had I thought, I should have just ordered it all at the same time to save a little on shipping, but of course, I am never one to do things the easy or logical way.

The batch that arrived today contained 20 skeins of Lion Brand Color Waves and 6 skeins of Red Heart Soft Baby. In the Color Waves I bought 10 skeins of Pebble Beach and 10 skeins of Purple Twilight, and in the Soft Baby I bought 3 skeins of Twinkle and 3 skeins of Frolic. The Pebble Beach is for a Shawler for me and the Purple Twilight is for a Shawler for my cousin. The Soft Baby is going to be made into a bunch of baby things for the soon-to-be first grandchild of the owner of the hotel I manage.

So now I wait for my second Smiley's order to arrive. That one has 16 skeins of Red Heart Easy Tweed, 4 skeins each of 4 different colors to be used for totes and purses, and 10 skeins of yarn that shall remain nameless for the time being until it has gotten here and been sent on to its permanent home with an as-yet-unknown Crochetville resident.

I am VERY happily impressed with Smiley's, and will post pics of my Shawler as soon as I finish it. I'm going to start working on it within the hour since I am the only one awake now and have the rest of the night to crochet in peace. I love crocheting in the wee hours while the rest of the world sleeps. I get so much done! :c9

Glad you had such a wonderful experience (I've loved Smiley's for years!) and now you have so much more trouble in your life!! :lol:lol

Can't wait to see the Shawler!

Glad you had such a wonderful experience (I've loved Smiley's for years!) and now you have so much more trouble in your life!! :lol:lol

Can't wait to see the Shawler!

The problem is it takes NOTHING for me to find $40 worth of yarn to make up an order! :lol In fact, what I neglected to say in my first post was that the reason I went back and made the second order in the first place was to stock up on the $.77 Lion Brand Chenille, and when all was said and done I had ordered another $50 worth of yarn and there wasn't a skein of chenille in sight! :lol So now I don't DARE go back and order any chenille, but I only have to restrain myself for the remainder of today because the sale goes off tonight at midnight. After that I'm safe! :lol

Imagine how much trouble you could get into at the actual store! In May, I went for the first time and came home with 3 garbage bags full!

It is for this reason that I am thankful that I live in Texas. If I ever lived anywhere in the New York area I would be there every week and my apartment would look like the apartment that the Collier brothers lived in, but instead of stacks of newspapers and magazines there would be yarn! :lol

I love Smileys. They are totally my favorite on-line yarn store. I only wish the minimum order was a little lower nowadays!

Their prices are excellent, no doubt about it. It WOULD be nice if the minimum was lower, though.

I've heard of Smiley's and actually been to their website. Unfortunately their special offers don't apply to Alaska - the shipping is more (supposedly anyway) because most companies will only ship via UPS or FedEX to Alaska. I mainly buy locally anyway though I've had some very sweet Internet friends who've offered to accept shipments and then mail them to me via cheapest route. I just hate inconveniencing people this way if I can get it locally.

I've been hearing about everybody's great experience with Smiley's but I haven't tried yet. I keep looking and think pretty soon I will have to bite the bullet and order tons of yarn cause we know winter is just around the corner :devil and I'll need to be making sweaters in preparation.

` debby

I have gotten within a fraction of placing smileys orders a couple of times. I don't know how I've stopped myself to be quite honest. :think One of these times tho, I'm not going to be able to restrain myself, and it's not going to be pretty. :blush

:hyperthis side of me saying to go online smileys then this side of me be good good:goodorbadthis side of me is saying click the fav buttom and go get more yarn go get more yarn

your smiley is so apt for this!!! LOL

I live in NYC and Smileys is about a half hour away. They don't take checks at the brick and mortor store either. CASH only!. I haven't been impressed with the retail store. I'd rather go to Anglicrafts for my Red Heart. I only buy their classic bernat baby for a buck a skein and even that;s a bit high for only 3 oz.

Some of the prices at the store are more than their online prices, I believe. Just in case anyone is making a pilgrimage to Queens.

Wow!!!! :eek I just did a search for the website and I am impressed. Looks like I will be getting introuble with this website as well...:devil.

Thanks Elle for the post.

You're very welcome! They ship quickly, too! They're in NY, I live all the way down in south Texas, and I had my yarn in four days with both orders! :c9

I just placed my order :jumpyayyesterday; I can't wait for it to get here. It was no problem getting the minimum amount either....I don't know if that was a good thing or not :think. I already have projects lined up for all the yarn :crocheting.

Happy Crocheting !

• 2 weeks later...
I just placed my order :jumpyayyesterday; I can't wait for it to get here. It was no problem getting the minimum amount either....I don't know if that was a good thing or not :think. I already have projects lined up for all the yarn :crocheting.

Happy Crocheting !

I recieved my yarn on Wednesday and man am I excited! :yay I have already begun making a list fo my next order!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience Elle.

I recieved my yarn on Wednesday and man am I excited! :yay I have already begun making a list fo my next order!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience Elle.

You're welcome! I'm going to have to start looking over my shoulder, because someone's husband is eventually going to put a contract out on me for alerting their wife to Smiley's. :lol Seriously, though, I'm glad that it went so well for you. I can't wait to place another order with them. I'm probably going to do another order around Labor Day weekend to order more of the Lion Brand Color Waves for Christmas Shawlers. I just finished one in Color Waves Purple Vista and it's GORGEOUS when it's made up! I still have nine skeins of Lion Brand Color Waves Pebble Beach for me, but I can't start it until after the Purse/Tote Swap and the Crochet Greek Games. By that time Labor Day will be here and I can make another order with them to take me through the autumn months. I can't wait!!! :c9

I just placed my first order with Smileys...thanks to this site I've discovered this great find!! Jaeger Roma at 1.99? OMG..unheard of. Now I have to figure out where to hide it....

Oh, I know!! The prices on some of their yarn are not to be believed! 80% off in some cases! :eek

Archived