Article about my grandson's afghan

rvan777

I think that was a wonderful gift for your grandson, but that first comment shook me to the core.

What does that mean??? you did not cut the flag up and gave it to him, you made it with love from your heart, I wonder about the nerve of some of these people!!!!! how rude is that comment.

Anyways, Ruth you did a fantastic job, keep your head high girl.:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

:cheerGreat article! how proud your grandson is!

:eekshocked to see the first comment! its not like you cut a flag up and used it! the thinking of some poeple!

The commenter must be a leftover from the 70's. People were arrested for sewing small American flags on the butt pockets of their jeans as a protest against the Vietnam War. Some cities/states reacted by enacting laws making it illegal to wear, burn, or recreate a flag for any purpose but flying it on a flagpole. The issue got in front of the Supreme Court and laws were knocked down -- I believe it was a freedom of speech decision.

Some people will say anything anonymously.

:clap That is a beautiful blanket for your grandson and he is a really neat person to want it.

First person's comment: forget about it. There are weird people everywhere and we just need to ignore them.

I have flag shirts, my camo purse/backpack that my son brought me back from Iraq with his Unit ID on it also has an American Flag on it, flag socks, and several Blue Star Flags that I made myself following the DOD rules. I have a T-shirt that has the American Flag, the Blue Star Flag, my son's unit and his rank and name on it.

You did a great job and should make sure you take care of that article so you can look at it again a few years down the road.

~ Debby

You must be very proud that a newspaper wrote the article on your grandson! Yes, that truly is a work of art. I'll bet you had fun "knitting" it. :lol

Thanks crochetstepmom for the link on the treatment of the US flag. I didn't know all that stuff and it was an interesting read. Good thing there are no penalties because I've broken quite a few of the rules, which seem more like superstitions to me.

I don't think they're superstitions - I think they're a matter of respect. Try to remember that the origonal flags were made of cotton or wool and didn't stand up well to the elements or to getting dirty and needing to be cleaned.

Super awesome. Also the first comment (to the article not this post) is not well thought out. I have seen trashy people wearing like American flag underpants so really an afghan is not so bad.

Thats just beautiful! The afghan, the story and the adorable picture of that little man - all of it!

The overall idea and sentiments come through on the story and as for the comment some people can't help themselves to be rude so we just have to try and ignore it the best we can. They certainly didn't take away from the story at all. I see no disrespect in that being a flag or its use.

ETA - I can see somewhat of a view point in the comment and appreciate that but the manner it was stated was very rude.

Wow!! What a beautiful afghan!! Every time I see the flag, no matter what form it is in, my heart skips a little beat. Your grandson is precious and a special little man. You should be so proud of him.

The only thing I can say about the article is.....how did you complete that gorgeous afghan in just three weeks?? Totally awesome.

Happy Crocheting!

MC

I agree that first comment was uncalled for!! You did an awsome job and thats gorgeous...I also have made the flag for someone...and I was proud of it!!

Archived