Way to cast on without a tail?

Krystal16

Here is my issue with using the long-tail cast on. I NEVER gauge it right for how long of a tail I'm going to need!

I either run out and have to frog it and start over (:irk) OR I have this enormous leftover piece that bothers me with its wastefulness.

Is there a casting on method that doesn't require this long tail, where I can just start at the end and keep on going?

I don't care if it's slower or anything, I don't set any speed records knitting anyway.

There is a knitted cast on, but I've never mastered it. I bet that knittinghelp.com has a video of how to do it. And there's also something called a cable cast on. I've always wanted to learn various ways to cast on, but haven't tried. Maybe that's what I should tackle next.

Patty

Tip- For the long tail cast on wrap your yarn loosely around the needle once for each stitch your casting on. Make your slipknot, then slide the wrapped yarn off the needle and use it for your cast on tail. I give myself an extra inch or two.

Try it with just a few stiches and see how it works, I love it.

you can use the finger-thumb cast-on (single cast-on) it has nothing to do with the tail but it is hard to work from for a novice/beginner there is the knitted cast-on and the cable cast-on the trick to the knitted cast-on is to knit it very loosely so it is actually usable. goodluck

check out knittinghelp.com for help with videos of the cast-ons

I've never used the long-tail cast on. It's one of those things I keep telling myself I should learn!

I always knit my stitches on. Make a slipknot and put it on your left needle. Knit it as usual, but instead of slipping the slipknot off, pull the stitch on your right needle up and slip it onto the left needle. Now you have two stitches. Knit into the one you just put there and slip it onto the left needle the same way, keep going until you have all the stitches you need.

You can do this cast on using a size larger needles than you will use for the project. This will make it more flexible.

How cool! We all use different cast ons! I use the backward-loop cast on. You make a loop with your fingers and turn to place the yarn backwards on the needle. It is a lot faster than the long tail method and so far my favorite. There is a video here but it is a little different than I do.

P.S. scroll down, it's listed under single cast-on

How cool! We all use different cast ons! I use the backward-loop cast on. You make a loop with your fingers and turn to place the yarn backwards on the needle. It is a lot faster than the long tail method and so far my favorite. There is a video here but it is a little different than I do.

P.S. scroll down, it's listed under single cast-on

I started with this one. My grandma taught it to me and that was how I learned. Then when I really picked up knitting I use the knitt on cast on and for socks the long tail cast on.

There are several different type or ways to cast on. Each and every one of them produce a different effect and edge. Some are streathcy and some are more ridged. You really need to use the appropriate cast on for the project you are doing. When I first realized this I researched all different types and taught them to myself.

First pair of sock I knitted the leg opening wouldn't streatch so I had to frog it and figure it out.

There are several different type or ways to cast on. Each and every one of them produce a different effect and edge. Some are streathcy and some are more ridged. You really need to use the appropriate cast on for the project you are doing. When I first realized this I researched all different types and taught them to myself.

First pair of sock I knitted the leg opening wouldn't streatch so I had to frog it and figure it out.

That is so true! I like the long tail cast on for socks because the backward-loop method doesn't stretch as much.

I usually estimate about an inch per stitch when casting on with the long tail. That leaves enough left for seaming (of course this will vary with your yarn/needle size/gauge). If you're going to be seaming, you might as well plan to have a long piece of yarn left from your cast on anyway.

On the other hand if you do come up short by a few stitches you can always knit those on rather than rip it out and start over.

The "Knitting Answers Book" has a few different cast-on methods in there. It really does depend what you're making as to what kind of cast on you should use. I'd highly recommend the book. Much like the 'Crochet Answer Book" there's lots of great all-around good information in there.

• 4 weeks later...

The finger-loop cast on leaves such a long strand between the stitches that I abandoned it. I love the long-tail cast on...it is very durable and sturdy and useful for so many patterns as a good base start. Some patterns even require a long tail or sewing later, like kids' sweaters, baby clothes, doll clothes. A trick is to tie the tail into a bow to keep it out of the way and distinguish it, initially, from the yarn coming from the skein. I don't mind the tail...oftentimes, I am using it later to sew up a seam.

Archived