How much would you pay for yarn at an estate sale?

Does it really depend on the brand? Would you pay 1/2 price or close to new price as any pennies off is a good thing? What standards do you set when you are shopping "used" (as in bought but still a full skein) yarn?:yarn

I find estate sales to be pretty expensive as opposed to garage sales or thriftstores. So unless it's something I can't live without, I will pass it over.

Having said that, if the yarn you're finding at an estate sale is something you can't live without, is within your budget, and you're not buying it just because you can ;), I say go for it. If it's a good quality yarn and you have a project in mind, paying 1/2 the retail price probably isn't too bad...though I would make a lower offer (even if you thought it was a good deal).

One thing I do at those sales is to smell the yarn. If the family has been smokers, heavy cooking, and other odors linger in the yarn and are very hard to work with.

I prefer garage sales where the people are just happy to get rid of yarn for a quarter, verses the professional estate people where they are trying to get as much as they can for the estate.

And I still smell the yarn there too.

:manyheart

Thanks for posting this! I have been thinking about "shopping" estate sales, but now I may rethink it.

How do you find garage sales with yarn? Or do you just have to hit them all and hope for the best? I work full time, so I miss the best garage sales.

Do thrift stores really get alot of yarn? Has anyone thought of posting a notice at a thrift store "I Want Yarn" or something?

Do thrift stores really get alot of yarn? Has anyone thought of posting a notice at a thrift store "I Want Yarn" or something?

There's only one thrift store I frequent on a regular basis (though there are a ton of 'em in the Denver area). They always have at least a few large bags of yarn or thread. I rarely buy any yarn anymore (overstocked!) but always look for full balls of thread (with the wrapper). But I can find upwards of 20 skeins of matching yarn or thread for $5.

Personally, I wouldn't post a notice because I don't need any more yarn and I'd have to move to a larger house because of the response!

Thanks! My stash is dwindling fast. My hubby thinks its still alot of yarn (but compared to his tools, electronics that don't work, and other junk) I disagree. Maybe we should measure the cubic feet of space that we each fill with our "junk". I KNOW I would win that battle.

My son is moving out soon, and I have already claimed his room for my sewing and crafting stuff. My hubby has the whole shed outside and half the laundry room. We'll see . . . .

I give away everything I make, so I try to keep my costs down. I will use donated yarn to start projects, but have to buy the "background" yarn - white, etc. -- to finish them. Everyone at my church knows I crochet (I always have it with me) so they give me yarn.

There is a thrift shop here called 'Value World' used to be called Value Village and they always have yarn by the bags there. I pay anywhere from $10 to $26 and leave out with two to three bags full of yarn.

I look for less than a dollar for a full skein. If I really wanted the yarn, I would pay more. There are so many folks with attics or closets full of yarn they'd love to give away if someone would just come get it.

Thrift stores here vary from 50 cents to $1 a skein. Partial skeins are less.

I agree with smelling the yarn first.

Check and see if your area has Freecycle on the internet. I get a lot of free yarn through this site. Also you can as on Craig's list too for yarn or to buy it cheap. I don't have any luck buying yarn at thrift stores. It is usually old and weird colors. I think that so many people now are selling their things on the internet, that good deals at the thrift store are getting scarce.

I haven't bought any yarn at estate sales, but I have found it a yard/garage sales, thrift stores and flea markets. I ALWAYS smell the yarn first, because I find that sometimes it has been stored in the basement or is very old and is difficult to work with if it smells. I have tried with some success febreeze and or dryer sheets. My mother buys me yarn sometimes and she just picks it up doesn't examine (she doesn't crochet or knit so she doesn't know what to look for), she sees the bargain and thinks of me.:)

If the yarn needs cleaning (full skeins), remove the label and stuff them into old panty hose legs. Tie them like sausages and machine wash/dry according to the label (cold water and Woolite is best). knee highs work for small skeins. I've only done full skeins, but it might work on balls too.

Ellie 13

Smell it!! What great advice that is! I have NEVER thought to do that. I'm going to an estate sale that has "knitting stuff" and "more yarn than walmart" :clap I hope I am able to find some really nice yarns that the estate people won't know is nice and they sell it for cheap. :giggle

Archived