The magic sponge

Several years ago, a friend gave me a "magic sponge":think. She said that when I use it to wash dishes I wouldn't need any soap!:eek The "magic sponge" is made from regular scrap yarn, in dc rounds, both ends are open (looks like a wrist warmer), and is the size of a regular sponge.:crocheting The other day, in desperate need of a new sponge, I got it out and tried it. Well, it's fantastic! I've noticed the coffee and tea stains on my favorite mugs are disappearing, my stainless is sparkling...It really is magic!:cheerI do use soap, though!) This is a great 5min project, or perfect for kids just starting out. :yarn

I'm struggling to write this in such a way that I can politely show skepticism that it's magic. It's hard to do on a public board. I think many stains go away when scrubbed a bit with slightly rough cloth. II like the crochet sponges because they do make a better scrubbing device than a sponge. Someone posted a pattern a while back for making a Swiffer replacement. Those work great as well and use much less chemicals because of the rougher surface.

I made a bunch of the spiral scrubbies from the Bernat Fleck yarn and all the recipients loved them and they did think it was magic how well they cleaned. I gave out the 6 scrubbies and 6 copies of the pattern. :wlol

The "magic sponge" is made from regular scrap yarn, in dc rounds, both ends are open (looks like a wrist warmer), ...................... This is a great 5min project, or perfect for kids just starting out. :yarn

I have 3 or 4 patterns and was wondering which one you were referring to? I don't think I have this particular one that looks like a "wrist warmer" and I have not made any for myself, soooooo.........which one should I make that will do all these great cleanings? Or is it the yarn?

Darski,

Do you by any chance still have that magic pattern?

all the magic is in the Acryllic WW yarn from Bernat. That Fleck yarn was really scratchy.

I didn't keep a copy of my pattern as it was just a sc ribbing to form a square "sponge". I typed it out for the giftees but then I deleted the file.

I just realized that I misspoke in my first post. I did develop a pattern of my own for the square scrubbie which is hardly original, how many ways can you make a rectangle with sc ribbing? :wlol

What a great idea for all those odd and end scrapes that I have accumulated! Sounds like a good mindless project to carry in my purse too!

I have 3 or 4 patterns and was wondering which one you were referring to? I don't think I have this particular one that looks like a "wrist warmer" and I have not made any for myself, soooooo.........which one should I make that will do all these great cleanings? Or is it the yarn?

I don't have a pattern for the sponge since I didn't make it. If I can get a picture posted I think you'll be able to make it without a pattern. I'm going to try to post a picture (don't hold your breath) and I'm going to try to make one without a pattern (I'm a "need-a-pattern person") Wish me luck on both tasks!

I don't have a pattern for the sponge since I didn't make it. If I can get a picture posted I think you'll be able to make it without a pattern. I'm going to try to post a picture (don't hold your breath) and I'm going to try to make one without a pattern (I'm a "need-a-pattern person") Wish me luck on both tasks!

Picture? Picture? You said you have a picture? (LOL) :laughroll I know what you mean about that!

I made a round scrubber last night. One side with double thread and the back side with one thread, out of RH WW and a J hook,then just sc'd the two pieces together with a sc and ch1 around and join. Cute.

I'll keep checking for yours! :D

I made two sponges yesterday, just dc in rounds 25sts,7 rows, . i'm satisfied:clap. plan to make more to send to my mom, she can distribute them to my sis, and aunts along with some dishrags.

no luck with the pic. sorry, can't figure out how to do it:shrug, and not enough time to mess around to try and figure it out!:confused

• 1 month later...

Archived