Shawler CAL

I purchased some yarn for this. Tell me if I did this right.

I decided against Homespun for now because of the price and bought some Bernat Softee Chunky instead. I really liked the look and feel of that yarn. The color is a neutral -Soft Taupe. I'll have to buy a fantastic button!

I purchased ten 164 yard skeins. So 1640 yards. Perhaps too much but in a neutral color I suppose I'll find a use for any extra.

Skeins were on sale for $1.47 each !!!

Did I do right?

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not good with the math of this stuff. Does the pattern suggest 6 or 7 skeins of homespun. I think I have seen some that used a little more then 6. My wrapper on my homespun says that there is 185 yards per skein. So that would be 1110 used if one only uses 6 skeins of homespun but 1295 if using 7 skeins. So. If it sounds to me like you have enough to make it with what you got.

I purchased some yarn for this. Tell me if I did this right.

I decided against Homespun for now because of the price and bought some Bernat Softee Chunky instead. I really liked the look and feel of that yarn. The color is a neutral -Soft Taupe. I'll have to buy a fantastic button!

I purchased ten 164 yard skeins. So 1640 yards. Perhaps too much but in a neutral color I suppose I'll find a use for any extra.

Skeins were on sale for $1.47 each !!!

Did I do right?

You sure did! You should have plenty. :yes

I am two rows and tucking ends away from having my first side done!!! Woo Hoo.

I can't wait to get it done so that I can post a pic. I am torn right now on this one. Do I want a hood or just a coller. I just don't know!!

I got stuck on the cuffs and this is how Shelle explained it to me......

You attach the yarn in the first free loop of the beginning chain (on the very first row you made, which is the wrist area), ch 13, then you are single crocheting your way back towards the wrist area. After you've made your 12 sc, you'll join with a slip-stitch to the next free lp (on that same first row of the wrist area). Then slip-stitch in the next free lp, ch 1, turn. Now single crochet in each single crochet (back loops only), ch 1, turn. Does this make it any clearer? :think

Ok can I ask a dumb question about the cuffs.

Do you do the first 3 rows on the 12 sc then on the 4th row you go right across the wrist edge. This is correct.

I got stuck on the cuffs and this is how Shelle explained it to me......

Sorry but what you just showed as how to do it is the same as in the pattern and from what I can read of that your only crocheting on the 12sc not on the rest of the wrist edge. Im so confused.

Yes! Exactly! Working in back lps only gives it a ribbed effect. I went ahead & did up a little swatch. I don't know why the pics turned out so dark (all but one), but I think you'll be able to see it okay.

cuff4.jpg

Blurry, but hopefully you can see what's going on here after Row 1 of the cuff.

cuff.jpg

After 2nd row of cuff.

cuff1.jpg

After 3rd row.

cuff3.jpg

Pretending this is a full size sleeve, cuff is done.

Hope this helps. :hook

Thanks so much, boy did I get it wrong.

Shelleden i just got to say, I just love this pattern! on my fifth one, but did you ever think of pockets? I'm one of those people who have to put their hands somewhere! lol Do you think maybe slanted triangle type ones or do you think it would ruin the look? I just can't wait to give these at x-mas!

Shelleden i just got to say, I just love this pattern! on my fifth one, but did you ever think of pockets? I'm one of those people who have to put their hands somewhere! lol Do you think maybe slanted triangle type ones or do you think it would ruin the look? I just can't wait to give these at x-mas!

I have thought of pockets. I'm like you - I like pockets - a place to put my chapstick, keys, kleenex, whatever... If you add pockets, please post a picture. What about an upside-down triangle - it would compliment the pointy shape. Have you posted pics of your Shawlers?

I'm so glad you like the pattern!

I'm working on a new design that's simliar to the Shawler - 3/4 sleeves, straight across the bottom, post-dc border and collar. :hook

I can't wait to see the new design! I'm sure it will be as popular as this one. :clap

I have finished the first side of my shawler and notice that the colors sort of work out in a way that has all the golds (I'm using Fiesta) on one side and the other colors on the other. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't mix a little better. I started the second side last night and hope it works out similiar so the two sides "match". Either way I can't wait to see the finished product. I bought the black and grayish Homespun (Edwardian, I think) for my next one. I was going to try one in wool but may wait for the new pattern :lol

Wow you have made nearly 4 of these, thats amazing. Yes pockets would look great I think.

I have thought of pockets. I'm like you - I like pockets - a place to put my chapstick, keys, kleenex, whatever... If you add pockets, please post a picture. What about an upside-down triangle - it would compliment the pointy shape. Have you posted pics of your Shawlers?

I'm so glad you like the pattern!

I'm working on a new design that's simliar to the Shawler - 3/4 sleeves, straight across the bottom, post-dc border and collar. :hook

Oh cant wait to see your new design.

Oh and as for the cuff I have now worked it out thanks to the picture tutorial. Sometimes I just need pictures to see what has to be done. :lol Anyway its looking good now.

Good morning.

I am 4 rows away from sewing the 2 sides together.

I usually take this along with me to mom and dad's doc visits which we have one of today. I don't think I want to be trying to fit it to myself today while at the doc. Soo. It is going to get left behind and maybe finished tonight as far as sewing together goes. I will get to the hood and cuffs this week.

I am thankful for the pictures of the cuff, this is going to help me so much.

I have not. Are you talking about seeing how the yarn colores out or are you talking about size wise. If it is size wise I don't think there is a guage for this pattern.

Does anyone work up a swatch before they begin?

I started with the hood last night. I think the sleeves are going to be too long. I maybe should have gone with 38 rows instead of 40, but, we shall see after it is done. Hood, cuffs and then tuck a few ends. I have been tucking as I was, but, got to the hood last night and was so excited that I skipped a bit of tucking!!LOL

I started with the hood last night. I think the sleeves are going to be too long. I maybe should have gone with 38 rows instead of 40, but, we shall see after it is done. Hood, cuffs and then tuck a few ends. I have been tucking as I was, but, got to the hood last night and was so excited that I skipped a bit of tucking!!LOL

My sleeves are a little long and I just fold back my cuff and it's fine...I can also unfold them to cover my hands if they get cold. Can't wait to see your finished Shawler. I really need to get started on another.

I've been peeking in this thread off and on for a long time. I've had the shawler as a WIM almost from the first time I saw the pattern. I just love the look. So finally, FINALLY, I bought the yarn for it, came home and ordered the pattern, and I'm off and running--about 15 rows done so far.

I really splurged on the yarn--Katia Azteca, 50% wool, 50% acrylic. It's self-striping and soft, soft, soft. I'm loving working with it and can't wait to wear this! You can see the yarn here: http://www.yarndexforyarn.com/Azteca_by_Katia_yarn.shtml

I bought the 7803 color--shades of green.

I've seen the Azteca listed as worsted weight, bulky weight, and aran weight, so who knows? The yardage is about right, so that's what counts. I'm using interconnected double crochets so I won't have the gaps that dc usually gives, and I'm loving that, too (it's the first time I've used that stitch).

Can you tell I'm excited about this project? I've been under a lot of stress lately--still ongoing--and yesterday I indulged in some serious retail therapy, and am now spending my time making something for ME.

I'm not divulging how much I spent on this yarn, though. :lol It was my money, so no one needs to know!

Archived