Care Bear CAL

Anyone up for a Care Bear CAL? I need to make 3 or 4 before Christmas 2008. I know I have a little while to do this, but with all the other projects I have in the works, I wanted to allow myself enough time for them. So occasionally someone may have to give me a :kick

I figured we could start around the 15th of April. I have some of my yarn already together, but I had to :ebay order a few colors and I'm waiting for that to come in.

The one's I'll be working on is:

Cheer bear

Funshine Bear

and Bedtime Bear

I will be doing them as a cross-stitch, but if you have another way you would like to make your's that is fine.

I look forward to finding out if anyone else is interested.

Blessings,

Lynn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Priszm ~ Share Bear ~ Completed

Lady BeBop ~ Funshine Bear ~ Completed

Lady BeBop ~ Funshine Bear Afghan ~

Homesteadingwife ~ Cheer Bear Afghan ~

Unicorn37757 ~ Green Bear ~

CrossB4Me ~ Cheer Bear Afghan ~

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW Just today at the LYS I had the care bear afghan book in my hands and I was debating with myself whether or not if I should get it. I end up putting it back. I think in the book it called for sc and the color stitches for the care bear pattern was done as you crochet every row. I am very interested how to cross stitch the afghan. Do you use the afghan stitch and than cross stitch the care bear pattern??? Is your pattern from online or is it in a book??? Hugs and blessings, just curious and interested in this CAL.

I may be able to do one starting on the 15th of April. I've got to much started for doing one right now :lol DD has been wanting one for awhile now. I should do one before she grows out of it :lol

I think if I do one I'd make a graph and do it in Tunisian stitch that was my plan a couple months ago anyway. :)

WOW Just today at the LYS I had the care bear afghan book in my hands and I was debating with myself whether or not if I should get it. I end up putting it back. I think in the book it called for sc and the color stitches for the care bear pattern was done as you crochet every row. I am very interested how to cross stitch the afghan. Do you use the afghan stitch and than cross stitch the care bear pattern??? Is your pattern from online or is it in a book??? Hugs and blessings, just curious and interested in this CAL.

The pattern I will using is from a pattern book called Care Bears Afghans Leisure Arts. It uses SC stitch and then each SC is a count for the cross stitch. Do you remember what the book was called? I would love to try one that I crocheted right in.

Blessings,

Lynn

I may be able to do one starting on the 15th of April. I've got to much started for doing one right now :lol DD has been wanting one for awhile now. I should do one before she grows out of it :lol

I think if I do one I'd make a graph and do it in Tunisian stitch that was my plan a couple months ago anyway. :)

What is the Tunisian stitch? Silly question, but I don't know what that one is. I was only taught the basic's, chain, single and double crochet. Everything else I have learned has been on my own. My great Aunt taught me and my sister, but my sister hated it.

Blessings,

Lynn

Heh, I have the Care Bears Characters book and I'm planning on making one for a friend's daughter. But mine has to be done by next month so I can send everything to my friend before she has her baby!

Heh, I have the Care Bears Characters book and I'm planning on making one for a friend's daughter. But mine has to be done by next month so I can send everything to my friend before she has her baby!

Please feel free to join in. I was actually considering going ahead and getting started with the colors I have. At least I could have the SC part done and ready for the cross stitching part by next month. I have a few other projects I wanted to complete before getting started on the cross stitch. So if you would like to join in, that would be great.

Blessings,

Lynn

I promised myself...only do CALs that I can commit. :(

Anyway...I am sooo in this one. :D

I'm expecting my first grandchild this October, and my DD (the mother-to-be) loves Care Bears. So I promised to make her a couple of Care Bears, plus an afghan.

Somewhere in the house, I have the Leisure Arts character book. I'll probably make a couple for the baby.

I don't have the afghan book, and I probably won't get it either. I can't do cross stitch. But I do have a chart for one of the Care Bears. I'll use that to make a graphghan.

ETA:

WOW Just today at the LYS I had the care bear afghan book in my hands and I was debating with myself whether or not if I should get it. I end up putting it back. I think in the book it called for sc and the color stitches for the care bear pattern was done as you crochet every row.

Cheeria, where did you find this book? 'Cause that's exactly how I like to do my graphghans. The only official books I've found were for the afghan stitch in which you cross stitch in the pattern.

if you have a graph to do cross stitch you can crochet the stitches in... you my have to plan it out on graph paper but it's not hard .. I've done graph-ghans like that for years... each x stitch on the graph is a sc or whatever stitch you're using.... I usually do it as a hdc

This sounds great, my daughter loves the care bears!:clap Is there any certain pattern? I have a book of the crocheted bears

No, certain pattern. Use which ever pattern you want to use.

Blessings,

Lynn

if you have a graph to do cross stitch you can crochet the stitches in... you my have to plan it out on graph paper but it's not hard .. I've done graph-ghans like that for years... each x stitch on the graph is a sc or whatever stitch you're using.... I usually do it as a hdc

The pattern booklet I have has the cross stitch graph included. I would prefer to crochet it in, but I have never done anything like that before. Thanks for this inforamtion, I may just do that crochet it in.

I may just try it the way you are talking about.

Blessings and Thanks again for the information,

Lynn

I started Share Bear yesterday, ok, I'm only on the head of the stuffed one. I have a question if anyone has actually done one of these yet.

If I'm reading round 15 right, I should have 4 spots for the cheeks marked?

Well, it seem's it has been awhile since I have done anything that was completely single crochet. :eek Anyway's, I have went ahead and started on Cheer Bear Afghan, and I'm working on the background that has to be cross-stitched. Here is my question, will the single crochet area be kinda stiff like? :think I have crocheted 22 row's so far and it is kinda stiff, this is the section to be cross-stitched on, is it suppose to be this way? I'm using a H hook and Red Heart Aran yarn, cause the book says they used RH WW yarn for the afghan's, but in the photo's it don't look that stiff. If I continue as it is will it soften after washing?

Should I frog this and use a different hook? If I should change hook size which would you recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Blessings,

Lynn

I started Share Bear yesterday, ok, I'm only on the head of the stuffed one. I have a question if anyone has actually done one of these yet.

Wish I could help you!! I have been considering getting that pattern book, so I can make my daughter a few of them. She loves Care Bear's.

Good luck, hope someone can help you out.

Blessings,

Lynn

Lynn~I have been watching this cal. I made a winnie the pooh afghan like this. The blanket did come out a little stiff but I think it would be warm. I wondered, after making mine, what it would have turned out like if you fallowed the pattern like a graph and changed colors as you went. I know not much help except to say that yes, you are right, it is somewhat stiff.

Lynn~I have been watching this cal. I made a winnie the pooh afghan like this. The blanket did come out a little stiff but I think it would be warm. I wondered, after making mine, what it would have turned out like if you fallowed the pattern like a graph and changed colors as you went. I know not much help except to say that yes, you are right, it is somewhat stiff.

Thank's Brenda, I was wondering about it. My plan was to cross-stitch this and maybe crochet the next one in and for the 3rd one use which ever I liked the best. I have been putting off making a Winnie-the-Pooh afghan, I have the pattern, I got at Wal-Mart's in the clearance section several year's ago, but never have committed myself to make on of them. I'll have to do that this winter.

Anyway, thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated. It is pretty stiff, kinda like a stiff crocheted belt. I was wondering if I should try a different hook and see how it will turn out. Any thoughts?

Blessings,

Lynn

And thanks Brenda for the info, I was kinda concerned with the stiffness of the afghan.

I have the head and body done. The 4 marked spots seemed to be right and it's worked so far. I had to laugh though. While working on it, I kept thinking if it was green, I'd have a Ninja Turtles head (no joke, that's what it looked like to me) and now that I have the head and body done with the neck defined, it looks like a mushroom :lol

I was trying to find the exact crochet threads needed. Sadly it seems only 2 are still in production. So I was scouting online yesterday to see what I could get as a match to what the pictures show when it hit me. I have a ton of embroidery thread for my cross stitching. I went and pulled out what seems like a match to the pictures (if not, it'll work) and I'll use that instead for the pink, blue and purple! Talk about being creative, plus if I run out of those colors, they're cheaper to replace :lol

Well, I decided not to frog those row's out. After reaching row number 30 it started drapping just beautifully, I gave it that much time. So with 30 rows down it is taking shape the way I had hoped. So I'm thilled about not having to frog those row's. :cheer I sure wouldn't have liked having to rip those row's out, but thankfully I don't have to. :clap

I have 30 row's down from 158 row's total just for the background. Hopefully, today I will get a few more done and marked off. I can't wait to see this one completed. Of course, my little Sunshine is all excited about having a croched Care Bear afghan on her bed.

Have a beautiful blessed crochet kind of day!!

Lynn

I have the head and body done. The 4 marked spots seemed to be right and it's worked so far. I had to laugh though. While working on it, I kept thinking if it was green, I'd have a Ninja Turtles head (no joke, that's what it looked like to me) and now that I have the head and body done with the neck defined, it looks like a mushroom :lol

I was trying to find the exact crochet threads needed. Sadly it seems only 2 are still in production. So I was scouting online yesterday to see what I could get as a match to what the pictures show when it hit me. I have a ton of embroidery thread for my cross stitching. I went and pulled out what seems like a match to the pictures (if not, it'll work) and I'll use that instead for the pink, blue and purple! Talk about being creative, plus if I run out of those colors, they're cheaper to replace :lol

I can't wait to see the finished project. I'm going to have to get that book so I can make my little girl a few. And see that turtle. LOL

Hope it is looking more like a bear by now.

Hugs,

Lynn

I can't wait to see the finished project. I'm going to have to get that book so I can make my little girl a few. And see that turtle. LOL

Hope it is looking more like a bear by now.

Hugs,

Lynn

Nope, still a mushroom :lol. I did the muzzle and part of one ear, but haven't sewn them on yet.

Archived