Does anyone use Space Bags to store yarn & thread to make smaller & keep safe?

Does anyone use Space Bags to store yarn & thread to make smaller & keep safe? I saw the bags at WalMart the other day and noticed they are reusable. You just pack them and then suck the air out with a vaccum hose.

It makes your stash smaller and protects it against everything, including water damage and little critters! I thougt of doing that so that my stash doesn't look so big and I can always reseal anything I open. They even have LARGE cubes so that I could stash my cones in...

Has anyone else thought of this or uses this method to store their yarn and thread?

That sounds like a great idea especially for me since I am so limited on space. I could just keep buying yarn and dh would never know just how much I have flattened away in bags...:rofl...He might even think that I finally used up a bunch of my stash. Hmmmm, now to get him out of the house long enough to suck the air out of a bunch of my yarn. :devil

I use those zip lunch bags to mail things in and to carry things in my bag. They work the same way and are transportable.

I use ziploc bags in my crochet bag and space bags for large amounts of yarn that I hide under my bed. I've only had one spacebag that the air came back in, but I still use the huge ziploc spacebag as a holder for yarn under my bed. When I pull it out I can see everything since the bag is clear. Works much better that the 4 large plastic bins I have with yarn, first I have to pull them out of the closet and then dig through everything!

That sounds like a great idea especially for me since I am so limited on space. I could just keep buying yarn and dh would never know just how much I have flattened away in bags...:rofl...He might even think that I finally used up a bunch of my stash. Hmmmm, now to get him out of the house long enough to suck the air out of a bunch of my yarn. :devil

EVERYTIME I go to the store... ANY store the 1st question I get asked is, "you didn't buy any yarn, did you?" As if noone here has ever heard that one! But, yeah... thought of taking my little used stash and putting it up.

I am doing an afghan so not knowing anything... he also might think I used up a bunch of yarn! :lol

I have some yarn that is special and don't know what to do with it yet. You know... the expensive kind that was on sale so you bought oodles of it and now don't have a project for it... Yet! :yes

I thought of the cubes for my cones. Thankx for everyone's input!

I actually used two large spacebags to keep my whittled-down stash in when I moved recently. They were MUCH easier to pack in the car all flattened like that, and I've kept them in the spacebags since unpacking, it makes carting my stash through the house easier - and I can hide spacebags behind chairs and such. Ha!

Tonight, Big Lots is giving 20% off from 6 to 9 PM if you have a Buzz Club coupon )you can join and print one right away.) They have sets of I think five XL and XXL space bags for $8.88. I'm glad you guys reminded me!:cheer

Thankx Becky!!!

I tried the space bags and didn't care for them too much. When I think about starting a new project, I go and dig through my stash and inflating them all. Then I have to break out the vac and flatten the bags out again. I had stored some blankets in them and after a while the air leaked out. The ones I still have, I use like great big zip lock bags.

I tried the space bags and didn't care for them too much. When I think about starting a new project, I go and dig through my stash and inflating them all. Then I have to break out the vac and flatten the bags out again. I had stored some blankets in them and after a while the air leaked out. The ones I still have, I use like great big zip lock bags.

Thankx Sharon... I will keep that in mind.

i DO, they work wonderful. I have them all organzied by brand and color so i know what i have in each bag. Some bags to end up leaking air and those i use for short term stuff....lol ive mailed my mom a quilt in one went from NC to CA and got there with no air leaked in:D

i DO, they work wonderful. I have them all organzied by brand and color so i know what i have in each bag. Some bags to end up leaking air and those i use for short term stuff....lol ive mailed my mom a quilt in one went from NC to CA and got there with no air leaked in:D

For some reason I can see where you put a few nice sweaters or an afghan or 2 in one and mail them off.. and poof, the air gets in and the package breaks... :lol and the poor doo doo that broke the seal for throwing the package in the 1st place about has a heart attack for all the commotion! :D

Does anyone use Space Bags to store yarn & thread to make smaller & keep safe? I saw the bags at WalMart the other day and noticed they are reusable. You just pack them and then suck the air out with a vaccum hose.

It makes your stash smaller and protects it against everything, including water damage and little critters! I thougt of doing that so that my stash doesn't look so big and I can always reseal anything I open. They even have LARGE cubes so that I could stash my cones in...

Has anyone else thought of this or uses this method to store their yarn and thread?

YEP, I have one of the large cubes in my craft room/office closet. the two suggestions I would make are, list everything you put in it so you can see what you have without opening it all the time,( I use Ravelry) and open it occassionally especially if you have any natural fires in it so they can breathe. Other than that they work wonderfully.

For some reason I can see where you put a few nice sweaters or an afghan or 2 in one and mail them off.. and poof, the air gets in and the package breaks... :lol and the poor doo doo that broke the seal for throwing the package in the 1st place about has a heart attack for all the commotion! :D

Ha ha that's funny, i did worry about it while it was in progress....;)

Archived