Fashion doll sizes and crocheting dresses

Barbara

My husband purchased a box of crochet patterns at a yard sale. In it I found a couple of beautiful victorian dress patterns for fashion dolls.

Not being familiar with dolls and their sizes...one pattern was for a 11.5" doll, which I presume is a Barbie. Correct?

One for a 11" fashion doll.....is that also a Barbie?

One for a 15" fashion doll....now what kind of doll is that?

I would like to try a victorian dress for a Barbie, however the patterns don't mention the skill level needed. I have made a handful of doilies and found them to be easy, but have never crocheted clothing of any kind.

Are they difficult to make? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

11.5" would be barbie...11" probably is too, I would think...15"? I have no idea. Based on the few patterns I've seen, I would think that if you can do doilies no problem, you should be able to handle fashion doll gowns too.

Have fun, can't wait to see your results!

HTH

I absolutely love to crochet barbie clothes...i probably have close to 400 patterns now. I think they are pretty easy. Its alot easier if you have a barbie you can try them on as you go.

I have made a few of my own patterns and also found a wonderful site for just barbie and ken clothes...i'm om love!!

Le me know how it goes!

The 11.5" would be a Barbie size doll, however you may need to make minor adjustments as you work since the dolls' bodies are not always the same proportions. The 15" doll is most likely a craft doll which can be purchased at Michael's or other craft stores.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely out of :lurk mode today!

I have made a couple of Barbie outfits now and the biggest thing I can say is that Barbies were not all created equal, and it's best to try the outfit on the prospective model as you go.

:crochetingFor my last set - the 1870's Travelling Cloak (shown here before blocking and without the petticoat)

barbie-needs-a-petticoat.jpg

- you can see some of the stages in my blog. I had to make the boots a fraction bigger and the waist band about another 5 dcs "wider" in order to fit the 1990's Barbie it was destined for.

I'd also endorse making the undergarments FIRST so that you can allow room in the top layer.

And if you're into entering Shows, the judges appreciate the "clever" little details. I crocheted the edges of the muff in the same two stranded thread and made tiny tassels...

hope that helps!:hook

Manda

There are some high end collectiable fashion dolls that are 15". Barbie is not the only game in town as far as fashion dolls go. Only other doll I can think of off the top of my head that might be 15" (but don't quote me) is a doll called Taylor.

Actually I just did a search for 15" fashion doll and this link came up for a Gene doll that is 15". These are not dolls that one would necessarily find at Walmart or Toys R Us.

http://collectdolls.about.com/od/dollprofiles/p/genedolls.htm

Yes the Barbie is the 11.5 and the 11 inch patterns. As others have said, be careful of the sizes, they are not all equal. The older ones are a little smaller.

Here is a 15" doll. You can get them at Michaels. She is the one in the back, in the green and white dress with the green and white hat. In front of here is Barbie in a fairyl outfit.:hook

th_March2006Table007.jpg(clickable)

11 inches could be Francie and perhaps Sindy, Tressy, Wendy - dolls of the past. 15 inchers could be the Fibre craft types, or Ideal's vintage Velvet, or some of the new ones by Tonner, such as Gene mentioned above. Also, some 15 inchers are thicker body toddler type or baby dolls, possibly CPKs - isn't Dora a 15 incher? Lots of the new Barbies have different proportions than what is considered standard 11 1/2 inch due to the "belly button" style body and a smaller bust.

• 2 years later...
Yes the Barbie is the 11.5 and the 11 inch patterns. As others have said, be careful of the sizes, they are not all equal. The older ones are a little smaller.

Here is a 15" doll. You can get them at Michaels. She is the one in the back, in the green and white dress with the green and white hat. In front of here is Barbie in a fairyl outfit.:hook

th_March2006Table007.jpg(clickable)

Did you make the green & white dress for the 15" doll...those are the types of clothes I am looking for so my mother-in-law can make her porcelain doll a victorian type dress. I know you can find patterns for Barbie but it more difficult to find one for an 18" doll, which she has come into. Thanks for any help!

Archived