Bean bags for school carnival

karebear

At my daughter's school, they are having their 2nd annual Carnival during the week of the Young Child on April 17th. I wanted to have a game of bean bag toss, and each child's 'prize' would be that they get to keep their bean bag. My problem is that I can't make all of the bags. I don't have an official head count yet, but I am expecting it to be some where in the rage of 60-80 bags. Once I get a true head count I will post it.

I thought that it would be a neat donation if I could get some of you wonderful people to help me make some of them. The bags should be small, like the bottom of a pop can. You can make them out of any sort of yarn that you wish. Just keep in mind that this game will be played outside. The only thing that I ask is that you make them in a tight stitch so that when they are filled (which I can do) that none of the beans will fall out. If you do want me to fill them, please leave a tail so that I can use it to close it up.

Please let me know if you would like to help and how many you think that you will be making.

Thank you all in advance for your help!!!

EDITED: I just got back from school and I was a little off on the head count. I totally forgot about one room. So the right head count is 90. Thank you all that is helping and that are planning on helping!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So yea round like a hackey sack or what? I have made a few hackey sacks before so I know how to make those I could even stuff them as I still have the plastic stuffing beads. :)

Oh thank you so much. Can't you tell that I have never asked anything like this?

I would need them by April 15th, this way I will know if I need to make a few extra.

You don't have to fill them at all...I can do that. This will also save on postage.

Shoot...round or square....you choose. Both are fine.

Here this is one.

Ch 2, 6sc in 2nd ch from hook. Do not join.

Round l: 2 sc each sc around. (12 sc)

Round 2: (sc, 2 sc next sc) around. (18 sc)

Rounds 3-4: Sc around.

Round 5: (2sc, inc next sc) around. (24 sc)

Rounds 6-7: Sc around.

Round 8: (2 sc, increase) around. (32 sc)

Rounds 9-10: Sc around.

Round 11: (Dec, 2 sc) around. (24 sc) Begin stuffing. Continue stuffing from here on working to keep ball round.

Rounds 12-13: Sc around.

Round 14: (sc, decrease) around. (18 sc)

Rounds 15-16: Sc around.

Round 17: Decrease around until 3 sc remain. Fasten off, weave closed.

NOTE: These balls can be worked in sport weight yarn, F Hook or worsted weight, G Hook. You can also make stripes by changing colors as you go.

Sorry,I missed your question. I was leaving the type of yarn up to the stitchers, only because this is a great way to use up some of you stash of leftovers.

I can not thank everyone enough for helping me out!!

I just tried out that pattern that I posted. I should of worked it before I posted. To me they are on the big side. I am going to make a new pattern later on today and post that one, if you need it. Sorry about that.

THis is what I have been using. I have worked quite a few of them and they are coming out nice. These are preschool age children so the bigger ones might be too hard for them to hold.

Ch2, 6sc in 2nd ch from hook. Do not join, work in rounds. (I leave a long tail so the I can just use that to weave in as a row marker and can just leave it there)

Rnd 1: 2sc in each sc around (12sc)

Rnd 2: (sc,2sc in next sc) around (18sc)

Rnd 3-4: sc around

Rnd 5: (2sc, inc next sc) around. (24sc)

Rnd 6-8: sc around (24sc)

Rnd 9-11: (sc, dec)

This is where I would ask you to stop, if you wish for me to fill them. Leave about a 6-8in tail so that I can add the last few stitches and fasten off.

Thank you all for doing this for me!!

As of right now I will say yes. Everyone that has responded so far, hasn't given me any amounts that they plan on making. So if you want to help out please join the fun!! Let me know when you have some reading and I will send you my address. Thanks!!!

Linda,

I am so sorry that it took so long for me to get back to you. I am tending to a sick child as well as fighting something here myself. I haven't been on since Friday. Please accept my apology.

As for your picture, let me ask you a few questions. Are you using a stitch marker or anything of that sort to keep track of your rows? To me it looks like you should be decreasing earlier. Which bring me to my next question, how are you decreasing? I truly hope that I am not offending you my any means with these questions. I do not know what sort of experience you have with crocheting. So I am asking out of ignorance on my part. Also what pattern are you using? There are 2 posted in the thread, please make sure that you are using the second one.

I will take a picture in the morning to show you the few that I have done. I hope that will help.

Linda,

I am so sorry that it took so long for me to get back to you. I am tending to a sick child as well as fighting something here myself. I haven't been on since Friday. Please accept my apology.

As for your picture, let me ask you a few questions. Are you using a stitch marker or anything of that sort to keep track of your rows? To me it looks like you should be decreasing earlier. Which bring me to my next question, how are you decreasing? I truly hope that I am not offending you my any means with these questions. I do not know what sort of experience you have with crocheting. So I am asking out of ignorance on my part. Also what pattern are you using? There are 2 posted in the thread, please make sure that you are using the second one.

I will take a picture in the morning to show you the few that I have done. I hope that will help.

Karin

WIPs:

Sports Team CAL: Steelers 8%

Graph ghan CAL: 2/3 done

Why is it so easy to make things and give them away? but to actually make something for your own personal use it next to impossible to do?!

Offened? Far from it hun! Actually, if anyone had a great laugh, I am happy. Its been so long since I picked up a hook! Can't tell huh? :laughroll Don't worry about taking so long to respond either. My 2 girls are home sick also. In fact, I have to take them to ped. in the morning. Figures. I have meds at home. Nurse told me Dr. wants to see them. Something going around. So? Back to the dr. I go! :D

Thats why I posted the pic. I knew it wasn't right! As for my stich marker, would you belive me if I told you by the time I even remembered (use safety pin), it was too late. I knew it was all wrong! Even my daughter looked at it funny and asked me what it was. I told her and she said "mommy, this is not a bean bag." :think So, thats why the pic.

I used your 2nd pattern to make it. Boy! I guessed I goofed good huh? :hook

If you can post a pic whenever you have time, I would greatly appreciate it. Then I have something to go bye.

I hope you and your child feel better really soon. What a shame. Bad time of year to get sick. Do you live where the cold has been hitting bad? I know alot of the states are being hit hard. So far so good here. Then again, things can change.

Take care and I am praying you all are feeling better real soon! :hug:manyheart

Thank you so much for understanding. We lost power here on Sunday and then had some nasty weather here. I am finally getting caught up. So I am going to make one up and take pictures as I go. I hope that this will help.

I am so happy your doing better hun! Take all the time you need hun. From the way it sounds, I can bang these out quick. Thats if I don't goof it again like my last one. :laughroll

I appreciate your patience with me!:c9 I just knew I goofed. The pics will help me alot!

Oh this is no big deal. As soon as I can connect my camera to my computer (which will hopefully be later on today) I will show you the pictures. I did a few while I was working it just to show you how leaving a long tail and weaving it through the different rows works great as a stitch marker. I appreciate everyones work on these.

I haven't forgotton you! I have just been really busy and now I am involved with the Secret Pal Swap. Once I get home (I am house/dog sitting until Sunday) I will have more time. I have two days off in a row and should be able to whip up some bags then!

Archived