Plastic bag -> flowers necklace

This is so pretty. I was just surfing and found this

http://dailydiy.com/2006/06/21/crochet-necklace-from-recycled-plastic-bags/

The link just takes you to CPC for flower patterns to make but I was thinking more of the inspiration factor :manyheart

There has been a goodly bit of recycled crochet here and it wouldn't break my heart if someone could make one of these for me to see :lashes

:heehee

I enjoy crocheting with plastic bags. I lucked out and was given some green bags..... guess the color is like medium to dark kelly green. I ended up crocheting 2 bells with red trim. I gave them to my daughter to hang outside. I will probably make some of these for her for next year. http://www.caron.com/projects/ss/star_ornament.html

Those are beautiful and recycled crafting is always fun and appreciated as gifts. While I don't have this necklace pattern, I do have many other free patterns if you're looking for a new recycled crochet project.

Happy New Year!

I have made a lined purse and lined tote bag from recycled plastic bags. You can also use the grocery bags on plastic canvas to make to make PC tote bags and you can make boxes of varied sizes to suit your needs also with the strips of plastic and PC. My daughter just knit an evening bag clutch from VCR tape. She's not good at finishing things, so I slip stitched the sides together and on the edge of the flap, I crocheted fan-type shells with a loop in the center for a button. The shells made the bag look fantastic. If I can't find a nice button, then I will crochet one.

As far as the flower necklace, I can easily see how the flowers would make nice earrings. Some months ago, on Etsy, a lady was selling her recycled tote bags for lots of money, and she also made plastic canvas earrings using the plastic yarn.

I don't know Darski.....I saw that pattern too, but the first thing that came to mind was how Comfortable is it to wear plastic around your neck????:eek I could see the earrings though........:hook

They are cute. How does one make the strips to crochet with out of plastic bags? Is there a site?

:manyheart

I was wondering the same thing, Linda. I was thinking of using plastic bags to make chair cushions for outside chairs this year but couldn't figure out how to start.

Marlo's Crochet Corner has instructions on making the plastic bag 'yarn', here. I have made some plastic bag purses/totes, and I have seen some plastic bag flowers on Cupcake's Etsy Store, Strewth. They are pretty cool. Or you could just make the flowers to put on your plastic bag totes?

Tina

Those flowers of cupcake's look like they were made on a knit-wit loom (Is that what they are called?) the little looms that make flowers by wrapping yarn around pegs.But any flower patterns would work as well and they make great outdoor coasters....placemats or even to cover up a small bowl of something at bar- be -ques or pick nicks (bug control). Try useing very soft plastic and a smaller hook and crochet tightly....then the pieces are less bumpy and won't tip over your glass! I think the softer plastic and smaller hooks are also necessary for a necklace/earrings or to use as a keychain perhaps???

Archived