question about washing finished objects

I am working on 4 round ripples for xmas gifts, my question is... All of these projects are made with rhss and two also have rhss and rh holiday yarn. I want to wash them before giving them as gifts, will any of the yarn bleed?\

One is rh claret and rh holiday aran and gold.

one is rh royal and sayelle white

one is rhss in cafe, cream, chocolate

one is rh black and rh holiday in white/silver

I want to see if washing the yarn will soften it up a bit the holiday yarn is a bit scratchy to me.

I wash RH in cold water, in delicate, with no laundry soap, just LIQUID fabric softener in the rinse. I do put them in the dryer on low long enough for the heavy water to dry (RH is machine washable and dryable). Then I lay it out to dry the rest of the way. Mine always comes out really nice. You will see some colors in the water that have escaped but I haven't had a problem with it. I just don't use soap. Good luck!!

i have never had an issue with bleeding, they also don't take color, which is why you can't dye the white yarn. It's not a natural fiber. I have washed stuff in hot water with soap and never had any bleeding.

I always wash mine. I live in a smoking house and I don't want to offend anyone with a gift that smells like smoke. I've never had any problems. I wash on gentle and dry on low. I use detergent and liquid fabric softener.

This is one reason I like red heart. I washed some of my sweaters and some dishclothes and the dishcloths in cotton did not dry as fast. I also live with smokers and dogs and we have a wood stove with smoke from there. So I wash my stuff. And if I can I leave it in my car (trunk usually) until I give it away so it can still small half decent (hopefully not like car fumes ;)

Debbi

I've only used redheart once in a bright verigated and white baby blanket. I washed in cold (normal cycle, just threw in with the rest of the wash; since I have to go to the laundry mat, I'm not paying for an almost empty load!), with soap and dried fully in the dryer on medium with dryer sheets. Softened up imensly, with no bleeding at all!

I wash everything I ever make and nothing has ever happened to it. I just use cold water and what ever laundry soap we have at the time. Then I pop them in the dryer with a couple of dryer sheets and they are nice and soft and smell lovely. :hook

wow, thanks for all the responses to my question! I knew the ladies here would be able to answer my question. I have been away from the computer trying to finish xmas shopping, finish the round ripples, and dealing with family issues.....As I am typing now I am finishing up the last round on the blended cafe, chocolate, and cream rr, I feel like I have a ghan on my legs all the time now. :) Glad to hear that the colors wont bleed, I was really wondering about the claret/aran-gold since red fabrics do tend to bleed alot, in this case thank goodness for acrylic!!

Thanks again, will post pics soon.

Archived