Snowman ornament

nevadamama

I've never matsered the art of crocheting with thread but I enjoy what others can do. I bought this snowman, at a craft fair, over twenty years ago for $6. People thought it was an outragous price but then they didn't know the skill and work that went into it. It's been a treasure all these years. This picture really doesn't do it justice.

crochetedsnowmanthreadqx7.jpg

For those interested in the pattern: I have a book called Victorian Crochet Ornaments, book 2. You can see a picture of it here http://www.buggsbooks.com/crochetmisc.html (sorry that may take a long time to load. this book is toward the bottom of the list. there are also a lot of other interesting books on there.)

As you can see on the cover there is a teddy bear. The nose and ears are glued to the head. so if you left them off I think you would have the snowman. There is also a pattern for a top hat, but I'm not sure if it is in scale to the bear or not.

the book is from 1984, pub by Sandy crafts in Ontario and designs are all by Sandra Peach. The round pieces are to be made over styrofoam balls and stiffened, then you use a crochet hook to break the styrofoam and get it out of the crochet piece. Bear's arms and legs are made over any tubular object of the right size. All the individual pieces are then glued together. I don't think I have ever made anything from this book, maybe a basket. I seem to be keeping it out of nostalgia:lol All that finding the right size things to block over just seemed like too much work to me.

Googling to find a pic of the book to link to, i found book 1 which has a snowman but he looks different. http://www.blujay.com/item/Victorian-Crochet-Ornaments-10140103-1769300 snowman is in the pic of the back cover.

• 10 months later...

Archived