matching set ideas for tote bag..Xmas gift ?

I just started venturing out into making purses/ handbags/totes. I have only made one which is an oval tote I designed myself. I think it turned out nice for my first one.

I want to make my daughters, ages 12 and 8, one for Christmas but I am not sure what ,if anything ,I want to make to go along with it.

Originally I was thinking of doing the bag with a nice shawl , but I have never made one before, and then I thought about doing the bag with a matching scarf and hat set. Would like to get some feedback to see if that is my only choice. We are in Texas so it doesn't stay cold here very long but it does get cold.

In case you are wondering..yes they are a little young for purses but they are purse fanatics ! They play with them around the house mostly.

The colors I picked for these projects are :

2 Pink Camo and 1 Petal Pink for one set and

2 Cherry Chip and 1 Magenta for the other set

Also bought Light Rasberry although I can't remember what I was going to do with it.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas ! Thanks in advance.

A shawl can be quick and simple. I think your older daughter might appreciate that more than the younger. You could always make a more 'open' hat and scarf so that they can be worn in a wider range of temps. Hats and scarves are pretty quick and don't take much yarn. Shawls tend to take more yarn.

They mainly play school after coming home from school.Please don't ask.. I have no idea why lol. The colors were so pretty on that Wal-mart shelf I just had to buy them. Now I can't figure out what to do with them. The shawl for the oldest daughter is a great idea except I have never made one before so I wouldn't know where to start. For the younger daughter I have the think of something pretty special to go with her bag because she is going to wonder why she doesn't have a shawl like here sister. I think I should have left those pretty skiens of yarn on the shelf !lol

In case you are wondering..yes they are a little young for purses but they are purse fanatics ! They play with them around the house mostly.

They're never too young.

My daughter is four and has been hauling a purse out to the stores and wherever since she was about 2 1/2. She usually has pens and paper and an action figure or doll in them. She used to take them empty. lol

I say make hats and even a skinny girly scarf. If you look around CPC or wherever, you'll find some cute spring time hats that should work for you.

I just made my daughter at least 5 or 6 hats and she has two scarfs so far.

Oh and I loved playing school when I was young and still in school. ;)

Having lived in Dallas area for almost 6 years I completely understand the hat/scarf hesitation. The shawl(s) would be fantastic for dress up. you could make a shawl from sc even if you wanted. Just chain as many wide as you want then keep going till it is long enough:). Or go to websites and find those listed as easy and choose one you like. You would be surprised how quick and easy a shawl can be, especially for children. Also you go go with a funky hat just for the fun of it.

Half Granny Square Shawl here's one that I've done several of. This is the pattern I've used too (but from another source). Also gives great instructions for a beginner crocheter. The picture is a little hard to see, so herre's my blue & white one: Granny Style Shawl .

Triangle Shawl from looks easy. I've started one like it and it is (beame a WIP and then a not finished project I think I frogged...). This has photos to help you. It's open so it could work for warmer weather. You could use any yarn. And you start from the bottom point, so you work up to the size you want.

Debbi

I was going to suggest a poncho too! My sister and I loved dressing up in those in the 80's (tho we NEVER wore them outside...back then they were definitely NOT in fashion). And for active little girls, they stay on better than a shawl...unless it's a cape-style shawl with a button on the front...hmmmm

And my 3yo also loves her purses. :)

Rather than a heavy, too-warm scarf, maybe one of those twisty, curly, girly scarves--almost more like a boa to wear and dress up in.

Also, no matter how hot it might be in Texas, dolls can wear hats, scarves, and ponchos, too.

You could make some pretty little doll blankets, too, if they play with dolls.

Ok I am loving the shawl that was posted by Debbi -a1. I really like the half granny one. Now like I said before I have never made one before so what is the difference between a shawl and a poncho? I would like something that would work for outdoors as well as indoors when they have the Ac on in the school and the girls are cold.

I am going to go with the one Debbi-a1 posted to start with and move up from there. Thanks for all the great ideas ! Who knows they may still get a matching hat and scarf to go along with the poncho and purse. I will post a pick of the set when I am done in one of the show and tell topics. Thanks again.

Feederofthepack..thanks for the link. I checked it out but I did not see a Charlottes Web poncho. Do you mean the Spider Web poncho? Also you might want to check out your sig. your link doesn't work because you have http:// typed twice in front of the address. Thanks again.

Archived