DH wants to get into hook making!

DH is going to try making wooden hooks. I know there are some people who know people who make them out there. Any advise or perferered methods? Any websites with instructions that you know of? He's found some but I wondered if there was one experienced hookers like.

Soon I'll have more nice :hook!

i wish i could help you! i told my hubby that i wished he could make me something like all these lovely wooden hooks i see on here and he gave me a look like "what are you absollutly crazy" well he already knows i am. i just wish he would indulge me! although he does support my habit so i guess i am thankfull of that!

I can't help with websites and methods but I can tell you what I prefer. I currently use the Brittany hooks. With the Brittany hooks, I find the "fancy" end they have on it, rubs against my hand and it's really annoying. With metal hooks, the end hits my hand. It may be because I hold my hook a bit further back than most people but I prefer a longer handle than what most hooks have.

I have the book and it is then basement with one hook started. Right now the hook is long and not done yet. But it is looking good so far. I keep getting go away and put down the hook, it is not done yet.

You can buy wood blanks on ebay that can probably be used to make hooks. Here's a link to one of the sellers. I'm sure there are others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXOTIC-ANGLE-CUT-POPLAR-PEN-BLANKS-TURNING-CARVING-WOOD_W0QQitemZ110196965229QQihZ001QQcategoryZ71235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that helps!

Dh and I make wood hooks. It can all be done by hand.

We have lathes that we shape ours on and then I do all the hook carving, sanding and finishing.

You can go to your local woodcraft store and they have lots of different sizes of wood for pen and hook making.

You can even use dowels.

You can choose your length too. I have some long hooks and short ones. I prefer about 7 inches long though.

You can even use tree branches.

It's a lot of work but definitely worth it.

It's labor intensive IMO but I find it rewarding to make a crochet hook.

Have fun!!

Archived