help!!! spilled soda on my yarn...

In an act of complete stupidness and exhaustion, I picked up an entire cup of soda and spilled the entire contents. Unfortunatley about half of that went on 3 skeins of simply soft I had lying on the floor from my current WIP. So now I have two questions/problems.

1. How do I get the yarn to dry enough so that I can use it with out getting sticky?

2. After I finish the object will it come out in the wash?

The colors are dark, black, dark purple, and heather grey....but on the purple and grey the stain is noticable as a darker shade, not brownish.

Any suggestions?

I have never tried it, but I have filed away the idea for future reference...

slide each skein into a nylon stocking, and tie off the ends close to the skein, so it cannot move, then launder on a gentle cycle. I think the soda will come out of acrylic without staining, but you should probably take care of it soon, before it gets sticky.

Nylons what are nylons??? Just kidding...but I have to say I would have to run out and buy some for this method, I hate the darned things. I agree that crocheting with it sticky would be yucky! I have found that stains come out of acrylic pretty easy, I once spilled coffee all over the work in progress part (and in pictures I took you can see it) but after washing it was allllllllllll gone! It was the light blue simply soft (I forget the color name but its a baby blue).

Once I spilled lemonade on an almost-finished hat at the annual church picnic, and then just stowed it in a cabinet. Well, I found it a while back---about TWO YEARS later---and I threw it all away. I won't even describe it, it was such a mess LOL.

I tried the leingerie bag .. My skeins of yarn turned into "clown Wigs" and it took me two days to untangle... If you don't have nylons... panty hose-- stick the yarn in the legs and tie it after each one... "clown wigs are NOT fun" or knee hi's work well

If the skein isn't big enough to jam into a lingerie bag (you want it to fit TIGHT), a tube sock will do, but you do have to tie it really, really tightly or you not only get a clown wig...you get a clown wig wound around everything in the washer! (Did that with an entire skein of Homespun. That's when I started using the little lingerie bags.)

Maybe we ought to crochet some yarn wash bags with drawstrings and elastic...:D

--Becky

Nylons what are nylons??? Just kidding...but I have to say I would have to run out and buy some for this method, I hate the darned things. I agree that crocheting with it sticky would be yucky! I have found that stains come out of acrylic pretty easy, I once spilled coffee all over the work in progress part (and in pictures I took you can see it) but after washing it was allllllllllll gone! It was the light blue simply soft (I forget the color name but its a baby blue).

I'm thinking, if the skeins are small enough, that you could just buy knee-highs instead of pantyhose...I'm guessing they'd probably be cheaper...:D

slide each skein into a nylon stocking, and tie off the ends close to the skein, so it cannot move, then launder on a gentle cycle.

OH! I LIKE:tup this idea:idea.......Hope I Never have to use it, but just as Krakovianka said, I will file it away just in case! Thanks :hugfor sharing this cool tip!

Thanks for the stocking or lingerie idea! I spilt coffee on yarn once, but fortunately it was a small part and I had no problem getting the stain out once the piece was done. I had to wait till the liquid dried before I could work on it more, though. Kind of sticky in places, but I finished it anyway.

Archived