Woo Hoo!!! Hired to privately teach crafts!

So I volunteered for a program at an elementary school to teach the girls yarn crafts. The last day was today. Got a phone call from one mom asking if she could hire me to privately teach her daughter! :cheer:cheerSo cool and I have no clue how much to charge.

Got another phone call after that from a friend asking if she could teach me Hebrew stuff in return for me teaching her daughter to crochet.:clap

Husband is proud of me:D

• 1 month later...

Leebah I just wanted to let you know that I have looked into teaching classes at the local libraries here in Michigan and they stated they would pay $20/hr. That is just what I have found out on my own. I would check around with local libraries to see what crafters would make if they taught there (some libraries won't give you a rate, they tell you that is up to you) or you could ask local dance teachers what they charge - it would be an idea of rates to charge for private lessons. Just some thoughts.

Leebah I just wanted to let you know that I have looked into teaching classes at the local libraries here in Michigan and they stated they would pay $20/hr. That is just what I have found out on my own. I would check around with local libraries to see what crafters would make if they taught there (some libraries won't give you a rate, they tell you that is up to you) or you could ask local dance teachers what they charge - it would be an idea of rates to charge for private lessons. Just some thoughts.

I was going to suggest that the group dance classes at studio were $8. hour

private music lessons were $10 at teachers studio

so I would expect to pay more for teacher coming to my house. and who will provide supplies

It does sound exciting. My dream is to make a living from my crafts!

Oooh, congratulations on getting commissioned for you skill! That's SOOO cool, and you're going to have so much fun sharing the craft!

Wow, $10 for a private music lesson! I was just going to post to say that I teach piano privately, but my bare minimum is substantially more than that. And that's in my studio, I charge more for going to the student's house. Keep in mind that teaching is more than just the time you're actually with the student--prep time can take a lot longer than you think!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Private crafting lessons sound great!

You could pick out a few easy projects as "starter kits" and offer to buy the tool(s) and the yarn required (mark it up so you make a profit on the additional service) -- that would help your customers feel more comfortable knowing they have the correct materials (and save them time, especially if they are busy), as well as make more money.

Best wishes and lots of luck!!

Archived