More Questions on Thread Size

Elle

I am REALLY starting to get into thread, thanks to you folks here! I sit at night and drool over the photos you post of those breathtaking doilies. I keep calling DH over to the computer to "OOOOH, HON, LOOK AT THIS ONE!", and even though, with nine cats, we are not a doily-type household, DH is as amazed by the work involved in them as I am, and he has come up with the absolutely BRILLIANT idea to frame them and hang them on the walls after I finish them! That's all the encouragement I needed to be off and running to Ebay to look for lot sales on thread, and next week sometime I will be receiving some 120 various balls of thread, mostly in size 10, but there are some 20 and 30 in there, and I just joined the House of White Birches Doily Series thingy. I let all of my magazine subscriptions lapse in order to have more money to spend on crocheting, so $4.99 a month will be nothing compared to what my old magazine bill used to be!

I am, however, TOTALLY confused about something regarding thread size. I understand the difference between 10, 20 and 30. What does it mean, however, when there are TWO numbers given for the size in the form of a fraction? For instance, what does 20/2 mean? I have wracked my brain and cannot fathom what it must mean, other than it's a size 20 consisting of 2 thread plys? Am I close? Thanks in advance!

Elle

Welcome to the club!! You realize you will probably have to buy a new house to have enough wall space for your framed doilies.

I can't answer your question about thread size numbers, but I will point out that you should have as least two hooks in each size and brand you use.

Don't forget all the free pattern sites on the internet either - those patterns will cost you only printer paper and ink.

Hi Elle!

Glad to hear you're a thread convert!!!!

The fraction you're talking about is the Wraps Per Inch.

The "2" before the "/" is the ply .. so in the case of 2/60 its a two ply thread.

The "60" or whatever number is the number of times that

that size thread laid side by side

is needed to be an inch.

So the higher the denominator is (the 60) the finer the thread.

I hope that helps you a bit!!!!

Manda

Hi Elle!

The "2" before the "/" is the ply .. so in the case of 2/60 its a two ply thread.

is needed to be an inch.

I have been crocheting 55 years, and using thread about 53 years. I knew the difference between the thread sizes although when I started (learning from nana), we used only size 30 that came on little balls or real sewing thread. Thank you for explaining the rest, I am very impressed.

Welcome to the club!! You realize you will probably have to buy a new house to have enough wall space for your framed doilies.

I can't answer your question about thread size numbers, but I will point out that you should have as least two hooks in each size and brand you use.

Don't forget all the free pattern sites on the internet either - those patterns will cost you only printer paper and ink.

I have been browsing as many free pattern sites as I can find looking for doily patterns and other things I can do in thread! There are so many! I can't wait for my shipments of thread to get here so I can get started in earnest! I have some thread here, I actually have a large box of it, but it's all white and ecru, and I'm really wanting to do things with some color in them. So as soon as the stuff I won on Ebay gets here (will be sometime this week) I will get to work.

Why is it necessary to have at least two hooks in each size? Are there patterns that call for this? I have a double set of aluminum hooks in the sizes used for yarn, but I only have six steel hooks thus far, so I'm hoping now that I don't run into trouble with patterns because I don't have a lot of hooks. If it's really necessary, I will pick up a few more hooks at WalMart when I go to do my food shopping on Sunday evening. :)

Elle

Hi Elle!

is needed to be an inch.

Manda

Thank you so much, Manda, it helps a LOT!! I'm un-confused now! :lol

It took me a loooong time to finally get up the nerve to start working in thread. The patterns were so daunting, and it didn't get any easier looking at the beautiful doilies that would be the result of finishing the patterns, because they just looked SO complex and, well, impossible to do! Also, I'm not one to start with something simple, I have to jump in with both feet and go right to something impossible-looking, so I was scaring myself before I ever even got started.

About two months ago I won an auction on Ebay for a large lot of knitting worsted, there were 60something skeins of RHSS in a bunch of different colors, and mixed in with the RH were a few new rolls of #10 thread and three steel crochet hooks. My most workable excuse for not ever trying thread was that I didn't own a steel hook, and now that one was out the window because I had three of them. I started making a doily, and lo and behold, I discovered it was not only easy to follow the instructions, it was almost instant gratification because they go up so quickly! In that instant I was a thread convert!

I went back to Ebay (notice that I need little to NO coaxing to buy yarn or thread :lol) and bid on three auctions for thread. One of them was for 40 rolls in many, many different colors, and another was for a 4 pound mix of mostly unopened rolls of thread in all colors. Then I found yet another one for 6 balls of rayon thread with 412 yards per roll, #10 size, in the most gorgeous colors! So I am set for thread, at least for a while! I can't wait for it to get here! I have such great plans for it!

Elle

I have 3 or 4 hooks in my favorite sizes and I sincerely wish I had more, as I tend to stick a working doily to its ball of thread with the hook. If I have to remove one to use for another project, I sometimes forget. "Was I using a 9 or 10 hook for this????"

All of that could be solved if I just worked on one project at a time, but I don't do that. I currently have 4 doilies in various stages of uncompleteness! (And until the last day or so, it was 5!)

On the Handy Hands Tatting website they have an explanation about threads that might be useful to read. It doesn't say what the fraction means, but it does discuss topics of interest regarding thread quality, etc.

I did a Google search and found this link that explains what the fraction means. In case the link isn't working, the first number refers to the number of hanks to make a pound. The second number designates the ply of the thread. Thus 20/2 would indicate 20 hanks to the pound and a 2-ply thread.

Now I've learned something new as a threadie! Thanks for asking the question, as I've never seen that terminology before!

~ Lori

You need two hooks in each size you use because if you only have one, you will lose it.

Thanks! I'll be sure to build up my hook supply as I go. I looked at what I have so far, and I have a 2, a 6, 2 7s, an 8, and a 1. I'll have to watch the auctions for someone selling a lot of hooks from an estate sale or something, that way I can build it up quickly for less money than buying them individually. Our WalMart has a very complete selection of hooks, though, so if nothing comes thru on Ebay soon, I'll start picking up one or two each time I go to WalMart to start building my hook stash. :)

Elle

I have 3 or 4 hooks in my favorite sizes and I sincerely wish I had more, as I tend to stick a working doily to its ball of thread with the hook. If I have to remove one to use for another project, I sometimes forget. "Was I using a 9 or 10 hook for this????"

All of that could be solved if I just worked on one project at a time, but I don't do that. I currently have 4 doilies in various stages of uncompleteness! (And until the last day or so, it was 5!)

Ooh, I've done that same thing, and it drives me crazy! I keep my WIPs in ziploc baggies when I'm not working on them, and I've started putting a slip of paper in the baggie with the hook size on it so that I don't have to go through that "Oh no! Which hook was I using on this one?" stuff. This only works with smaller projects, however, since afghans that are well on their way don't fit in ziploc baggies. I should really start keeping things like that writen down in a small notebook so I don't have to worry about my little scraps of paper any more. If I catalogued my WIPs as I started them, with a note about the hook size in the notebook, it would save a lot of trouble. I have two sets of aluminum hooks, from D on up to K, but I only have one of my beloved N. I have three size P and two size Q, and the few steel hooks that I mentioned in another post. I also have a set of the Crystalites, sizes D through M, but I really don't like them AT ALL and I never use them, in fact, I don't even know where the smaller sizes are, they got packed in a box somewhere during our move and I never bothered to dig them out because I dislike them so much I didn't even miss them.

Elle

On the Handy Hands Tatting website they have an explanation about threads that might be useful to read. It doesn't say what the fraction means, but it does discuss topics of interest regarding thread quality, etc.

I did a Google search and found this link that explains what the fraction means. In case the link isn't working, the first number refers to the number of hanks to make a pound. The second number designates the ply of the thread. Thus 20/2 would indicate 20 hanks to the pound and a 2-ply thread.

Now I've learned something new as a threadie! Thanks for asking the question, as I've never seen that terminology before!

~ Lori

You're welcome! I really like those links you posted! Especially the one about the weaving! Thanks so much! Very informative! :yes

Elle

I have two sets of aluminum hooks

Elle

I know it sounds extravagant but I grab up every hook, especially the steel ones, at yard sales and the like for just this reason, to be able to be WIPing with the same size hook on several different projects.

When older hookers move into nursing homes and their kids hold these sales they just don't realize what they're practically giving away. And I feel in my heart that if "Granny" were aware of the circumstance she would be pleased that an avid hooker was getting her set.

at least I sure do hope that's what happens to all mine someday!

my hooks:hook are going in the will :nbook. I don't know how many I have cause I still dont have my craft room done and all boxes un packed for that room. But I can sure bet I have between 150--300 crochet :hookhooks and yes, that includes the wood crochet :hookhooks and the crochet :hookafghan hooks and double:hook crochet hooks and yes, the recently added lighted :hookcrochet hooks.. I'll be glad to get the room done and unpacked so I can count how many I really have:think. Several people that I know have asked and I don't know cause I have never really thought about counting them.lol..... I just crochet:hook with them:yes.

Hi Elle!

is needed to be an inch.

Manda

Thanks for posting that.

Archived