Join Us for the "ME" CAL!

judianne

Here are pictures of my finished shawl. And it is mine, ALL MINE :lol:lol

I have started another one for a friend that is battling brain cancer. Hers is green and I'm using Hobby Lobby's 'I Love This Yarn'. It is the softest acrylic yarn I have used. It reminds me of Caron SS, but is thicker and doesn't split. It is softer than Vanna's too (in my opinion).

th_MYGrannyShawl1a.jpg

Here is a pic with a brooch holding it together

th_MYGrannyShawl1b.jpg

clickable

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it awful how we spoil them? :lol We always joke that the cats have their own room with a king size bed and an electric blanket. It's the guest room really but the blanket does stay turned on for them and Misa loves it :lol DHs mom asked me shortly after we bought this house what style I was decorating it in and, without missing a beat, hubby goes, "Cat Toys" :rofl

Cara that is too funny.

here is my progress so far on my crocheters messenger bag....

yarn.jpg

almost done with the second side then its on to the big piece..the back and flap.

Brenda the messenger bag looks great so far. The colors are nice and it looks like it will be a good size.

Hi Ladies. I got home from work today and had to lay down for a while. My back is killing me again. While I was trying to get comfortable, I had to fight off my 2 cats. They decided they wanted to lay with me. One had to lay on me, and the other decided he wanted to sprawl out and hog the bed.

Going to turn on the heating pad now, grab my hook and shawl, and see how much I can get done on it. When I get mine done, I have another one to make. :hook

I hope your back feels better soon and that's good that you can have a day of rest and crochet.:)

Hope it's not too late to join in. I'm having a lot of just... I just moved to Savannah; I just got my household goods delivered; and I Just recently joined the community. My reading has been hit and miss since I have no cable or internet services yet. I do have lots of yarn, hooks and patterns in one of these boxes. Just have to upack. But in the mean time I am looking for a pattern for a messenger type bag. If anyone out there has one (free) to share I would be grateful.

Welcome to the group. These ladies are the friendliest on the net.

Sorry Judy, you can't tell his kids without a score card, but Vickie is Rich's middle daughter (my stepdaughter) and her eldest son is the dad to be. She had Chey at 16 and went on to marry and have 3 more kids, plus the are in the middle of adopting 2 more. Chey isn't out of high school yet, and I know Vic wishes he'd learned from her experiences. Vic did finish high school, and later got her degree, and has a very responsible job.I can't imagine Vickie's mom is thrilled, she's not that much older than I am, and great grandma sounds so darn old...of course, so does professor, and that's what she is, so maybe she's used to sounding older than her years.

Kathy congrats on being a step great grandma.

Ok so I think I've decided what my "Me" blanket is going to be. I think I'm going to do a ripple afghan. I haven't decided yet if it's going to be a basic ripple or not. I'm thinking of breaking it up by using different stitch patterns for some of the ripples.

I'm also undecided on colors. I'm trying to choose between something really scrappy looking, pinks and reds, or something gothy in purple red green and black.

Last desision: type of yarn to use. In one way I want to use something really nice like merino wool or maybe cascade since I like how it works up. The other part of me doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a blanket and would like it to be washable. I at least know if I want to be a step up from RH. Maybe wool-ease?

It's a good thing I'm not starting this afghan til after I'm done my holiday projects. It's going to take me forever to decide what I'm doing. :think

April that sounds exactly like me when I'm trying to decide on a project. :lol

Carol, your zigzag looks beautiful. I love how it's turning out and I like the texture too.

Donna - The tree skirt looks amazing!! Love it :clap

Kim - That poncho is fabulous! Great job :cheer

Mel - Gorgeous shawl! What yarn did you use on that one? Was the the I Love This Yarn? Looks like it has a great drape to it :yes I haven't tried that one yet. That's my next new one :hook

My Dads dad and stepmom were Grandma and Grandpa, and the picture of his late mother was Grandma Katie. I liked having her picture in my bedroom when I was very small, it was comforting to have her watching over me.

Mom's parents were Groumie (like the fish kissing groumie, sp) and Grompie, don't ask me why as I have no clue...maybe my older cousins started it. I changed it to grandma and grandpa when we moved closer to them when I was 10.

Tim started calling my parents Grangran and Poppop as he repeated words when he was young, but it got shortened as he got older and Veronica followed with Grandma and Grandpa. Now half the young adults in town call my mom Grandma. To the kids we take care of I was Nana and Rich Pop, and AJ calls Veronica Aunt Cootie, cause he couldn't pronounce Cutie. So now I have AJ, Cyncere, and Logan (kids V watches) calling me Nana, and since they're more like family than friends, this Nana better get crocheting for them for Christmas.

Oh, the best I ever heard...my friends son called her mom Queenie. I had to ask why. Since he had grands, step grands and great grands on his mom, bio dad AND social dad's side of the family there were so many 'memaws' her mom said she didn't care as long as he knew SHE was the queen of the memaws. SO they called her Queenie, and she LOVED it.

Oh, the best I ever heard...my friends son called her mom Queenie. I had to ask why. Since he had grands, step grands and great grands on his mom, bio dad AND social dad's side of the family there were so many 'memaws' her mom said she didn't care as long as he knew SHE was the queen of the memaws. SO they called her Queenie, and she LOVED it.

Now that is a cool grandmother name!! I'm gonna use that if my boys ever get off the stick :yes

Donna - The tree skirt looks amazing!! Love it :clap

Kim - That poncho is fabulous! Great job :cheer

Mel - Gorgeous shawl! What yarn did you use on that one? Was the the I Love This Yarn? Looks like it has a great drape to it :yes I haven't tried that one yet. That's my next new one :hook

Thank You!!

I used Sugar'N Cream on this one. I had a cone of it and didn't want a ton of dishcloths the same color, so I decided to make a shawl with it.

Thank You!!

I used Sugar'N Cream on this one. I had a cone of it and didn't want a ton of dishcloths the same color, so I decided to make a shawl with it.

I'd have never guessed that! It made an excellent shawl :yes

I'd have never guessed that! It made an excellent shawl :yes

I wasn't too sure about it at first. But I kept going and was very happy with the way it turned out. I used a size K hook on it. The next one I do in cotton will be with a bigger hook. That way it will be a little more 'open'.

I have 3 shawls in the works right now. 2 for my friend with cancer and 1 for an order. All 3 are different patterns :eek. When those are done, I think I'll whip out another cotton one for ME :D. They work up fast. I'm guesstimating this one took about 12 ounces.

Okies here's my blanket thus far:

me1102.jpg

Not the best photo but I'm trying to be a good girl and resizing my images :D

I love the colors you are using! That would look really nice on my couch.:)

Kim

Carol

That is very pretty...i love the texture look of it...i have that book and never really saw it.

Julie

I love the linen for the background color,makes it look antique.I never did finish mine...need to dig it out when the boys go home.

Mel

That turned out great...love it.

Kim

That is very pretty...it looks so light and airy.

Donna

That is a great idea...now i will have to try that :yes

Cara

Great color choice,i have got to try that Vanna yarn...what pattern are you using....love the look.

I will try to get my photo up this afternoon when i get some more sun in the house.

Cara

Great color choice,i have got to try that Vanna yarn...what pattern are you using....love the look.

Just making it up as I go along :lol Using the same stitch that is used in this blanket but different stripe pattern and no diamonds. It makes a very squishy fabric. I really like it :yes

April - May I suggest Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice? It's acrylic and machine washable and ooohhh so lush :yes Yes ladies, first I was touting Clover Hooks now it'll be Vanna's Choice for a while :lol When I find a product I like I spread the word :D

I was looking at Vanna's just the other day actually. I think if I just use Vanna's the colors are a bit too muted for me. Though I was thinking of maybe mixing Vanna's with some Wool-ease to get some extra pop out of the colors.

I was looking at ripple afghan pictures online last night for ideas and came across a womans blog who had done a scrap ripple afghan, queen size, made out of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. For those of you who don't know 1.75oz / 137yards retails for about $7-$8 a skein. So I figure that it would cost about $200 to make that afghans at least.

It was beautiful though and I've felt cashmerino and it would feel awesome. Still....I do not have a $200 blanket budget. I still like eating!

April - I love those Debbie Bliss yarn :drool Some day I'm gonna just get stupid and buy enough to make me a blanket....I'll just have to keep the credit card statement away from DH that month :rofl

Megan - Very nice shrug :yes Love those pillows in your album too! Those are great!

Thanks Cara. I decided I need to get back into my regular day to day, I think I'll "heal" a bit better that way. Although, I think my poor stomach may need another few days.. :rofl I feel like I've ate my weight in candy corn mix. :oops:headache And I'm no super model either!

Archived