Buckling Squares?

I love granny squares and motif afghans. But unless they're joined together without sewing, I sort of stay away from them, even though I do love them so much. The reason is because that when I sew the squares together, they buckle up. Happens every time! Nothing I do can ever make the afghan go flat. Not washing, not ironing. Nothing! I don't think it's gauge. All the squares are pretty much the same size in the end.

Does this happen to anybody else? What am I doing wrong here? :think

I put right sides together, and stitch very loosely with a yarn needle, in the back loop only of each square. My squares lay flat using this method. Maybe you are just stitching them together too tightly?

I found this Tunisian joining to be a good way to put stuff together.

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=497

Generally speaking, if I couldn't use sc-- on the top, I was not making any afghans no way, no how! :grump

This joining method works and it is quick and tidy.:cheer

Huge thanks for the tunisian joining link! I hate sewing and am working on my first blanket with squares. You've made me a happy woman.:hug

Hmm. I usually slip stitch (though I do sometimes whip stitch) my squares together through the back loops. So that can't be it... Maybe I'm doing it too tightly... I do tend to have pretty tight crochet... :think

Archived