Has anyone made this before? (and has any tips?)

frogrockr

Just wondering if anyone had tried making this doily before?

rosedoily.jpg

And knew of any pitfalls???

I need a distraction from the Gown! Which is getting there s.l.o.w.l.y.

Manda

Its from Yoko Suzuki's My Laceworks, the Rambling Rose pattern.

The book came last night in the mail; if you read my blog.. the mail is exciting!!! and I'm about to go to the post office for my weekly eBay haul. I work in a remote area of Australia and I have to wait til Saturday morning to get my yarn!!!

It doesnt *look* impossible, the main portion is fairly simple, just need to keep tension really working for you, I think. You then make the roses and join them with the crocheted over padding cord (in good Irish fashion).

I'll give it a go!

Manda

• 3 weeks later...

It is a wonderful pattern. Good luck, and show it when it's done!

Just wondering if anyone had tried making this doily before?

rosedoily.jpg

And knew of any pitfalls???

I need a distraction from the Gown! Which is getting there s.l.o.w.l.y.

Manda

OMG what a beautiful doily!! I have never seen this one.. Curious to know how to make what looks like a cord to hold the roses. Hope that you tell us more about it. Thank you for sharing !!

The cord may be a form of brussels lace or it may be Irish crochet which has a technique of crocheting tightly around a string that produces a thicker looking line like that.

I'd just like to crochet some of the roses and added them as an edging to a t-shirt to fancy it up.

Well I started it and I'm up to the about the fourth round of picots. Its coming together pretty easily - you can see where I got to last night on today's blog entry!

The cord partif a chain and then slip stitched back into it. I thought it would be like padding cord in Irish crochet and you crochet over a length of the thread to cover it.

Will keep you posted!!!

Manda

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is stunning Irish crochet. I have seen (and crocheted) Suzuki's patterns in Magic Crochet. Her designs are amazing.

I think the picots would scare me off too, I find them kind of tedious. This is definitely a challenging piece, but surely well worth the effort. Can't wait to see it finished!

What is the thread weight?

Archived