"X Hour" Afghans

We've all seen these projects on the Lion website and in other miscellaneous places.

8 hour afghan! 6 hour afghan! 4 1/2 hour afghan!

They sound to good to be true...

Do these really work up as fast as they claim? I know everyone crochets at different speeds, but on a whole?

Who's done these? Do you like the results?

Thanks!

I've done several of the 5 1/2 hour one. I have the orginal magazine page from years ago. Haven't done one since so I don't know how long it really took me. Probably more than 5 hours though since I don't work on things straight though, very often. I'm sure they didn't take long though Or I wouldn't have made more than one. LOL

I would think it would depend on your experience in the craft and having the knowledge of the stitch. :hook

Good luck and make sure to share the pictures of the finished project:c9

I have done the 4 1/2 hour afghan. It goes pretty quickly. I would say faster than some other stitches/patterns. I made mine extra long though, since I knew the person would want to use it for a blanket on the couch. I did one in a smaller yarn and hook for a baby too. I think the baby blanket actually took 5 hours or so. But I work kind of slowly. It was still much faster than other patterns that I have used. I like it a lot too. I am thinking of making another baby blanket in that pattern, for my future baby. (whenever I start trying again)

I did my 2nd 5 1/2 hour afghan in 8 hours. I'm new to crocheting but it went fairly quickly. I only had to frog one row so it didn't cost too awfully much time. I doubt if I could ever get it done in 5 1/2 hours though.

I started a 4 1/2 hour afghan a week or so ago. I though it was a little harder to get started than the 5 1/2 hour one but, once I got the 2nd row in, it started going pretty quickly. With that Q hook, you can really go through a lot of yarn in a hurry!

I think that they really are fast but I wouldn't bet the rent money on getting them done in the time they specify.

I know how quickly the Lumberjack Flannelghan works up. You find yourself stopping to look around and you discover you are working on the last panel... in no time flat! :wlol

I may crochet for several hours on a given day, but it is interrupted. And I get easily bored, so I try to have several things going on, so I can switch projects.

Darski, if you keep talking about that lumberghan......I'll end up trying it! :)

I may crochet for several hours on a given day, but it is interrupted. And I get easily bored, so I try to have several things going on, so I can switch projects.

Darski, if you keep talking about that lumberghan......I'll end up trying it! :)

Who me?!? I am pure as the driven :snow

NOT!

I do love those flannelghans though. I have one on the go for Dora.

No. They usually take more time than is stated. However, they do work up quickly because they are always done with 2 or 3 strands and enormous hooks.

Real Deal

I've never made one, but I always look at them when I'm trying to decide on an afghan project to do. I never choose them, though, because I think I'm just drawn more to the more involved projects.

I crochet fairly slowly, though, because I have nerve damage in my spine, and it affects my grip from time to time, so I like to take my time so that my stitches are all nice and even and don't reflect the instances when my grip might be a bit weaker.

On the subject of fast crocheting, though, I'll never forget the night that David Letterman had on the world's fastest crocheter. She made an entire sweater in the 90 minutes that his show was on! Finished! Done! Granted, it was very open and "netlike", but it was a sweater and it was done in 90 minutes!

Elle

I've made a Q-hook afghan, which is (I think) what most of those fast afghans are. It was easy and fast, but I didn't like the look or feel of it. Too loosey-goosey for me. However, I was just learning how to crochet, and it is very possible I didn't do it right (like only stitching in the back loops).

Archived