Crocheted washcloths

Have any of you ever made them?

Do they function well or do they become too heavy in the water

as you are showering or bathing?

I was thinking of making some up and put 1 or 2 in a basket with some shower gel, small tube of lotion, candle, etc, to use for some gifts at Christmas.

Thoughts, opinions??

these are great for gifts...the only thing for washing the face i like to use a natural or white that way it can be washed and if needed bleached with no fading. I made several and sold them to someone at work. I bought a cone at Hobby Lobby using the 40% and the 1lb cone was 6.99..I have made tons of stuff with it so if you are making several and can get to a store that has them the cones are great..I have seen the cones at Walmart and Michaels also.

I've made a lot of them and we use them.

I use both Sugar'nCream and Peaches'nCream. We love them and use nothing else. I don't think they get too heavy. I've had store bought washcloths that get heavier than the ones I make.

I also make dishcloths, and use nothing else but them for dishes, cleaning the counters, etc.

I love them! They make wonderful gifts, like you said, a basket of bath things is a great present. I used cotton chenille for the fanciest ones and put them in a gift basket to pamper my son's primary nurse last year. I got mine from nuMei http://numei.com/ and was very happy with it. Cottontots by Bernat makes heavier washcloths, which some people like.

Before I joined this site, I didn't have any idea that there were such things as crocheted washcloths.

Can anyone suggest a good pattern for a washcloth, and what kind of yarn to use? I'm in Australia...so brands is no good...but let me know if you used, cotton, wool, acrylic?

Before I joined this site, I didn't have any idea that there were such things as crocheted washcloths.

Can anyone suggest a good pattern for a washcloth, and what kind of yarn to use? I'm in Australia...so brands is no good...but let me know if you used, cotton, wool, acrylic?

Here's a link to some crocheted DISHcloths,, and I am using these patterns but I am intending mine to be used as washcloths. I don't think anyone will know the difference. The patterns are free, you can download, view and copy them off in Adobe Acrobat.

Also, google a search for "crocheted washcloths". Some things came up for me.

I think it would be fun to come up with different patterns and stitches to make several , or maybe 2 of different stitches to be placed in a basket for a small gift.

I am trying cotton for my first one, by sugarncream.

http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PG=homepat&PT=c

And a couple more I found:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-bathAccessories.html

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-washcloth.html

you really should only use 100% cotton for wash cloths and dishcloths. Acrylic fibers ahve sharp edges on them and can actually make small cuts on the skin. Wool would be too heavy and might felt if used in too hot of water.

I make both all the time and I have never used an actual pattern. When I am trying out a new stitch or motif I do a swatch up in cotton to practice the stitch and to see if I'm going to like it. I just make sure I do it in approxmately a washcloth or dishcloth size.

Once I started making dishcloths I have never bought any. THis is all I use.

I love my cotton dish/wash cloths. I often just make them up on my own, but have used some patterns before too.

Rachel, keeper of CPC, has an entire section devoted to them. They're all free.

I got my favorite pattern off there, but I can't remember which one and I can't find the printout at the moment.

Worsted weight cotton makes great ones, especially for dishes. I'd love to find some DK or sport weight cotton. I love the WW ones for washing, but the lighter weight may 'look' better, feel lighter as a face cloth. (I personally like the patterns with some texture to them, as they feel like they're more likely to 'scrub'.)

I have even made some out of #10 thread. This makes a very "dainty" washcloth. also if you want a "scrubby" you can combine #10 thread with worsted weight acrylic. It actually looks nice and feels amazing as a "loofah" type cloth.

I only use crocheted dishcloths in my kitchen. Be warned that the bright colors will fade over time (at least sugar n cream...the Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton color seems to last longer). However, becasue they are quick to make and inexpensive, I don't mind making new ones. I then use the older ones for scrubbing rags. Like AngieInCA, I try out new stiches or motifs when I make a washcloth. Make a bunch up for gifts...they will be appreciated! You could even make up kitchen gift baskets in addition to the bath ones you are planning. Put together some kitchen gadgets or baked goods along with a dishcloth. This year for Christmas my neighbors will all be given a gift box of homemade cookies with a kitchen dishcloth lining the box.

I've made crochet dishclothes / wash clothes. I like them both. I have used the pineapple dishcloth pattern. I think it's a dishcloth. It's pretty, but kinda lacey. I have also used a flower one.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Trail/9344/flowerpetaldc.html

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/Pineapple%20Set.html

I like them both. The next time I make the pineapple one, I will use a smaller hook, because mine turned out pretty lacey.

I've got a couple of booklets for dishclothes that i have to try. :-)

I think that even square patterns would work too. I want to make some that are more solid crochet, not so many open spaces.

I started to order that book by leisure arts {found it on Amazon}.

But there is no need to order it.

There are enough washcloth/dishcloth patterns for free out there on the net, I will never get them all made.

I have copied off a bunch.

Now all I have to do is get busy and make up some to make my little gift sets for Christmas!

These will make great projects to carry in your purse when you're sitting at places where you have to wait for whatever.

I started to order that book by leisure arts {found it on Amazon}.

But there is no need to order it.

There are enough washcloth/dishcloth patterns for free out there on the net, I will never get them all made.

I have copied off a bunch.

Now all I have to do is get busy and make up some to make my little gift sets for Christmas!

These will make great projects to carry in your purse when you're sitting at places where you have to wait for whatever.

Yes, there are so many patterns free on the net. I have a lot saved and printed out as well.

I always have a skein of cotton yarn and a hook in my purse, and when I find myself with a little time on my hands, I grab it and do a few rows. I actually have completed a few while I am sitting in my car at work waiting for the manager to get there (one manager in particular is always late):lol

Have fun and make sure to post pictures of your completed washcloths/dishcloths.

Thanks for the link. :hug

That is one site I haven't run across yet.

Yipee!! More patterns :yay

I was checking into it a little further....unfortunately several of the links are non-working.

But still alot that do. Just have to go thru it.

I wish people would update their pages more often.

I make both crocheted and knitted washclothes. And strangely enough both my husband and daughter grab them before the store bought ones sitting in the cabinet.

They are quick and easy and are useful gifts.

Also my friend has been using Moda Dea's and Bernats Bamboo for them since they are said to hold 3x more water.

I was thinking about making some dishcloths and washcloths for Christmas gifts with a jar containing ingredients and a recipe for brownies or other things like that. At Michaels I bought the book 101 Stitches for Afghans with a 50% off coupon and then I went over to JoAnns and bought The Big Book of Dishcloths with a 40% coupon. I figure either set of patterns will work for the dishcloths.

I was thinking about making some dishcloths and washcloths for Christmas gifts with a jar containing ingredients and a recipe for brownies or other things like that. At Michaels I bought the book 101 Stitches for Afghans with a 50% off coupon and then I went over to JoAnns and bought The Big Book of Dishcloths with a 40% coupon. I figure either set of patterns will work for the dishcloths.

I was thinking of doing a little bath essentials kit...washcloth, a tube of shower gel, lotion, candle, etc, in a basket, for some Christmas gifts.

But I've never made or used crocheted washcloths for showering or bathing. I have one in progress, and would test it on myself before I make and give to people. But I think it might be a nice idea.

Archived