What can you do with just one skein?

Hi ,I'm sure I'm not unusual in gathering yarns wherever I go and my stash is filling a large attic by now, some are in the -sensible?- form of lots of 10 or 8 balls but quite often I just HAVE TO buy just ONE ball/skein of an unusual yarn or a colourway or an expensive or luxury fibre that I'm dying to try out on my crochet hook?;)

So tonight I had a bit of a brainstorm on my blog and came up with 38 ways of using these balls: can you come up with any other ones PLEASE?

Consider it a cross Atlantic Challenge!:clap

The blog is at www.merrysusan.blogspot.com

Thanks for sharing and thanks for this FABULOUS community at Crochetville: I have so much fun here and am always inspired.:c9

Granny squares that can be made into blankets, scarves, etc.

slippers for kids.

hats for chemo patients.

Doll clothes for patients at the hospital.

baby bonnets/hats for donating.

Waterbottle holders.

using one skein, trim a solid afghan with a contrasting color.

You did have many good items on your list.

Let's keep this going, everyone!

:manyheart

Wonderful ideas! I usually have quite a few single skeins of yarn, either one color or one type of yarn.

More one skein ideas-

a yarn doily

coasters to set drinks on

a tv remote control caddy for your armchair

a bouquet of crochet flowers to glue inside a frame to hang

dish detergent dress

toilet tissue cozy

a litter bag for your car

amigurumi,

outfit for a pet,

pillow cover,

back support pillow.

pet bed,

pet toy,

a frilly collar,

tube scarf,

baby afghan....

hair thingies,

flowers for pins, barrrets, ornaments on other things.

something lacy

And remember "skeins" aren't really standardized one brand or types skein will be less yarn or more yarn than another's skein.

I went to your blog to see your yarns ~ they are beautiful!

For a single skein of mohair, I would try to make something that would really show off the beauty of the yarn in a large piece if I could. I'm thinking perhaps the front of a purse or bag, or the front of a vest.

My other idea is to use a single skein in combination with others in making stripes. I constantly look at yarn that way. When I buy yarn, I always ask myself "Now what will go with this? What do I already have that will go with this?"

Real Deal

How about a headscarf?

I didn't see this, but if you have complementary skeins or a large skein, how about a baby blanket?

A draft dodger to put at the bottom of a door or window--stuff with a heavy filler or with polyester fiberfil and voila!

Dolls--then, use the remnants of the skeins you used for other projects to make clothes for them.

Doll blankets

Coffee or tea cup cozies--for the disposable paper or plastic cups from places like Starbucks

Felted fingerless mitts

Regular fingerless mitts

Book covers--wouldn't a felted one be great?

Unusual window coverings

Holiday decorations

backpack/napsack for a little one

diaper soakers

simple felted board games--i.e., Tic-tac-toe, checkers, chess, backgammon (or they can be unfelted, take your pick! ;))

Wow, that's quite a list. Heres some more, depending on fiber:

Tea cozy (suggested by your egg cozy)

Placemat(s)

Hot pad

Pot holder

Washcloth

YES Thank you that was great, you know I never thought of potholders and here I am thinking of buying one as I need one, my old one lasted 18 years and was a quilted tiger....Now I HAVE started crocheting one in colours to match my kitchen and in a thick cotton, all in sc of course, thanks again for a super idea:cheer

Thank you to all of you, what a lot of really superb ideas!!!!

I have started a potholder just because of this and the headbands and scrunchies will be much loved by my daughters.:clap

Of course it does depend on the fibre and the weight and therefore the length as well it could be 100 g and 350 yards or only 50 g and either 80 yds or for a finer yarn 180 yds , wool is lighter than cotton and you always get a lovely long length of mohair for even a small weight of skein!

Thanks so much .:hug

Archived