Scarves for Marine Battalion 3/2

TammyG

My student teacher, Ashley's brother's battalion is being shipped to Iraq. The parent network has started a drive to get scarves for each member, they need 1100. They can be knitted or crocheted. If anyone would like to donate, here are the requirements:

Materials: LionBrand: Homespun in Cream or Rococo or Caron Pound of

Love in Lace

and Bernatcamouflage in Desert Sand

Directions: They may be knitted or crocheted, using both yarns (one strand of each). If crocheting, using hooks H-J, chain 18 stitches and use double crochet stitch for entire scarf. To knit use needle size 11-25. Cast on for 6-7 inch widw and work in moss (seed stitch) which is K1, P1 row then P1, K1. Continue until scarf measures approx. 42 inches long. Please do not attach fringe as this may cause a safety problem.

They are trying to keep them as uniform as possible, to ensure safety and warmth.

If you can donate, please pm me and I will send my address to you. Thanks for anyone who helps. It's a big job for some deserving people.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it have to be that type of yarn...I have RH camo ans i have some mill end camo that just could be bernat but i am not sure...

I would be willing to make a few...When do you need them by?????

Karen

Is it regular camo with the green? It needs to blend in with the desert, so if it is a brown/tan camo, I think it will be fine. She emailed me today and if I can get them by Oct 5, then she can bring them with her when she sees her son mid-October. If later, than we'll have to ship them to Iraq. Thanks if you can help.

i will see if i have any brown cammo and make a few, i love helping our troops. , i appreciate all they do for us and help whenever possible. pm your address please. will make as many as i can:hug :hug

just got back from michaels and bought some yarn for this. i'll make a few.

FYI: at michaels, the camo yarn is $3.99 and it's $2.99 at joannes (regular price, not on sale)

i just finished one. looks good. that yarn is easy to work with. i used the caron pounder in lace too. it makes a really thick scarf when the 2 are used together.

i've never used caron pounders before. it's nice.

• 3 weeks later...

great. i would have made a ton more but that camo yarn is $2.99 a skein. so with 1 skein per scarf, that adds up quickly. i wish the makers of the camo yarn would have it super cheap or free for projects like this.

The Morgans are going to see their son about the middle of October, so she'll take the scarves she has with her then. Any scarves they get after that they will have to ship to the battalion either to the base or when they get to Iraq.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who have volunteered and shipped. Mr. and Mrs. Morgan left for N.C yesterday. She is holding on to the scarves until right before they ship out. So they will be going back down to NC in early Nov and bringing the scarves then. Thanks so much. She was so overwhelmed that strangers would join in this effort.

Archived