Best Projects to take on the plane

socks! :socks

They're small, you don't normally have to keep checking a pattern, and they work up quickly so you can possibly finish one on the flight. :)

I find a baby blanket too large to work with the little amount of room on the plane. Granny squares and hats seem to work out okay, too.

For the sock thing, not to mention, having to try them on as you make them!!! Hahahaha, I don't think the people on the plane would appreciate my stinky feet!!!

I'm traveling to Missouri from Boston in May and I think I'm gonna bring a baby blanket. Squares would work for me too since I seem to have control of them. Maybe I'll do a Beth's Little Star afghan, that works up nice and people would comment about it. HEHEHE. No one ever sees me crocheting so I love compliments! :)

When I had jury duty at the end of March, I brought scrap yarn with me, and made 7" x 9" squares for a Warm Up America afghan. Even a random skein of Red Heart would get you through a flight. :)

I suggest a book, they might take your hooks, I just recently was on Song flight, I packed my crochet stuff, and I asked, them at security if they would have taken my hooks, and they said, YES. You could contact the airlines, but remember it is TSA (security folks) that make that decission, and heck if I want any of them to have my hooks, so I took no chances.

I If not, they were cheap and plain enough you won't mind losing them LOL

As long as you take a self-addressed stamped envelope that the hooks fit into, you can mail them back to yourself if the TSA is feeling cranky that day about hooks/needles. ;)

For the sock thing, not to mention, having to try them on as you make them!!! Hahahaha, I don't think the people on the plane would appreciate my stinky feet!!!

:lol

I think I've just made so many socks for myself that I don't need to try them on anymore and I have the basic pattern memorized ... :rofl

[there are always people taking off their shoes on the plane though... :think ]

I like to work on scarves, shawls or ponchos. They are small to medium in size and require little or no concentration so interruptions don't bug me like as if I were working on something more intrique. Plus scarves/shawls/ponchos are something that can be worn when you get to your destination. I take only the hook I need for that project, a skein or two of yarn in my carry-on and wear my yarn cutter pendant. :hook

As long as you take a self-addressed stamped envelope that the hooks fit into, you can mail them back to yourself if the TSA is feeling cranky that day about hooks/needles. ;)

I did read that in another thread and thought that was a great idea.

Just thought the white hooks is another option. I really think that's what they're being made for since they are so plain.

Plain for the plane. :plane:laughroll

ahah @ plain for the plane.. some ppl like plain.. not me.. my suggestion for the flight is find a small to medium item YOU ENJOY working on .. like a shawl.. dont take something for the sake of having busy work.. cause if you dont enjoy it.. then you wont work on it regardless... i dont know if you are into flowers but many of the patterns are very simple and you could take several small skeins of novelty yarns and make flowers the whole flight

Or you can print this out

Allowed and Prohibited Items

Yeah, I took that and argued and uhhhh they fed me some nonsense about "we have the authority to change the items on that list at any time" etc etc. Heh! One of my close friends works for the TSA at Hartsfield and he said often times it's a moodiness of the person thing. :think

When we were flying out of SF, they wouldn't let DH take his nice fountain pen on the plane -- he asked about the list of allowed items and they said, "we have no list." :rofl

So, take the list, but prepare for them to take your stuff away anyway because they can basically do anything they want.

That's what the TSA site says, but as my mom pointed out to me at Christmas time - the post office has been removed from just about every airport. SO.....how are you going to mail that self addressed stamped envelope home? :think Ask the nice TSA people? It might work, but it might not. They might be nice and do it or they might cite security concerns or just refuse.

I was lucky - nobody bothered me about my crochet hooks or the small pair of rounded scissors, even though one xray guy looked extra hard at the screen for awhile. And I completed several nice snowflake bookmarks during the flight. :hook

Flights and hooks seem to be a popular topic lately. To throw out my comments again, I've yet to be stopped, even on my international flights. As pointed scissors are :2nono (except rounded ends, and this is not what I want to fight over), I take a pair of finger nail clippers (normal purse item) and also to be a little bit sneaky (I do like to avoid confrontation) I put my hook in with my inkpens...I'll :box fight them to the death that I could do more damage with my POINTED ball point pen than a rounded crochet hook! Then, if they decide to take away my pens to prove a point, I'll start screaming about security violations since they let the person in front of me go through with their pens! The airports always say to report suspicious behavor, and well, that screener seems to be a bit lax....what else has he let through today....hmmm....terrorist cell member? :rofl

That's what the TSA site says, but as my mom pointed out to me at Christmas time - the post office has been removed from just about every airport. SO.....how are you going to mail that self addressed stamped envelope home? :think Ask the nice TSA people? It might work, but it might not. They might be nice and do it or they might cite security concerns or just refuse.

Yes, actually, they take the envelopes and mail them for you.

Kinda off the subject, I'm :think over one thing I saw on that TSA list (though I dunno, maybe it's changed recently). Last time I flew to Boston to visit my family, I was allowed to take my (disposable) lighters on the plane on the way there, but on the way back they were confiscated. The security people told me I could check them if I wanted to. But that list says you can carry them on to the plane but that it's *not* allowed to check them!

Kinda off the subject, I'm :think over one thing I saw on that TSA list (though I dunno, maybe it's changed recently). Last time I flew to Boston to visit my family, I was allowed to take my (disposable) lighters on the plane on the way there, but on the way back they were confiscated. The security people told me I could check them if I wanted to. But that list says you can carry them on to the plane but that it's *not* allowed to check them!

When I flew to Vegas a year ago, they took one of the lighters from my girlfriend. Said she was only allowed one. So she handed the lighter to her hubby because he didn't have any. Now does this make sense? And the last several times I've flown they haven't taken any lighters, no matter how many you had on you. It just seems it depends on the moods of the security on that particular day. Same day they took my tiny scissors, I was sitting waiting to board my plane and was preparing to put everything away because I didn't have anything to cut the yarn with. A man sitting near me had been watching me and asked me if I was done. I told him I had to quit because I needed to switch yarns but couldn't cut the yarn. He took out a pair of scissors bigger than the ones I had and handed them to me. I asked how he managed to sneak them past security and he said he didn't. Security saw them but didn't say or do anything. So it just proves it's a manner of which security you get and how good/bad their day is going, I guess. :hook

Does anyone have any advice on the type of projects to take on a flight? I am flying to Boston on next Monday, and would like to keep busy.

I've been thinking about this recently too. I'm flying from Oregon to Oklahoma in two weeks, and I've been trying to decide what to bring. I want something with few or no color changes, no cutting, preferably no looking at a pattern, and will keep me occupied through two flights and an airport. Once I'm there, I'm going to a conference, where I can work on other pieces while I attend workshops and kill time between events. And then I'll need another project, or a part of the first project to get me through the flights and airports on the way back. *sigh*

I'm thinking strips for a baby blanket. Even if I don't make them exactly the same length, I can fix it up later.

michele5 :ducky

I would go with solid granny squares for no color changes and no looking at a pattern.

Or dishcloths, potholders, dishtowels or hotpads.

I've taken to crocheting/knitting dishcloths when I need one, they work better than bought dishcloths and cost little or no money, I always have scraps of cotton yarn hanging around. Same with potholders, dishtowels and hotpads.

:frog

Archived