Would this work?

Good morning everyone!!! Last night as I was trying to go to sleep, a horrible though popped into my head.

CHRISTMAS IS ONLY 4 MONTHS AWAY!!!!

I also remembered that I had promised my grandparents a blanket. It usually takes me a while to make one, so I had an idea on how to make a quick one, just wanted to know if you thought it would work.

Would a double strand huge granny square work made with a large needle work up quicker than a regular one? Lol.

I want it to be nice but also pretty quick to make

If you did a double strand one, you wouldn't have to do a granny square, depending how fast you crochet and the time you can devote to it. Of course you can if you want to, yes that would work up super quick.

You could even do a double strand squares and do those while you're out and about and then put them together at home.

There are some quick ones like:

4 1/2 Hour Afghan by Lion Brand

5 1/2 Hour Throw

I'm sure others have some they've done that are super quick too.

Debbi

Not sure, maybe someone would know for sure, I haven't made them, sorry.

I know 60 inches wide will wrap around me once completely (that's how big my afghan from the Scrap Afghan CAL is). Do you have a blanket that would fit 2 people, maybe measure that. Or one that you like, double that. Again you could do a simple afghan pattern stitch (any really) with 2 or 3 strands and it would work up quickly. And be super warm.

I'm a super fast crocheter, so it doesn't take me long to make an afghan, well depends on the afghan of course... and my desire to finish it. So that's why I haven't tried those quick ones. If I want a quick one, I'll do 2 strands and double crochet. Crochet a chain as wide as I want it, and then work until I finish the length. I use an N hook because it's still aluminum and not as big as the P, and I crochet lose.

Debbi

I do really like those patterns! But with it only being 64 stitches wide, would that be big enough for 2 people? Have you made them yet? if you have, i would love to see how they look finished

I am working on the 4 1/2 hour afghan right now. I have made it wider, and will make it longer, to fit two people under it, or one while laying down LOL. You just make an odd number for your foundation chain, and go as wide as you want it to be. I am using two strands of WW Caron brand yarn, and a size P hook. One in a solid color, and one in a variegated. I ran out of yarn for it, so I am waiting for a paycheck to get some more.

I am also making a baby blanket out of the pattern. It's so cute!

You might want to consider the lumberjack flannelghan. it goes so quickly and can use favourite colours. It does have to be put together (5 panels = 4 seams) but we have found ways to make that easier too. :lol

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42711

Agh why did I look:think Now I want to make one... :yes but it will have to wait. Those turned out so great! I looked at all the finished links in the first post.

That would make a great Christmas gift, especially if it gets cold somewhere (like where I live).

Debbi

The flannelghan is a great option, IMHO. But then again, I'm biased because I'm finishing up my second. I crochet fairly quickly these days, but each strip took me about 1-2 hours I'm guessing. The best part is that the strips are a portable project. The only reason I'm not done it is because I am at the joining and edging stage and I haven't been home long enough to do it! :lol

I recently made my boyfriend and afghan using 2 strands of yarn, in the pattern of "'M' hook, base ch of what ever # works for size, then *5 rows of dc, 1 row of sc" Repeat from * until happy w/ length/width. It is VERY warm and squishy. The color combination is 1 black thread w/ 1 white thread.

As for time, I do not have a ton of time to crochet for starters, and it worked as a portable project for a only a short while, but then got too heavy for that. Plus I was working on a shawl and a few other things w/ time limits on them. The time it took me was about 1 - 1 1/2 months. So I'd say it's very doable. :)

Good luck w/ it :)

Sandy

If you decide to do 2 strands, you can also use a verigated with a solid. I did one like that for my Aunt (who is always cold). Turned out nice. A single strand baby afghan I'm doing is 5 rows of color, 1 row of white, all double crochet, and this pattern could be done in a double strand if you want. I did mine so it was vertical (just happened:blush ), and it looks good that way. So the stripes are lengthwise. On that one, I also just chained a good length and gave me a great number of stitches (100).

Debbi

The pattern is really simple - it's done in strips, 17 DC stitches across, 13 rows of two stands of the same color held together, 13 rows of two colors held together, repeat until you have 7 blocks of alternating colors. Make 5 strips, sew or crochet together, viola.

I haven't made one yet, but I was contemplating adapting the pattern (in thread) for placemats to match my gingham curtains in the kitchen.

Addey said she whipped up a strip in just a couple of hours! (see post 10)

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-4halfHourAfghan.html

I've tried the 4 1/4 hour one. I doubled it and I love it. It was for dh who never asks me to make him anything but decided one day last year that he wanted a blanket.

I can't remember exactly. I know I doubled the foundation chain but I don't know if I totally doubled the whole pattern or just kept working it until I liked the size of it. It covers our full size mattress. I'm sure you could fudge around with the amount of stitches and just come up with what you want. I will say that once this pattern gets going it works up pretty quickly. I didn't time myself because I did it during spare time , you know 15 minutes here another 20 there from day to day. I think I finished it over the course of a week.

Archived