New MAM CAL, care to join?

jelibeanjean

HEllo all you wonderful crocheters! I have made my mother an afghan for Christmas every year for the past 4 years, and she loves them! So, why stop a good thing? I decided to go ahead and start this years afghan, but I just moved and cant find my patterns. I think I found one that I really like on the net, at http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/free-patterns/Mile-A-Minute-Afghan-LW1182.pdf and I have the colors picked out as well. I would love for someone to join me in my "Mile long" journey, lol.

HI, I have a bunch going already at the moment, but i just thought i'd pop in and say that more people will see this if you re-post it under the CAL link and not the CAL archives, Hope you get lots of people to join you, the afghan pattern is very nice!

Well, that's just the newbie oozing out in me, lol. (and i have no idea where to repost, so I think i will just lurk right here in my cozy little haven, lol)

THanks for joining me Idyer! Im still not sure Im going to go with this pattern, but I cant find many more that i really like. I love shells!

I'm in too! I already started one, (also doing 2 round ripples that are more than half done), but I haven't gotten too far yet on the MAM. It is from an Annie's booklet from the late 90's that I bought on eBay. It has a football motif. Have to complete 60 footballs, and am only up to 15 since I am alternating projects.

Here is a picture of it:

ftblafghan.jpg

I will be doing it in navy and orange, not the yellow and green shown...the colors of my son's college team. I thought I would get it done to use at his games this year, but now I think it will be a miracle if I finish it before the football season is over.

Football Mom -

That afghans been on my to do list for a while. I have two uncles that would love it! Please keep us updated with your progress I'd love to see how it turns out. I'm hoping to start one after Christmas...I'm hoping that will give me enough time to get the UFO's and WIPS under control!

Quick update...

Up to 20 footballs now! The original pattern had the two parallel lines crocheted into the football. I didn't like the way it was coming out after a couple of tries, so I decided to embroider it on, like the instructions for the center lacing in the pattern. The embroidery is taking a little longer than I thought.

Stay tuned for more progress!

Well, I am up to 30 footballs now. Halfway there! I am dying to start attaching them and making the mile a minute strips, but I promised myself not to do anything until all 60 footballs were done.

Here is a shot of one with the embroidery on it, and one without.

footballs.jpg

They are actually the same size. They are just curling a teensy bit.

Back to the production line now, in between TRYING to finish the 2 Round Ripples that are both nearly done. See you soon, I hope.

Wow football mom. Those are looking great. That is going to be such a neat afghan. I can't wait to see it when it's put together.

I'm a little bogged down with WIPs at the minute. I did get a wonderful book of MAM afghan's gifted to me and there are a few I'd really like to try in there. So after I get a few of these WIPs out of the way I'll be here working on one too. I'll come in and check out the wonderful work though.

tobybob:

The pattern is from the book:

Annie's Quick & Easy Crochet to Go (Number 112)

August/September 1998

The cover photo is an afghan with squares containing giant red apples, bordered by gold diamonds.

As I said in a previous post, I wasn't happy with the way the footballs were coming out, so I changed them slightly...the lines are all embroidered, not crocheted in.

I think I have a long road ahead...I'm only up to football number 33 of 60. Then comes the real work of doing the strips. And I've never done a MAM before, so this should be a real learning process for me.

Welcome! I sure could use some company here!

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on a few things besides the football afghan, but I am making some progress again. I'm now up to 55 out of 60 footballs needed! Next step will be to embroider all the lines on the footballs, before starting the strips. This part was certainly very time consuming. I'm sure the crocheting of the strips will go faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I would be interested to see how you are doing with this? Where did you find the pattern for the footballs? My 10 yr old son is so into football it is not funny. I had a while ago found a free pattern online that was the entire field but done in tunisan but me and that stitch do not get along very well so I erased it and cannot find that pattern. I really like the footballs and thought those would be cute. Thanks.

Andrea,

Post #15 gives the info on the booklet this pattern came from. Post 6 has a picture of the afghan. It is an old pattern and may be difficult to find. I got it on eBay.

I have finished all the footballs, except for the embroidery, but I am taking a short break to finish up something else. I will probably be back working on the footballs again by the middle of next week.

thank you so much for answering me, I just bid on this actually on ebay last night lol, it was starting at .79 cents and so far I am the only bidder I think one more day to go to see if I get it lol. I am so excited. Thank you again.

Archived