^^^^Smoke Signals ^^^^^^^

JulieKay

Thanks Julie, I didn't jump into this Cal earlier, because, as you can see from my sig, I am rather overcommitted. Or is it, need to be committed for considering any more projects. :rofl:yes I like the idea of doing the jacket in one piece, but, with my newbie skills at making garments I'm not sure I can figure that out. :think Also the size thing is an issue for me. A 10 is a bit big, I'm more of an 8 in a jacket.

It would probably help if I made a swatch or lapghan just to get a feel for the pattern. I probably have some yarn I can use. :rolleyes It is really neat, just rather vague. At least, my understanding of it is shakey. I read thru some of the posts and did see where some are making the jacket. I like the idea of buttons instead of a sash, but am not sure how to tackle buttonholes. Do you get the impression I'm a little over my head here???

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leslie, I'm sorry I can't help you with it. I'm definitely not good at measuring things. My afghan turned out a bit short. But I'll keep on it. Maybe I'll just have it be a lapghan and donate it with the other one to where ever I finally decide to donate it.:yes.

Good luck on your jacket.

Thanks Donna, I have a little while to think about this. the sale isn't until Oct. 7th, so I have time to decide. I may just take the yarn amounts for the large afghan and add some extra of each color to it. that way I can be pretty sure I have enough of the same dye lot.

I'm going to get wool instead of RHSS. If I go to all this trouble I want to be working with a better quality yarn. Maybe I'll do a lapghan for the Football charity Challenge to get a feel for the pattern. God knows I have enough stash to make dozens of these. :blush:devil

I'm just going to repeat the colors. I'll probably go till I start running out of one of the colors. Not really sure yet. Although I think it would make a good sized lapghan. It's about the same length as Maddie (the 6 year olds) height.

Hi, I really would like to join this CAL. Donna(Doc) you're afghan is awesome, I love the colors. I think I'm going to make mine black, red. gray and white. Also, I wanted to pick a female Indian name, but they're all take, also all cowgirl names are taken too. Any suggestions?

Hi, I really would like to join this CAL. Donna(Doc) you're afghan is awesome, I love the colors. I think I'm going to make mine black, red. gray and white. Also, I wanted to pick a female Indian name, but they're all take, also all cowgirl names are taken too. Any suggestions?

Hi Linda - Check out this site.

Hi there Linda ~

We're gonna have to help you come up with a namesince we have several Lindas in the gang already -- I am trying to think of a good lady Indian name for you. I think Barb may have had a site for you, but forgot to post the link. I do that sometimes too !;)

Donna- yours is coming along well, I like the colors, especially the teal or whatever you'd call that color --it adds a lot to it. I always do lean towards green, though .

I have kinda let mine slide here, getting this other thing off the ground, but need to take time to work on my items too .

Leslie- I have done buttonholes on baby sweaters, they really aren't hard ..

just skip the number of stitches that you want the size of the hole to be, and chain that number instead ( so for example, skip 4, chain 4), then continue with the pattern . Next row, you will want to sc into each of the chains ,then continue on from there as before ...

Hope that was understandable- sometimes it's easier to show it than explain it .

Oops - yes, I'm a dork - meant to include the link, Linda - You might find something here.

http://www.over-land.com/westpers2.html

You're not a dork, stuff like that happens to the best of us. Thanks for the link, it did help. I want to be Laura Ingalls Wilder.:hook

I started reading a book called Nevermore last night. I'm not very far into it, but the two main characters are Edgar Allen Poe and Davey Crockett. (sounds weird, I know - but I think it's going to be really good) Anyway, reading the Davey Crockett parts is very educational as far as "western speak". I feel like I'm back here in this CAL.

Thanks Doc, much obliged. I've been kinda busy, so I haven't had alot of time to work on my afghan, but I'm working on it now. It's going a little faster now, I'll keep you updated.

Archived