TEDDY BEAR-Pattern Needed-UPDATED 8/22 -PICTURES

dragonfli

Question

FOR UPDATE SEE POST #45

Hello everyone. While I have checked in briefly here and there, I have been off the board for quite some time (since late May). My sister was in a horrible car accident, was seriously injured and tragically she lost her son. It has been hard, but she is recovering slowly. We take it one day at a time. I have been so focused on her recovery that I have not been able to crochet much or read, which are two things I really enjoy. I have also had to travel to three hours to the hospital, so I miss my family too. While in the intensive care unit with my sister I met a little boy who is 6 years old and was in an awful car accident himself. His recovery has been very slow and he is facing 6 months of intense physical therapy and then another year of routine physical therapy. He lost both of his parents in the accident and his grandparents are caring for him. I just started making him a comfortghan, which I almost have completed, but I also want to make him a teddy bear. I need a pattern for a teddy bear. I have searched the book stores, craft stores, and recently the internet and just cannot find a good teddy bear pattern. I want it to be a huggable size (not to tiny for a 6 year old) and I want the arms and legs to be movable. If any of you know of a pattern that I can buy or download from anywhere, can you respond here or send me a pm? Thanks to everyone in advance.

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you still looking for the jointed type? I had a pattern for an "antique" teddy years ago. It was jointed. It was harder than H*** to do. Insead of crocheting in the round you had to make many many pieces and sew them together...I HATE sewing. I put it aside I do not know what I did with it though...any way...my point. You can get the joints at any craft or hobby store and put them on any doll or teddy you make as I have done with some dolls. If I can locate the pattern I will let you know.

Good luck on your journey...you are a good person!

I love the Floppy Friends patterns by Kristie. She is a great person to work with. All of her patterns are terrific.

I don't get why it would say "Sold out" on a pattern, though--she just emails you the PDF, so how could it ever be sold out? I'm sure as soon as she is online she will get back to you. You could easily either use two strands of yarn and a larger hook or else a heavier weight yarn, like others have said, to make a bigger bear.

Hi,

Don't know if you're still looking, but the large one of these looks great.

http://http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PDF-CROCHET-PATTERN-Vintage-1930s-Toy-Doll-Teddy-Bear_W0QQitemZ200132061623QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41232QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is my first posting of a link, so, a) I hope it works and b) I hope I'm not crossing any crochetville or copyrighting laws, if so, I am soooooo sorry. (I checked the item and it did mention that there were no copyright issues, but not sure in relation to this site.) Anyways, you get the picture.

Susan

P.S. I know the auction is about to end, but this person always has them listed

I am so sorry it took me so long to get on and check my messages!

I have pm'd you back.... I need your email!

What a wonderful thing you are doing!

I am so sorry to hear of the accident. It is terrible when kids are in the hospital.

Kristie replied to my pm and it seems as soon as she restocked at that location they sold immediately!! No surprise they are so darn cute!!

I love the Floppy Friends patterns by Kristie. She is a great person to work with. All of her patterns are terrific.

I don't get why it would say "Sold out" on a pattern, though--she just emails you the PDF, so how could it ever be sold out? I'm sure as soon as she is online she will get back to you. You could easily either use two strands of yarn and a larger hook or else a heavier weight yarn, like others have said, to make a bigger bear.

:ty Hello everyone. I just wanted to give all of you an update and thank everyone for helping me find a teddy bear pattern. Thanks hugely to all of your efforts, and the kindness of the members here at the Ville, I now have a teddy bear pattern. I have finished the comfortghan and started on the teddy bear. I just want you all to know that, for reasons that are yet unclear to me, this project means a lot to me and I could not have done this without your help and support. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. :ghug

I only wanted to jump on and tell you I think you have a hugely kind heart! You were motivated and never stopped, your bear is going to be a wonderful gift! Prayers go out to the little boy and your sister.

Hey everyone, here is a new update. I am working on the teddy as we post. I got to chat with Ethan's physical therapist today and she said I should make him a hobby horse and that will be a tool for his physical therapy, so . . . . . . I just printed out a pattern from lion brand for a hobby horse and after I finish this teddy, I am making him the hobby horse. My DH is working on the wooden body (sanding, staining, drilling holes) so it will be done and dry by the time I need to attach the head. What is really great is that my sister has made friends with his grandparents and they have discoverd they live three blocks away from each other, my sister is now cutting fringe for the hobby horse mane. It is not an easy task for her using her hands but it seems to be making her feel better emotionally and her physical therapist says it is a good repetative exercise for her hands! I prayed for help and I feel that this is a very good thing!! Thanks everyone.

My heart is just about to burst. With all of the bad and hatred in this world, it is so good to hear that there are such caring people. If each person only did 1/4 even 1/8 what you have for this child...someone you never knew...the world might be a better place. Thank you...you inspire me to do more...:hug

Just for comparison in hook sizes and yarn to give you some ideas if you want to make Kristie's pattern bigger than the original size:

For the 18" giant panda pattern here:

http://bhg.com/bhg/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/GreatGifts_GiantPanda_09172003.xml

the pattern uses Bernat Soft Boucle (chunky weight) and a size J/10 (6.00 mm) crochet hook.

For the 13" bear:

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa110897.htm

the pattern uses worsted weight yarn and a size G crochet hook.

Sounds like you have the glasses covered for the bear then. :)

Good luck! I'm sure you will hear from Kristie as soon as she is online and reads your PM. It may help to contact her through her Etsy store too but you'll have to be a member of Etsy to do that.

HTH!

I'm reading all the posts and get to the one with the little boys name: Ethan, my heart stopped as that is my oldest son's name (he's 15), when he was 9 mths old he was in Children's Hospital in Vancouver BC, what you are doing for this little boy is very special, its great to see all the people on the 'ville so caring.

Please keep us posted and let us see a pic of the bear when done.

:manyheart

I am sorry it took me so long to update everyone. I have been up north with my sister. She was just released from the hospital after recovering from her most recent, hopefully last, surgery. She doesn't have to go back into rehab after this one so we settled her in at home with two home care nurses. She does not have internet access, so I have been unable to check e-mail or get on Crochetville. I am home now for a week and my husband will go back with me next week and get her all set up with a compter (donated by her employer - wonderful man), so that she can have access to the internet, her doctors, family and hopefully eventually work a bit from home, I think this may keep her mind occupied. I will still be going up there about every other week for the time being. I made the teddy bear. It turned out perfect and he loved it. I also made him a comfortghan and a small comfortgan for the teddy that matched his and a hobby horse. I couldn't take pictures in the hospital, but my hubby took a few before we took them to him, so I am going to try to post those as soon as I am able. Agian, I want to thank everyone here at the "Ville" for for all of your help, kindness and generosity.

Ok, everyone, here are the pictures I promised!! Sorry it took so long, I have been trying to divide my time between my sister and my husband and daughter (we live 3 hours apart). In addition, my daughter just started back to school today (age 9) so things have been unbelievably busy.

Here is Teddy. His glasses (all 3 pair) would not fit), but he is so cute anyway!! He has an afghan that matches the afghan I made for him.

DSC01397.jpg

Here is the afghan I made for him.

DSC01398.jpg

Here is the whole crew, including the Hobby Horse.

DSC01403.jpg

I want to thank everyone, again!!

God leads us to strange and wonderful places sometimes. It is things like what you did for Ethan that make all of the people at Crochetville a wonderful community. Not just people who crochet, for fun but use their gift in caring and giving to others. I have a feeling your journey with this young man has just started.

Archived