Just Wondering...

There are such beautiful doily patterns out there, but most of the people I know don't use doilies any more. It seems a shame to let such gorgeous patterns go unused simply because of a lack of people who use doilies, so I was wondering, has anyone ever tried using these patterns with worsted weight yarn to make afghans or shawls? :think

I've been thinking about trying this, but was wondering if anyone has any actual experience with this? If so, does the conversion from thread to yarn work well? Or do the extra-large, woolie "doilies" lose something in the translation? I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences with this. :)

Elle

Gosh, I wish I still had them around. I learned to crochet using ww yarn and doily patterns!! :lol It translated well, and they looked fine to me. Of course, that was almost 15 years ago. :) I used variegated yarns because that was what the friends who taught me had, and we used small patterns, so they turned out like large doilies. :) Not a lot of help, but at least you know it's been done? :blush

(Oh, and I know a lot of gals who put doilies on their bridal registry gifts, so they still get used!! :) )

Thanks for your replies! :)

The pieces in the links were both so pretty! I'm glad I got to see a couple of examples of what "extra large doilies" look like.

I love to make afghans, there are so many beautiful patterns out there (and I have finally found my camera cord, so when I complete them now I can post pics!), but I had been thinking lately that it would be nice to have patterns for pretty, frilly afghans for more formal bedrooms. Crocheting afghans from doily patterns seemed like such a good idea, I'm really looking forward now to starting one. Plus, it gives me something else to look for on Ebay - doily patterns!

Elle

someone near and dear to me offered to make me a doily. now mind you i don't use them....always thought they were useless when i was growing up. and i still don't use them. however they make lovely wall art! find a nice frame and welllha! pretty! now she has spaked my interest in trying to make one! uh oh :eek

The book Amazing Crochet Lace is somewhat based on this idea - the patterns are basically doily patterns "exploded".

Theres also a doily pattern made using ww yarn in the latest Crochet Today magazine - they frame the finished piece and create some mod-type wall art.

A friend of mine uses four strands of ww yarn held together and doily patterns to create cute rugs.

• 6 months later...

:lolI just saw your shawls over there and was going to see if I could e-amil you to ask you about them. I think they are grogerous and are on my NEXT to do list. Thanks for sharing they are gorgeous.

Debbi

PS: I've done doilies in yarn and they work out fine. yes WW acrylic yarn. They work great in keeping heavy items in place. Wash up nicely. Look good. I've done them in baby yarn too. Thicker thread (size 3). Double strand size 10 thread. So they are very veristle.

:lolI just saw your shawls over there and was going to see if I could e-amil you to ask you about them. I think they are grogerous and are on my NEXT to do list. Thanks for sharing they are gorgeous.

Debbi

PS: I've done doilies in yarn and they work out fine. yes WW acrylic yarn. They work great in keeping heavy items in place. Wash up nicely. Look good. I've done them in baby yarn too. Thicker thread (size 3). Double strand size 10 thread. So they are very veristle.

What did you want to know about them?

• 3 weeks later...

I love crocheting doilies and recently have noticed they are making a comeback for "decorating" in interior magazines and fine furnishings stores. I also saw in a magazine (can't remember which one) where doilies were used on quilt blocks and then assembled into a quilt. It was lovely but haven't a clue how'd you would attach all the little "doohickies" of a doily so that they would lay flat and stay that way on a quilt block!!!! Sometimes I use baby yarn to make an expanded doily for a christening blanket. Those seem to turn out all right.

I missed your post... :blush... I just saw the photos and was going to ask about a pattern, if avaiable, etc. And I finished one by now... Pineapple Cape . But you answered my questions here, thanks!

Debbi

I've done about 20 of those shawls from the doily pattern on Celtwich's site. I like making them when I'm bored and want something a little challenging (havent memorized the pattern yet) and I want it finished quickly. Takes me a couple of days to a week to make one of those shawls.

I love crocheting doilies and recently have noticed they are making a comeback for "decorating" in interior magazines and fine furnishings stores. I also saw in a magazine (can't remember which one) where doilies were used on quilt blocks and then assembled into a quilt. It was lovely but haven't a clue how'd you would attach all the little "doohickies" of a doily so that they would lay flat and stay that way on a quilt block!!!! Sometimes I use baby yarn to make an expanded doily for a christening blanket. Those seem to turn out all right.

In a Crochet Today there was a doily they framed, did one in black and one in white using size 3 thread. More for decorating then functional uses (which is what doilies were intended for). I'm guessing you could iron them after washing if you used cotton fabric too... but I don't know, I don't quilt...

I've done about 20 of those shawls from the doily pattern on Celtwich's site. I like making them when I'm bored and want something a little challenging (havent memorized the pattern yet) and I want it finished quickly. Takes me a couple of days to a week to make one of those shawls.

Wow 20! They are actually easy, I just stopped for a while after I finished the pinapples because the pineapple points had all those ends to weave in, but yes they are quick to make.

I would love to try a doily and make it into an afghan. Haven't done that yet, just have done yarn doilies.

Debbi

Archived