An Unusual Way to Help Babies of Soldiers

birdlady1

I'm not sure I buy this but take a look at this site: http://www.blanketsfordeployeddaddies.com/

Essentially, baby blankets are mailed to soldier mommies and daddies in Iraq or Afghanistan. They sleep with the blanket for several days so their scent is embedded in the blanket. It's then placed in a ziploc bag and returned to the States and given to the baby of the soldier.

What do you think?

I just don't know. I read the site, it looks like they only accept knitters.

My husband retired from the USMC and my SIL is currently in, but I have never heard of this. I'm going to ask around to check further and let you know if I found out anything new.

The story was featured on my local TV station news. I'd bet anything that they accept crocheters. But, yes, please keep us posted on this unusual way of helping military families.

It sounds like an interesting idea. I would think the "scent" would end up being washed away. A baby has a tendency to be a bit messy and the blanket would need to be washed.....

It sounds like an interesting idea. I would think the "scent" would end up being washed away. A baby has a tendency to be a bit messy and the blanket would need to be washed.....

According to the website, the scent will last about three months maximum. Then the blanket can be washed, remailed to the soldier to begin the process again.

They often recommend to moms to sleep with a shirt or something that can be given to baby as a comfort object during the day (esp if baby has a hard time napping on his/her own) so I think this is a great idea. Comforting for both parent who's away, and parent who's home with baby. And of course baby, who will (hopefully) better recognize daddy/mommy's scent when they return.

BTW, I did a snopes search (the urban legend website) and nothing came up, so it does seem legit!

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard of doing this when a couple has a child and they have a dog. They present the blanket to the animal, so that the dog can bond easily with the child. So maybe it could work for the Mom/Dad to the child...sounds interesting...keep us posted.

i did that for myself... When Hubby went on deployment the first time i had him mail me one of his shirts....hehe

I also did it when my daughter was born, He was on deployment Overseas. We were lucky he was able to come home when she was born so before he left i had him leave me a shirt he wore and i put it in a plastic baggie for when she got out of the hospital and could sleep with it:D

• 2 weeks later...

When my husband was in the navy and gone on deployment, I left the last item of clothing he left dropped on the floor where he left it. It gave me a smile and made me think about how lucky I was to have him and the dirty shirt on the floor was trivial--I picked it up, swept/mopped the floor and put it back. This blanket thing sounds very interesting and a good idea.

This probably gives the father some comfort too. Sleeping with a blanket for a few nights that he knows will be snuggled up to his newborn.

It looked pretty legit to me seeing the news story they had on the site. I don't think they could make that up.

Archived