washcloths?

rsisland

Does anyone make washcloths? I've made dishcloths with the cotton yarn, but I keep seeing things about washrags. Do you still use the cotton? Is it soft enough to wash with? How about for babies? Sorry about all questions but I enjoy making dishrags and thought washcloths would be good to work on next.

thank you

Robin :think

I have been using regular cotton(sugar and cream) and a larger hook an dthey seem softer than when I use the hook they say to use. But you could also use cotton tots. That stuff is super soft.

Also look at cotton chenille for washcloths. It's super soft. :c9

Thanks for the suggestion. I had never thought of that.

And thanks for bring up this topic. I too am interested in the recommendations.

Question: What patterns do y'all use for washcloths? I was thinking of making some, but I don't have any patterns that wows me. The imporant things that I am looking for are: a) it doesn't dry stiff (or not completely stiff), and b) it can be wrung out.

I posted a couple in the charity section about the tsunami victims. One is a hexagon and there are some links on the sight for the charity that I found helpful.

I'm using some coned cotton - Fox Fibre organic. I really love this yarn, the thicker weights make a nice textured, exfoilating type washcloth, and a few strands of the thread held together make nice soft ones that would be good for a baby. They also make a chenille, and a boucle... here's a link

I also want to try the organic cotton from Blue Sky, but haven't yet... i pet it everytime I'm at my LYS tho...

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from someone else in Crochetville that cotton tots does not work well for washcloths/dishcloths. It gets a "slimey" feeling when wet. I have not tried it. I am quite happy with sugar and cream.

You know, I'm currently working with CottonTots, and although it's very nice and soft, it has a strange texture to me that reminds me of PAPER! Like folded tissue paper, I think (I can't even really pinpoint it). In fact, I had been a little worried it would seperate in the wash.

Question - where would I find cotton chenille? I think I would like to try washcloths out of that. Is Lion Brand cotton?

I use cotton tots for wash clothes, & regular cotton for dish clothes. I've never experienced a "slimey" feeling at all, as a matter of fact, I luv the way cotton tots feels against my skin!! BUT I could have gotten a good batch of cotton tots, or a difference in the water or something I guess.

This is one of my favorite washcloth patterns..

http://members.tripod.com/~kpup/html/washcloth.html

thanks for all the different links, ladies :U

also, my opinion about the cotton tots... although i have never made washcloths from it... i've done several baby ghans... while it feels great, i've heard (when i asked - she didn't call me cursing one day :P) that after a few washings, the yarn begins to pill.....

so, doubt i'll ever buy this stuff again. glad i got what i used for only 50cents a skein!!!--- i probably have 10 left, not sure what to do with it now ?

Archived