Bullion stitch help

barbstitches

Question

I'm trying to learn to do the bullion stitch, but my efforts are not good so far. Any tips or hints to do it better? Is there a special crochet hook that works best? :hook

9 answers to this question

The best type of crochet hook for a bullion stitch is an older boye " inline" hook. That is, it does not have the curved taper of the newer hooks. When I was learning that stitch, I did not wrap the thread really tight and left enough room to easily pull my hook through. It will take some practice, but you will get the feel of it. :hook

Another hint: practise starting with fewer 'wraps' than called for in the pattern. For example, if it calls for 10, start with 3 or 4, then build up.

I had a devil of a time! I walked away from it a bit, but I'm not one to totally give up on something, so came back after awhile and finally got it.

Sally

I made the bullion stitch belt in the Fabulous & Flirty Crochet book and, though it wasn't the easiest stitch, I just perservered. No matter how loosely I wrapped the yarn, though, I still had to scoot the stitches off the end of the hook 2 or 3 at a time..... by the end of the project, I wasn't any better at this stitch than when I started!!! But I really like the look and the texture it gives.

Archived