What kind of hook do you prefer and why?

I like the plastic and I am a recent convert to in-line hooks. It took me a bit to get used to the difference but I like them much better now...

I like the in-line hooks as well. So much so that I replaced all my Boye hooks with Susan Bates.

I have a complete set of Boye that I gave to my Daughter.

I have a complete set of Bates with the foam cushion in my 'Hairdresser's are shear pleasure' coffee cup sitting next to my crochet chair and another complete set in my hook case.

I have my 3 Jimbo hooks each in individual cases so they don't get scratched.

Plastic - ugh. The white Bates isn't bad, it slides nice. The bright acrylic plastic ones are just plain awful. The lion brand plastic are marketed as 'bendable'. They slide great but you can flex one in half with a suck stitch.

I learned how to crochet on my Grandmother's old Boye hooks and felt weird even trying a Bates. I was given her Nieces crochet stuff when he hands couldn't hold a hook anymore. (I was the only cousin that took up crocheting) I fell in love with Bates hooks the first time I ever used one.

It was the same way with my Jimbo hooks. They're just made to fit my hands. If you ever decide to get a good wooden hook I strongly suggest a Jimbo!

I always keep a piece of waxpaper by me to down my hooks when for when they start to lose their slip.

I am positively in love with my Clover Soft Touch hooks! Prior to that, I've used mostly Boye aluminum, or various brands of steel hooks. I recently purchased some Clover lighted hooks, and just started using one last night on a project with dark yarn. It just doesn't slide as well as the regular Soft Touch hooks. But the light does help.

I have some wooden, and bamboo hooks, but they're mostly unused, as they aren't the sizes I'm using most often.

I am planning a project where I'll need a larger size hook, and I do have a Brittany size L. I tested it out a while back, and although it moved smoothly enough, I found it rolling around on me, which was distracting and annoying.

Ruth

I love my cherry wood hooks and following that my Bates Quicksilver. I have some Brittany wooden hooks that I like, except the size M which feels awkward. I think I refer plastic for the large sizes.

I use Quick Silver, by an English company, they're aluminum with a very smooth coating. I haven't seen them in stores for years though. I had 5 old hooks (size E or smaller, not labled), I broke one and found out it was bone, not plastic. I showed my mom the rest and she said one might be ivory. I don't use them any more.

Ellie 13

I like Boye aluminum. My mom gave me her set when she taught me to crochet. I then boutght another set and gave my set to my girlfriend when I taught her to crochet. The set I bought years ago I lost my case including my fav N needle :( So I gave the remaining to my daughter and bought a new set. I don't use larger needle sizes much but I loved the N. I cannot find Boye alum. one in the stores. They are all out!??? Michael's and Joanns...haven't tried Walmart yet.

Anyway I have a blanket to do and wanted to try P. I didn't want to buy one just in case it didn't work. I borrowed my mom's. It was plastic. I just could not use it. It was too light and didn't feel right in my hands. So I will keep looking for alum. N....

I am positively in love with my Clover Soft Touch hooks!

I second that sentiment. And I'm not just saying that because I'm Japanese and Clover is a Japanese company. :D The coating on the hooks makes yarn slide really easily and the handle is very easy on my hand. I think they work better for people with small hands.

...The coating on the hooks makes yarn slide really easily and the handle is very easy on my hand. I think they work better for people with small hands.

I love 'em for exactly those reasons! And my hands ARE small. :)

Archived