What's the best yarn to use for shawl?

stitchgirl

Question

For those of you who have made shawls or wraps, what is your advice on the best fiber. I want to do one for summer, so I'd prefer it to be lightweight. I was thinking about a cotton/rayon blend yarn. What do you think?

9 answers to this question

I have a skein of TLC Cotton Plus that I think would be wonderful for a summer weight shawl. (Have no idea why I have this but I do :wlol )

However, the pattern might have at least as great an effect on its usefulness as the yarn.

I totally agree Darski - the pattern probably will dictate to the weight of the piece as much as the yarn. So I guess I want to make sure I choose a pattern that is pretty open. I know there's a ton out there - just a matter of choosing. Also, I'm on 5'2", so I don't want something real long.

while I do like Cotton Plus, I am currently working on a shawl in Panda Cotton. (Crystal Palace Yarns.) It feels so nice and drapes beautifully. It is a bamboo cotton nylon blend.... love it

Bamboo would be great. I have one of those planned. Or a 100% cotton (I recently made a Sweet Pea from Blue Sky Organic Cotton and it is amazing. I'm currently making another out of a mercerized cotton that is similar to the kind the pattern calls for.)

Silk is also nice, but depends on the weight. Some silk can be heavy and some light and smooth. I haven't seen bamboo yarn, but it sounds nice. Sounds pricey, too. :)

A couple of years ago, I made a summer shawl out of Paton's Grace cotton and just loved it, so now I'm in the middle of two more with Grace. I made my daughter a shawl (for nursing) out of Tahki Stacy Charles (beautiful sheen and very easy to work with, but not quite as soft as Grace).

Archived