Does Anyone Really Use These?

I am trying to expand the line of baby things I make, but being practical, I want them to be things people will use. Does anyone really use bottle warmers? And what about the tethers for pacifiers? It has been a looooong time since I had little ones, so I would like a more current perception. And, is there anything you would have liked to have gotten or had for your babies-that can be crocheted, of course? Would appreciate any feedback. I really like making the baby toys, but they just do not sell.

Glenda

Bottle warmers? Nope I didn't use them. I nursed my son and therefor no bottles. With my daughter I had to FF but her bottles were so cute with Eeyore and things that I never wanted them covered. I even had a cute pattern that I never got around to making.

Binky clip? Yup I had on that my MIL bought and I did use quite a bit with my daughter in the first couple of months. She ended up giving it up on her own soon and we didn't need either then.

My son never used a binky.

Other than that I really can't help you. Anything I wish I had that was crocheted, were things that I wish I had crocheted myself.

Good luck.

I am not sure about bottle warmers. Never saw one used. I would think the pacifier tethers would be good. My DD uses them. Stroller and car seat blankets are good. Hats and sweaters, burp cloths, nursing shawls, (trying to think of what my dds use). I don't know why toys don't sell, they are so easy to grab! Maybe hooded towel blankets and soft washcloths? Can't think of any others. It's been a long time for me too!:D

Bibs? I know I would appreciate some softer washcloths to wipe my dd's face when she eats. Paper towels or anything rough leaves red marks on her face. Also, I know that people who use cloth diapers also use reusable cloth wipes but I'm not sure if that would work in crochet or not.... Have to think about that one I guess.

Also, I know that people who use cloth diapers also use reusable cloth wipes but I'm not sure if that would work in crochet or not.... Have to think about that one I guess.

Usually you don't crochet or knit the diapers. You use a cloth one and crochet or knit a diaper cover. ;)

i used my DDs binky tether FOREVER, but we were always on the go. the blankies with the hole for the clasp are awesome. hooded towels are great too. i used bottle carrier that came with the diaper bag.... i think thats what you mean? but i used it alot, especially in the winter. cute hats are awesome.... i wish i had had more of them! (lil devil, kitty ears etc) HTH!! :hook

Usually you don't crochet or knit the diapers. You use a cloth one and crochet or knit a diaper cover. ;)

I didn't mean the diapers, I mean the wipes to wipe the baby's butt when you change their diaper. I actually use cloth wipes myself but only for the wet diapers, since I'm not set up for the whole cloth diaper thing right now and don't want to deal with poopy wipes. I wouldn't mind using a soft crochet wipe for the wet diapers, just not sure how I feel about it for the poopy ones. But if you sold crochet washcloths they would work for whatever people wanted to use them for, that just might be another way to market it.

Hats, blankies, and as far as bibs go, I love the ones where you use a dish towel, cut a hole near the top and then edge the hole in crochet. The crochet makes it look so cute but the dish towel is easier to clean and a little more absorbent.

pacifier tethers are a necessity if you are alone in the car with a child. My cousin's little girl loves her blanket that has satin "tabs" around the edge kind of like clothing tags sewn on but made of satin ribbon. some people are afraid to purchase handmade toys for fear of choking hazards so perhaps if you could show that thiongs are securely sewn on the toys might sell. I made Large care Bears for the kids in the family and the eyes were supposed to be felt glued on. I did not feel comfortable with glued eyes for the babies so I created a crochet pattern for the eyes using the template that was in the book for the felt eyes and they worked out great. Now two years later the toys have been well loved and washed multiple times with no "surgery" needed.

How about novelty hats like a strawberry hat or what my sister had was a blanket to cover her modesty when she was breast feeding in public.

I wonder about bottle warmers, thinking of the bacteria breeding in the milk turning it into yoghurt.

how about funky jumpers in unusual colours. I love the idea of making a bumble bee sweater.

I am going to make some rings in the olympic colours all intertwined for my mates little one. and a crocheted book with bright colours and shapes.

my friend has an 8 month old daughter

she doesnt use "pacifier tethers" but if i was her i probably would... her daughter loves to throw/drop it

ive never seen her use a bottle warmer and when my grandmom babysits her she never sends one over

how about wrist rattles? (wrist band with a animal head filled with rattle stuff)

if you do that put the rattle stuff in a well sewn fabric "bag"

she loves crinkly noises, maybe stuff some things with plastic bags, just make sure they cant get the plastic bag out

ummm toys to attack to the car seat handle to play with in the car

You guys are so sweet. Thanks for the suggestions. I am hitting myself on the forehead, saying "Duh! Guess I should have told you what I do make that sells." Blankets, bibs, burp pads, bath mitts, hooded blankets, booties, hats, scratch mitts, baby pillows, baby sleeping door signs, diaper shirts, sweaters, christening gowns, diaper covers, baby dresses, bonnets, onesies, those are the things I make and wanted something new. You really get tired of making the same thing hundreds of times. Have thought about trying the bunting blankets. Something else that occurred to me yesterday when I saw a lady on here who made a rolled up afghan that had a handle to carry it for cancer patients. Wonder if a blanket or diaper changing pad like that would be handy for a new mother. I made one really cute little bag for washing baby booties and socks in, but no one else seemed as thrilled about it as I was. I surely wish I had had one when my Amazons were little. Modesty blankets for nursing mothers-what size are they?

Glenda

As far as a nursing wrap, I'd love one in an adult color/yarn to use after the baby stops nursing and to make me feel like more than a milk machine. :D I think you could try it around yourself--a rectangle would be better than a triangular shawl--just soft, not too hot but not too holey, and to wrap around you.

I know there's a nursing wrap pattern over at Crochet Me; you could skeedaddle over and find it to see what they've suggested. Good luck!

Just make sure that the binky tethers are fairly short. Some parents might be concerned about a strangulation hazard with a long cord. I've read advice in new baby books that warn against long binky tethers, and some parents take the words of those new baby books as law.

~ Joy

Thanks for the definitive length of 6 inches. I have been searching, but keep getting distracted. I start looking on a site and end up half an hour later wondering what I had been looking for. Think it must be crochetitis. I did find a breast feeding blanket on Bev's site that gave me a size. And they are about the size of the 'binkies' that a young mother asked me to make for her little one. When they go to the doctor's office, they have those little snugglies for the toddlers and they just love them. Anyway, sounds like they could be a dual purpose item.

Glenda

I've never used a baby bottle, and only used a pacifier a total of three weeks with three kids (two weeks one kid, one week another), so neither a bottle cover nor a paci holder would appeal to me, and I'm insulted by the very idea of breastfeeding cover-ups.

It might be a good idea to brainstorm some things to aim toward breastfeeding mothers, as it is thankfully becoming more common. There's a breastfeeding symbol come up with by the ladies over at Mothering, and I have already seen a knit washcloth version of it that a lot of the members of their community are ga-ga over, so I'd bet you could crochet an intarsia version of it as a washcloth and sell quite a few. (I actually have a condensed version of a chart for it over at my blog, if the idea appeals to you.)

Crocheted wool soakers (not diaper covers; there is a difference which I am still trying to suss out but it is at least somewhat to do with material) or longies to go over cloth diapers are also popular.

Another big product these days is something called "Babylegs", which are essentially legwarmers. (They're supposed to protect baby knees from crawling; I'd be darned if I know the reason these are suddenly a necessity but there ya go.) I've seen lots of talk about how nice a crocheted version of these would be.

I think kerchiefs (headscarves) would also be a good idea. I loathe those little elastic and lace headbands--they look like garters to me--and I think a crocheted version would be nice.

I'd be a very small "breastfeeder's" diaper bag would be a nice thing as well, especially felted. Diaper bags are still designed for formula feeding. Most nursing mommies don't need bottle holders. A couple of compartments for holding diapers & maybe an attached thing to hold a cell phone would be nice to me, but it may well be something too labor-intensive to turn a profit on.

One last thought: a little round holder for nursing pads. I've never used them personally, but I know a lot of women who do, even many who use reuseable ones, and it has always struck me that it'd be nice to have something to pretty those things up when you're carrying them around. You might also want to go measure a tube of Lanisoh & see if you can interest folks in a holder for it. ;)

Sabra, and the rest, thank you for your thoughtful suggestions. You have given me some new directions to look into. My intentions are to provide quality useful handmade baby items for the military families and do it for reasonable prices. Not just cutesy-okay, some cutesy LOL.

Glenda

The thing I've been making all my friends for presents (well, they are requesting them) is a mesh bag for washing baby socks in so they don't get lost in the washer or dryer. Very easy to make and little materials (I make mine out of size 10 thread, but could probably be done with size 3 cotton, too).

Archived