A Magic Ball

I guess that would depend on what was being made with it!

I would say that scarf-sized would be about right, since you could use that amount of yarn to make a bag, too, or a hat and a small bag to match.

What's a Magic Ball?
a magic ball has 2 deffinitions, one is a big ball you make and roll up by tieing all of your scraps together. the other type, and what type she is talking about, if a ball of yarn (usually enough to make a scarf or other accessory) that has been hand rolled into a big ball with little things stuck into it, st marker, ribbons, hooks/needles, and other misc items. they are pretty fun to make and receive because you never know what you'll get

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=811579&postcount=96

Someone recently asked that same question in the thread linked above. Take a look, starting at post 96 (I think the link will take you straight there). There's some pretty thorough explanations there on the scrap-style magic ball.

~ Joy

Wow,,,all of the responses took me by suprise! Sorri I hadn't replied earlier, my connection has been ermm,,,, ikky.

i read your blog post too and what about having a summer magic ball swap here on the ville?! sounds like fun to me and i would totally be in to it.

I like this idea!! It would be fun, but how many ppl need to be interested before anything like this is started?

Ha! Guess I never saw that blog, I made one bigger than a basketball to make a round ripple from! I used all my scraps up!

:lol :lol Can't wait to see it!!!:yes

That is such a great idea!! If there is a swap, I would love to be involved! :manyheart

And thanks to everyone posting links that explained what in the world this "magic ball" is. Honestly, when I clicked the thread, I thought Riohnna was talking about trying to crochet a Magic 8 Ball... :think

Hi Debbie, did you work over the ends when you made your magic ball ripple? Or leave them showing? Clever idea to do a ripple this way. It's fun to see what color comes next!

Ha! Guess I never saw that blog, I made one bigger than a basketball to make a round ripple from! I used all my scraps up!

That is such a great idea!! If there is a swap, I would love to be involved! :manyheart

And thanks to everyone posting links that explained what in the world this "magic ball" is. Honestly, when I clicked the thread, I thought Riohnna was talking about trying to crochet a Magic 8 Ball... :think

LOLOL!! I had a feeling someone would think that!! I don't think a magic 8 ball would be hard to crochet,,,,,.

Oh, on this ball I have started, the yarns are WW, and I am doing the russian joining method. Also, the yarns are cotton/acrylic blends, but I just found a bit yesterday that is a wool blend. Is mixing fibers ok in a magic ball?

fiddleyarn.....I worked over the ends in the round ripple:hook . I also made a magic ball with shorter pieces of yarn (about 18") to make a multicolor panta. A Panta is a wide headband that covers the ears. We have been having some issues:eek with our digital camera, so when we get that sorted out I will post a lot of new photos.....until then....:) Riohnna......mixing fibers can be an issue if you are going to wash the item....some fibers will shrink whereas others won't.........then your finished item will pucker and not lay correctly...something to keep in mind!

i contacted the swap coordinator but all the swaps are determined in jan so if we want to wait and put it in the list for next yr we can or we can go to the off forum swaps and organize something on a blog/webpage.

if there are just a handful of us i would be willing to organize something. let me know

Archived