Using a doily pattern as a baby blanket? ** Updated with a picture**

Shebop

Question

Hi Girls,

I've been looking for the "right" pattern for my new niece's baby blanket. I want something light and open, yet pretty and appropriate for a baby.

Has anyone used a doily pattern to make a baby blanket using soft yarn?

I found this pattern at crochetpatterncentral (scroll to the bottom to see the finished doily)

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/february5.html

I like the hearts. Do you think this will work?

I'm thinking of using purple carron ss yarn (my sil loves purple) and maybe trying to make the hearts each a different color (ie.. red, yellow, white, pink, orange...)

Thanks for your thoughts!

If you do the center hearts in one color, then with another color, skip the pineapples and just work 5 (6?) rounds solid sc (dc?), increasing above and between the hearts. Then make a heart round, and repeat until it'sthe size you want. I love the pattern though. Good luck!

Ellie 13

I was thinking about this thread when I was at AC Moore's today.

I found a book called Extra Special Doilies by Mary Werst (Leisure Arts)

and I noticed that most of these patterns are not as lacy as typical doilies. The cover one looks almost solid. So, 50% coupon in hand I bought the book and some some sport yarn to try it out. They look complicated with lots of post stitches but I am hoping to develop some skills this summer! Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can handle!

Congratulations!!! I like people who are willing to try something and maybe stretch the skill levels. :hug

If you have any problems, just ask here and we will help if we can. :yes:yay

I was thinking about this thread when I was at AC Moore's today.

I found a book called Extra Special Doilies by Mary Werst (Leisure Arts)

and I noticed that most of these patterns are not as lacy as typical doilies. The cover one looks almost solid. So, 50% coupon in hand I bought the book and some some sport yarn to try it out. They look complicated with lots of post stitches but I am hoping to develop some skills this summer! Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can handle!

th_heartblanket.jpg

Hey, I thought I'd update all of you on my attempt. I couldn't hold out any longer and gave it and started yesterday. You wouldn't believe the mess I had with ends to weave in and all, but I love how it looks so far. I'm just starting the next row of colored hearts and then will keep repeating with the rows until its big enough.

You all were so kind to help, I just had to show how its going.

Thanks again!

That pattern is stunning, thank you ladies! I bookmarked that one, I'll have to make it someday!

You are all so helpful. I'll post the heart doily as a blanket once I get going on it, I have to finish the other project 1st but this one is making my fingers itch!

I find that MOST patterns are scalable... if you raise the yarn weight and use an appropriate hook for that yarn, you should end up with a doily blankie rather easily... the ratio relations between the stitches should remain about the same no matter what the scale... though, yeah, sometime the texture or weight of the yarn will affect the pattern.

I agree with this completely. i love doily patterns and I cannot work with thread or even finer yarns for very long. if I am going to get to play "doilies" it has to be in WW yarn. I have found that some patterns are just not that great 'writ large' though as long runs (10 or more chains) just do not do what you want. Gives a whole new meaning to Hole-y cow!

I was thinking that the Autumn Wheat pattern would make a very nice blankie if you can use a baby wt yarn. It would be a good summer weight blankie. I might give it a try for a little one that I know.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/AutumnWheat.html

I find that MOST patterns are scalable... if you raise the yarn weight and use an appropriate hook for that yarn, you should end up with a doily blankie rather easily... the ratio relations between the stitches should remain about the same no matter what the scale... though, yeah, sometime the texture or weight of the yarn will affect the pattern.

(I got a free pattern for roses to use as pins/embellishments etc somewhere long ago, and memorized it so I have no idea where it originally came from <probably LION>... but it scales up and down just fine for any weight yarn, everything from the wool ease superchunky stuff, down to craft thread.... or course the basic look changes a bit, as well as the size and texture.)

OOooooo thank you so much for your help girls!

Darski, that is sooo much help, I can't believe you had that already done at home! Its so good to have an idea of how it would work out. I was thinking I'd just repeat the rows until I had it the size I want. If you think that's possible then I'm going to go for it! Thank you so much!!!

Now, if I can just finish that granny star for my son so I can get going on this!

Having had 3 babies myself, and the last is only 6 months old, I don't really feel concerned about babies fingers getting stuck in holes. I have a hard time thinking of a scenario where that would happen. If that is what you are concerned about I would think smaller holes would be more of a problem than bigger ones. Really, I only use blankets with babies for sleeping until they are big enough to grab things and pull them over their heads, and then when they are big enough to know not to pull them over their heads.:lol Not that you shouldn't make crocheted blankets. They are great when they are little and when bigger for a lovee or a bedspread and nice and warm for a wrap when you're out.

Darksi,

Did you whip up that huge yarn doiley just to help out on this thread?

In awe ~ Joy

\

NO, I did that one a few years back. I love that pattern but it just wasn't a yarn-y kind of project.

I might be tempted to try it in a finer weight of WW yarn though.

I love the hearts on the original pattern I posted, I can just see the blanket in purple with the rainbow hearts.

I had thought about it being too small, but I wondered if I could adapt the pattern to just repeat the rows and add more rounds. I haven't tried it yet because I'm finishing a bedspread for my son 1st.

Thanks for you input girls, I'll post it and let you know when I decide I guess.

You're all the best!

I did that original pattern you listed in WW yarn and it came out at about 30 inches. it really wouldn't be that hard to add more to it when you look at that last row. Ok I lied it is 32 inches :wlol

heart2.jpg

heart1.jpg

Like I said this is WW yarn and a larger hook so the holes are huge on this one. It also doesn't want to work out roundly... IYKWIM. I also fudged the edged to make it more solid

It is a great pattern and could likely be added to if you just work those pineapple and final hearts rows again in a baby weight

Thanks for all you input girls,

Darski, that is a beautiful pattern, it would make a lovely blanket.

I don't mind the holes that much because my kids used crochet blankets and they were the only ones I felt comfortable letting them use at 1st because of the holes, I knew they could breathe easily through them if they needed to. Also they aren't too heavy, more open and light.

I love the hearts on the original pattern I posted, I can just see the blanket in purple with the rainbow hearts.

I had thought about it being too small, but I wondered if I could adapt the pattern to just repeat the rows and add more rounds. I haven't tried it yet because I'm finishing a bedspread for my son 1st.

Thanks for you input girls, I'll post it and let you know when I decide I guess.

You're all the best!

You picked a beautiful doily to convert to an afghan, I understand the concern over the holes, and the baby's fingers getting caught. Could you perhaps line the back with a flannel..babyflannel something not to heavy?

I just did a test swatch with the first 6 rounds and started the 7th. I used my favorite baby blanket yarn-Softee Baby-and a size G hook. It worked up quickly and looks nice but I, too, think the holes are bigger than I would want for a baby blanket. Don't think using a smaller needle would make a difference.

My concern with the size of the holes is the danger to little fingers.

Someone just did this... check/search the show and tell forums ...either babies or misc. That person picked a good doily,

You want something that is fairly closed

I'll do a quick check to see if I can find that one but I can't promise much from my search skills.

I found it but I would point out that the final rows would cause some concern for me with this one. I'd leave them off or change them It is lovely so I can see why she used it.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42562&highlight=doily+blanket

There are some patterns at Celt's site that would do this and look good. i have been searching for some lately but didn't keep notes. I'm on that WIP diet and I have been so bad, I dare not find another thing to do :cry

:wlol

Archived