Holding two strands of yarn together-question

tnysgrl37

Question

I have seen different patterns that say work with two (or three, whatever the case may be) strands of yarn held together. I know what that means, but are there any special techniques for doing this? Won't the strands overlap when I'm crocheting them? I saw a baby afghan I'm interested in doing, and the pattern says work holding two strands of yarn held together (two different colors). The finished afghan looks like the colors are separated into stripes, and I'm wondering how the colors can stay separated while I'm crocheting if I'm working with two strands of different colored yarn held together. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.:U

12 answers to this question

The pattern is in "Afghans for All Seasons-Book 3" and it's called "Rock-A-Bye Blanket." I found a link to a picture of it on another site. Here it is...

http://www.photosite.com/heavenlybabies/album7-babyblankets/Blanket_Ripple.html

It looks a little different in the book, but the pattern is exactly the same. It's just a little darker in the book.

I made a really cute baby afghan with two strands of yarn. I used multi-colored which works up beautifully. I just can't see how colors could stay separated, but maybe someone else has some thoughts on this. There is a real nice pattern on Crochet Pattern Central called "Bubbles Baby Blanket." I am pleased with it--it doesn't curl up or anything when working on it and is beautiful in the multicolored yarn. The pattern says 3 hours, but it does take a little longer than that, depending on what size you want to make it. I guess I am not much help, but I find that using two strands is just as easy as using one!:yarn

That blanket is adorable. I may make that one with pink and yellow or pink and white. I'm going to make one for a friend of mine who had a baby girl 5 months ago. I want it to last until she is at least two or three years old. How big do you guys think I should make it? She already weighs 18 pounds.

Stephanie, that blanket you linked to doesnt' look like they used two different colors. Perhaps they were doing two strands of the same color?

My experience has been that the two strands blend and typically twist around each other...and if using two colors it comes out beautifully when done in the appropriate pattern.

That is a pretty pattern though.

Try a swatch of 2 strand...you will see how it works for . There's nothing special about how you do it that I have ever heard of.

My favorite part is that it makes it heavier and you can really be creative with your colors.

Good luck!

Now that I'm looking at that blanket and the one in the book, I think Leisure Arts must have mis-labeled the one in the book. There is another blanket on that site I listed by the same name as the one in the book and it looks pink and white with the colors blended together. Maybe the manufacturer of the book messed up. The one I linked to is called a Ripple Afghan, and it looks exactly like the one in the book.

Thanks for all your replies, guys. I have figured out that the pattern and afghan I was looking at in the book probably do not go together and that is why I got confused. The afghan in the picture could not have been made holding two different-colored yarns together. When I pick one to make I will post a picture of it on here when I am finished.:c9

stephanie i just went to take a look at the pattern you are talking about as i have the book...if you look closely at the picture you WILL see strands of white mixed in witht he blue and pink so you are using a strand of white with the blue and pink.

That is a super cute pattern

You're right. I just wasn't looking closely enough. That is an adorable afghan. I've got yellow, pink and white yarn coming in a few days so I think I'm gonna use it to make that blanket. It is really cute.

I had a varigated baby yarn that did not include any white in the rotation. whenever I used it everything came out very "yellow" and not in a nice way.

One day I wanted something quickly so I used a strand of white and the rest of this varigated I had. the white had a wonderfully softening effect on the other yarn and it looked lovely.

I am guessing that a strand of white yarn would do the same thing to your colours. They would be softened and pale. it would be quite pleasant on the eyes that way. :c9

Archived