63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

thanks for your replies ladies! after i googled i see that it was 'bunch of twigs, or kindling,'etc. i find the meatball story very funny! yes, i had also thought brits used the word for a ciggie. i wonder who the 'intelligent' one was who took the word that meant a bunch of sticks or kindling, and adopted it for the slang term it is now?? hmmmm.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else having trouble with the Chevron square? I actually made this pattern several years ago and could never figure it out. I repeated one of the other squares for my afghan. I frogged the Chevron several times and even had other crocheters give it a shot. Maybe it's me??? Maybe the pattern has been revised since then??? Thanks for any help. I'm going to get out my pattern and try it again, just for my own sanity. :think :think

Are you still having trouble with this one? It drove me absolutely nuts (I stared and stared at that picture, and frogged about a zillion times) until I played around with the pattern a little; I finally figured out that starting in row 4, you should chain only 1 before you turn, not 2 as indicated. Then, starting on row 6, one of the fpdc's will be in the fpdc directly below it and the other fpdc will be in the hdc next to that - so you're working them into top of the second row below your current row. Does that make sense?

Hopefully this won't double-post...

I have finally finished! I am so relieved that all my worries about imperfectly-shaped and sized squares were for naught. It all came together so smoothly!

Thank you all so very much for the support, help, and encouragement. I look forward to seeing how more turn out!

I started blogging today to get this picture availble...I'm crossing my finger that this works: http://keiylasblog.blogspot.com/

congratulations on finishing. I couldn't get the link to work for me, showed access denied!:eek

Hopefully this won't double-post...

I have finally finished! I am so relieved that all my worries about imperfectly-shaped and sized squares were for naught. It all came together so smoothly!

Thank you all so very much for the support, help, and encouragement. I look forward to seeing how more turn out!

I started blogging today to get this picture availble...I'm crossing my finger that this works: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/403/1307/1600/63squaresafghan1.jpg

Well as an "ex" Michael's worker, you can use your 40% coupon for the book and if you do not have one, just tell the cashier that you forgot your coupon, and if there is one in the paper that week, they will let you sign a form, then get the 40% off. It is well worth it. :)

63_done.thumb.jpg

Click Me!

And nobody is as surprised as I am! I used Red Heart Super Saver Rose Pink and Aran, and TLC Expressions Light Thyme yarns for this afghan. I started in on April 13, 2004 and finished it today. I'm certain I didn't think it would take well over a year to completion when I stitched up the first square.

I'll add this bit too - looking through the viewfinder was like looking at the leaflet cover. Too weird but in a good way! :lol

Keiyla!!! That's beautiful. I LOVE your colors. GREAT job for your first big project. It's just gorgeous.

Julie - YAYAYAYA you finally finished. It IS like looking at the cover. I would call that display quality, it's fabulous!!!!!!

:clap to both of you!!!!

For those of you that finished already...how did you join the squares. did you use the whipstitch as stated in the book? Whipstitching takes SO long that I'm thinking of trying to SC them together. I know this will make for a ridged joining but I SC faster than I whipstitch:) Any thoughts???

Thank you Trish! :hug

I whipstitched mine together, but then I don't mind whipstitching. I averaged about two rows a day, laid out in advance and safety-pinned together. I'm weird, I think it's peaceful to whipstitch and so, while I may not actually look forward to it, it is a relaxing process to me. Especially after the first day or so when you feel like you made progress with it.

I'll have to go buy the book. You said Walmart, right? Are you to do 1 square a week or just do it and share the finished project!? My first attempt at a crochet along. I want to try one. This looks like fun! THanks for letting me join.

Yarnlover

I think some of the other ladies said they couldn't get the Join form to work, but you can go ahead and join in , I think they will add you when they see your posts in here. Have you gotten your book yet and what colors are you using ?

Oh I forgot ... you also asked about how many squares to do at a time . You just go at your own pace and do as many as you want . A lot of the ladies have pictures of their squares posted . Just go to this list, ( http://www.yarntomato.com/63squares/members.html )

then the names with the little cameras beside them have photos of the squares they have done so far .

I need to take mine over again -- they didn't turn out well the first time !

Julie k

:think

I went to the site and the join link worked, i saw that people joined in recently and thought this would be a great thing to work on during those times when I don't know what else to do....learning new stitches and patterns is always fun, so I don't promise to be fast, but I wanna give it a go!

Ada

Archived