Seraphina...should I use a larger hook? (pic)

NeedSleep

Question

So I have 8 rows done on a Seraphina shawl. It's going really smoothly much to my surprise!

But...I think the "I" hook I'm using is too small. I didn't know what size to use with this yarn because the label didn't say. Only now did I think to look it up online and it says to use a "J" hook.

So here is what I have so far (through row 8)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL76/1911429/3892163/256808393.jpg

I'm thinking I should frog and go up in hook size? What do you think?

Here's the yarn I'm using

http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm

(but a sold out color)

Thanks for your opinion.

I don't mind frogging if it will look better on a larger hook, just wanted to check with more experienced crocheters :)

11 answers to this question

I wouldn't necessarily :frog it at this point. you are early on so I would just try moving up the hook size for a couple of rows and see what effect you get.

There are many patterns that have you work up through a series of hooks so this might not look bad at all. you might even be able to move up to the "K" later in the pattern.

I really don't think it would hurt the Seraphina. when I did that one, it could easily have 'moved up' a hook or two as I worked the pattern.

...And, if you hate it after a couple of rows, then you can rip. it starts small so it will still not be huge if you choose to rip it :frog

I would. If you're not happy with it now you won't be later. you'll just end up hurting your hands if you continue trying to use a hook that's too small.

How long did it take you to do that much?

I don't think it looks bad at all. Very nice, actually. But, if you move up a size or two, you'd get done faster! lol

With that pattern you can really just keep going til you want to be done, so if you're worried about gauge, it really shouldn't matter about going to a bigger hook. A J is just one bump up from an I anyway. Just stitch til it's as big as you like! :hook she even talks about using an H in the pattern. Just kinda depends on your yarn size mostly I'd say.

I just finished a Seraphina and REALLY wish I had used a larger hook. I took forever with a smaller hook

Just my two cents

sara

Thanks everyone :) I ended up frogging it and giving that yarn away :) I think my main problem was that I wanted to use the Rowan Tapestry yarn I had seen someone else do a Seraphina in.

So.....I ordered some new yarn :clap

Archived