Babelfish - bringing crochet together...

I just had the MOST awesome experience! I know it's not much for some of you, but I'm pretty psyched!

With my daisy, on my blog it says to email me for the pattern. Well, I have received patterns from other countries, sometimes in "english" from a foreigner (great, because I can't speak any other language but to ask for a restroom, por favor sil vous play).

But this request was completely in a different language! Thank goodness the sender put the word "Daisy" into the subject or I certainly would have marked it as SPAM. Problem was, it wasn't any language *I* recognized! So, I went to the person's blog (oh, what beautiful work she does!) where she listed her country - Brazil!

On to Babelfish, where I put in her text, translated from Portuguese (thank goodness I'm not a complete cultural dolt)... and here was a request!

So, I typed my response to her, Babelfish away - and sent it back. I sure do hope that it translated my response close enough that she can understand what I wrote!

But how awesome is it that now language isn't really a barrier anymore? We can carry on simple crochet conversations from around the world!

This was TOTALLY AWESOME for me!

Unfortunately, translators tend to be terrible, because you can't teach a computer all the variations on different forms of language. It really messes up French, and French and English are very similar languages, so I wouldn't trust it for anything more complex than what you were doing.

That is awesome! It is also pretty exciting to think about just how far around the globe our posts and patterns go, and the number of lives they touch.:manyheart We certainly do live in an incredilble time.

I get emails in other languages, too! Spanish I understand (studied it in school) the rest...nope.

Babelfish gives you the very rough translation, but it is definitely less than perfect.

Filet crochet is sirloin crochet.

Filet...sirloin...get it? :)

Oh, I KNOW babelfish messes things up, I read how it translated her words. But it certainly gives you the gist of what you're trying to say, which is much better than if I had written Portuguese! I suppose I could have written it in Spanish, which is halfway between Portuguese and English, but I still trust Babelfish better than I do my spanish! :lol

Archived