RED SCARF PROJECT 2008 Annoucement

andiM

OFA's 2008 Red Scarf Initiative Rolls Earlier

Submission dates for the next Red Scarf Initiative have been changed to September 1 through October 15, 2007. This will enable OFA volunteers to collect, process, and send out the scarves by early winter (when they will do the most good). Our goal is to receive 7,000 scarves; stay tuned for guidelines and details.

Thanks for posting this! I have a bit of yarn that would be perfect for the OFA. I will be looking through the site and registering.

Just read about some of the changes here...

http://nownormaknits2.typepad.com/now_norma_knits_2/2007/04/i_was_in_error.html

If these changes are true it will be rather disheartening. Limiting the number of scarves you can donate, having to register first, etc... If they did 15,000 last year are they decreasing their goal to 7,000? Did they have too many? Are there not enough people that need scarves? It's all rather confusing. I might just skip it this year and focus on smaller organizations that really seem to need my crafting.

http://www.orphan.org/red_scarf_project.xhtml

Here's a link to the official site regarding the Red Scarf Project. As stated, the goal is 7,000 scarves and the submission date has changed to September 1 through October 15. To me, the most important information is the scarves should be unisex and specific yarns should not be used (bulky yarn, fun fur, etc.) I suggest we bookmark the site for future announcements.

From what I've read, yes, they had too many scarves donated last year, and they have a bit of a surplus this year. That seems astounding to me, that in the whole U.S. there were less than 15,000 foster care kids in college to give a scarf to. I wonder if they would consider giving scarves to some of the kids in foster care too (who aren't in college yet)? Well, there you go! I'm anxious to see what other changes (if any) they do.

Victoria

I believe it. Mom and I sent in 10 scarves, and did you read on Norma's blog about the little girl who learned to crochet specifically for this project and wanted to make 50 and wound up organizing her own little drive and ending up with hundreds? I'm not sure what the criteria are for OFA members, but it's not every foster child in the US. The webpage said they did indeed send some out to other local foster kids/situations (because they new the crocheters and knitters made them for kids in that situation and wanted them to go to those kids, if not the OFA's college kids, rather than donate them to other causes), and that OFA saved some (presumably for this year). I agree, what a wonderful predicament! I'd be happy to register and make only one. Or to skip it this year and do something else.

How about making scarves for your local homeless shelter? The Salvation Army? There are plenty of other places that could use them, too. Or Warm Up America squares?

The power of the Internet is amazing! Patty

• 2 weeks later...
I believe it. Mom and I sent in 10 scarves, and did you read on Norma's blog about the little girl who learned to crochet specifically for this project and wanted to make 50 and wound up organizing her own little drive and ending up with hundreds? I'm not sure what the criteria are for OFA members, but it's not every foster child in the US. The webpage said they did indeed send some out to other local foster kids/situations (because they new the crocheters and knitters made them for kids in that situation and wanted them to go to those kids, if not the OFA's college kids, rather than donate them to other causes), and that OFA saved some (presumably for this year). I agree, what a wonderful predicament! I'd be happy to register and make only one. Or to skip it this year and do something else.

How about making scarves for your local homeless shelter? The Salvation Army? There are plenty of other places that could use them, too. Or Warm Up America squares?

The power of the Internet is amazing! Patty

If anyone is looking to make scarves for a different project, see what a fellow Crochetvillager has started......

http://www.knittingforhomeless.blogspot.com/

Archived