Great site to create charts from photos

Stacey

Question

I just saw an article about this site in the new issue of Bust and went to check it out. They have a web application where you can upload a photo from your computer, and it'll turn it into a chart in PDF form that you can use for crochet, knitting, cross stitch, etc.

KnitPro

Really cool! :tup

16 answers to this question

I don't know. I have tried everything and the picture I used weren't high dpi and I even used one black and white one. No biggie. It's not like I was going to crochet up a graphed picture tonight or anything. lol

It's possible that your configuration is such that you can't upload directly from your computer to the site, and unfortunately, knitpro doesn't seem to be able to take a url to an image.

[when you uploaded your custom avatar here, did you specify a url or upload directly from your machine? ]

Just a guess. I've seen it happen with some of our clients at work. ;)

I'm wondering if part of the trick might be a combination of how detailed the photo is and the resolution of the photo--if it's a regular 72 or 96 dpi (or ppi, or whatever the term is--pixels per inch???) I bet it doesn't come out as well. I'm guessing you'll probably lose less detail if you have higher resolution photos that are optimized for print. If you use a digital camera, I think some of them have an option for that? Mine doesn't, so this is just a theory :P I definitely had better results when I uploaded a pretty big (1024x768) photo vs a smaller version of the same photo, but I do wonder if the results partly depend on the photo resolution and/or how much detail there is in the photo to begin with...

For those of you who are having trouble with it, are you sure your images are in the right format? It has to be GIF, JPEG, or PNG. Your picture can't be bitmap. I tried a bitmap one and it didn't work.

I'm planning to send one in, too. I think it's a good thing they're doing.

Bummer that some of you couldn't get the chart maker to work. If you have a lot of security stuff installed it might be preventing you from using the script to upload from your computer, but also if you want to try it you might want to check that you have the newest version of Acrobat Reader, since I think it said it won't work in the older versions...

This thing is so awesome! Thanks for saving me from buying expensive software. I'm thinking I'm going to sumbit a square to their petition. Is anyone else going to?

You gotta do the right pic. I've been wanting to make hubby a Harley blanket and this worked perfect I tried several pics you just gotta the right 1. This saved me from buying a $30 program. Thanks For sharing:hug

hi i tried it and it didn't work, maybe i did it wrong, or maybe its my computer, it has a ton of safeguards to protect and sometimes gets a bit mixed up:devil will try again and thanks for sharing that with us. vicki

Archived