Anyone remember or have a pattern for these?

...Back when I was maybe 12... which would have been 1970, the rage was for everyone to have these little vests that looked like huge grannie squares in front and back and then with straps..It pulled over the head and my great grams crocheted like 7 of htem in all the wild colors that only existed in the 70's:lol... anyhow, my niece is having a 70's sock hop and found some cute hip hugger bell bottoms and a blossomed sleeve blouse and I thought it would be too cute to make her one of these but I can't remember the exact way they were finished... and was it two strands held together? Any of you olders out there have this in your brain.... we could make a crochet come back:eek

...Back when I was maybe 12... which would have been 1970, the rage was for everyone to have these little vests that looked like huge grannie squares in front and back and then with straps..It pulled over the head and my great grams crocheted like 7 of htem in all the wild colors that only existed in the 70's:lol... anyhow, my niece is having a 70's sock hop and found some cute hip hugger bell bottoms and a blossomed sleeve blouse and I thought it would be too cute to make her one of these but I can't remember the exact way they were finished... and was it two strands held together? Any of you olders out there have this in your brain.... we could make a crochet come back:eek

I think I still have one in my cedar chest! Want me to drag it out and make a pic? Oh, and I think they were called "Shrinks"

Shrinks huh? All I know it was every crocheting grannies dream come true....

do you remember they used to make granny st. ponchos? my mom used to make them all the time. along with the pull over grannie sq. vest.

such good ol' memories to have.

jaye

Thanks Daisy... I found something like it

It makes me grin to think I went to school every day looking something like that :lol

They were sort of cute though!

just remembered another thing, the "poodle toilet paper cover"? and those really stiff "doilies".

also, those hats where the middle was sc ard in a circle, and then you did these loops with lil' sequences. my mom a whole bunch of those.

i don't even know they have a pattern for those any longer.

jaye

just remembered another thing, the "poodle toilet paper cover"? and those really stiff "doilies".

also, those hats where the middle was sc ard in a circle, and then you did these loops with lil' sequences. my mom a whole bunch of those.

i don't even know they have a pattern for those any longer.

jaye

I still HAVE a poodle TP cover:lol My great Grams made a slew of those and the ones with a doll in the middle and you stood her up in the TP... I bet those granny ponchos would be so "in style" now... You should click on the link Daisy gave me... it is a walk down memory lane! EVERYTHING was a giant granny square!

I still HAVE a poodle TP cover:lol My great Grams made a slew of those and the ones with a doll in the middle and you stood her up in the TP... I bet those granny ponchos would be so "in style" now... You should click on the link Daisy gave me... it is a walk down memory lane! EVERYTHING was a giant granny square!

so true about memories down memory lane. i've seen that web site out a few times a couple of yrs. back.

some photos you can't click on though. it's just a box with an X which is not clickable.

jaye

Those granny squares were the "in" thing back then! I remember the kids that called themselves "Flower Child". All kinds of different colored flowers painted on their cars and flowers in the hair. I was in my 20's at the time. I never owned a granny square during those days, I guess I was not "with it" and just didn't fit in (I was an old fashioned girl). I bet those grannies are going to make a comeback one day.....just like bell bottoms and cut offs (Even I wore those :lol )

Don't laugh at me but my 10 year old neice wants me to make her a granny square poncho and purse to match. I found a pattern booklet at Micheal's a few months ago for these. I guess I know what I can make her for her birthday now. she said all the girls in her school are wanting ponchos now.

Apparently' date=' the web archive org part of the address will not show up. hmmm The address should read "http://" (minus the quotation marks) web (period) archive (period) org (then add the rest of the address that is viewable).

This has turned into a real challenge! Hope it works for you.[/quote']

It doesn't show up because of a policy here that they don't allow linking to archived pages. Personally, I think it's a little goofy since you can go to the other pattern sites and get to the archived sites from there, but this isn't my site, so I don't get to make the rules. :) Anyway, that's why the web/archive string doesn't show up. :)

Check out...

1971 Shrink of many colors...1971-1972 Skirt and mini shrink...1970's Granny square Shrink top...

Apparently' date=' the web archive org part of the address will not show up. hmmm The address should read "http://" (minus the quotation marks) web (period) archive (period) org (then add the rest of the address that is viewable).

This has turned into a real challenge! Hope it works for you.[/quote']

Thanks bunches... I have looked at that site! Amy sent me a nice PM last night explaining that if you post a link and the ******* come up in a link then it is filter because of copyright infringments ( or something like that)... Amy will probably be by to take the links out but it is not a personal thing at all:lol:lol:lol:lol

....This has been such a great walk down memory lane... I wonder what would happen if I rocked one of these:D

LOL :lol , I have made lots of squares in the last couple of years, but I have yet to make a true granny square. :think:eek I guess I will just have to try it...for the fun of it!

Selune and minewifeof4boys,

Thank you for letting me know what went wrong with those links. I will try to remove them myself. I knew that some owners, whose sites had been archived, requested that they not be available to the public and had them removed. It never occurred to me that this site was blocked here.

Thanks again for your help. Maybe, I will figure all of this out eventually. You folks are great.

edit note: I think the questionable posts have been removed successfully :)

The vest/shrink is made to fit the person. You hold the squares to the person's back just below the arm pits, to be sure they fit around . The straps are 6 to 8 (depending on size) mini squares (2 rounds) in a row with a sc edge around the whole thing. Straps attach to the corners of the large squares and go over the shoulders. It is best to pin them together, and try it before sewing. If the squares don't fit around, you can add a row of mini squares in the side seams. A border of dc can be added around the hem of the vest.

Ellie 13

There is a pattern to purchase for 99 cents on e-patternscentral.com. It's called psychedelic vest, bag, beret.

My daughter has fond memories of the shrinks and ponchos I made her when she was a tyke.

Apparently granny squares are back "IN" now. A local yarn shop has decided to offer a class.

Groovy! talk about a far out blast from the past! I think almost EVERYONE had those crocheted granny square vests and the longer open mesh vests that tied at the top..........thanks for this stroll down memory lane!:hug

I still have my vest like that, which my great aunt Vance made me, along with the matching scarf and hat. But I'm positive I also have the pattern in one of the books she gave me. Did we really wear those?

:thinkgot a book called crochet sweaters from micheals there is a pattern for a granny squared vest and it's rather nice. I'm at work so I can't give exact name of vest but this one has buttons so if you want it to slip over head, you'd have to close the front.:hook

I'll have to try and snag a pic of my niece in her vest... it turned out so cute... the giant granny part is purple and pink and the straps are white.... she requested one for her AGD now.....

.......Wanda, I can't believe half of the stuff I wore.... the faux leather fringed vest..... the blouses with the puffy long sleeves... skirts that touched my wrists when I hung my arms down ( how crazy short is that)... AND go-go boots!!!! Not to mention I pulled my hair back in a pony tail with a leather peace symbol with a stick through it!

....... I think I might have sported a pair of platform clogs to go along with my desert boots too :P

Archived