T-Shirt "Yarn"

I've been doing some playing with recycling my old T-shirts into "yarn." By cutting the torso into one continuous strip, I have a great bulky cotton yarn. Here is the beginnings of a thick bathroom rug. Has anyone else tried this?

465637341_633285f405_o.jpg

Well I haven't started crocheting with it yet, to be honest. I cut some t-shirts (xxls I got at the thrift store!) in one continuous strand, like you did, but then I had the idea to cut them width wise (getting a t-shirt loop) and putting them together that way. (For a visual, look at the plastic-bag-loop assembly on this page . I'm interested to see how it will be to crochet with the t-shirt yarn done that way ... I'll keep you posted!

You've just given me a great idea on how to get recycle some of those stretchy knit sheet sets. I cleaned out my main linen closet yesterday and have about 5-6 sets of them that fit my king-size bed. They still look good but after a few washings they tend to get lop-sided and I can't stand to fold them, so I decided to give them away. Plus my DH says they are too hot so doesn't like me to use them. They would make great 't-shirt yarn' and there's plenty of each color. Thanx for the idea!!!

This is just perfect timing for me!!!

Made my teen age son clean out his closet a couple weeks ago so I have a bag full of t-shirts to dispose of (the good ones will be handed down to a nephew). AND when I took the bathroom rug out of the dryer last week, there was a small hole in it and it's not probably not going to last through another trip in the washer and dryer.

I've never done this before. Any tips? Just how wide a strip did you cut the material into?

Many thanks for the tip.

Thanks for all the great comments. I did do the loop-style like Adriann mentioned, but it doubles the thickness of the "yarn." It was too thick for my taste. Diamond... I LOVE your idea with the sheets! Good for you! I'll be watching for those at the thrift store, now!! And, Blueat40...I found the best width for me was 1/2"-5/8". If it was much narrower, it broke easily when stretched. Much wider, and it was just too thick for me.

Another tip: While winding the strip into a ball, stretch it slightly as you go. This will aid in shedding those little tiny cut knit stitches, and will allow the fabric to roll up on itself. This makes it more "yarn-like" and less like ribbon. The resulting yarn is still a bulky-weight gauge. Have fun!!!

I did do the loop-style like Adriann mentioned, but it doubles the thickness of the "yarn." It was too thick for my taste.

Ah well it took some patience and sharp scissors but I was able to cut loops that were thin but still strong so that the doubled-up-effect wasn't significant--the balls of loop yarn are the same thickness as the continuous-strip style ...

a year ago....... I sat and cut and cut and cut up tshirts or fabric...... I used the loop method. I havent made anything yet tho but I do have this GIGANTIC ball lol I would like to make a rug eventually. Maybe after I finish up a few WIPS that finally, after manyyyyyyyy years of not being to get to it. thinking bout the ball I have started, its got to be at least 18 across.......not arnd it. When I first started doing it and it kept getting bigger and bigger, my wild imagination thought........ wonder if I could make it 3 feet tall and take a pic of it and then show it here LOL

What a great way to recycle! I love the idea of the jersey sheets too! I HAVE a set of king size jersey sheets that have seen their day, but will be fine crocheted up into a rug!

i like the bathroom floor mat idea, that would be really cushiony and and comfy to stand on after a shower. i have some stretchy twill fabric that i think would be great for this, i want to eventually try it.

My mother used to do that with her left over material. She used to sew a lot of our cloths when we were little. We had a couple of rugs in our house that were made with the left over material. I don't remember her ever using our old cloths though.

Archived