Household Items for Crochet Tools

I use my little brother's leftover pencil grips on my hooks. They fit snugly on the bigger ones, and for the smaller hooks, I just wrap some tape around the thumb grip until it's wide enough to fit. It really improves the cheap plastic hooks. ^-^

Love this idea. I'm going to get some today.

I use candy tins for the small stuff like stitch markers and weaving the end in needles, etc. The tins like Altoids come in or I love the Altoids Sour Gum tin - fits needles, markers and nail clippers for cutting yarn. Worked perfect for traveling.

Post It notes are a must - marking the pattern and I also right on it what size hook I am using, etc. Also use them when I am going thru a crochet magazine and there are things I want to remember or web sites I want to check out - once I have checked them out, I just remove the post it.

My unused panty hose (because my size changed :blush) became part of the stuffing for my amigurumi. I tied a knot in one end of the leg, turned it inside out so the knot was inside; cut the panty hose about 3" long; then, used the cut-off portion of an empty water bottle as a funnel to put in plastic pellets (otherwise they seem to get all over the place). Tied another very tight knot and inserted the "wad" in the crocheted critter. I used my kitchen measuring spoons to decide how many pellets will be enough for the size of the critter I make.

If I think I need the "wad" to be a bit stronger, I tie the second knot after filling with pellets, and pull enough panty hose back over the "wad" before tying off & cutting. Did any of that make sense??

I'm a Middle Eastern dancer, so we use the big diaper pins on our costumes, to hold the belt to the skirt. Well, I only wear costumes maybe six times a year... What do I do with them the REST of the time? Stitch markers, of course.

I also use larger size storage bags (regular or freezer bags) as mini-"Space Bags" to fit more yarn in less space. Stick it in, close the bag almost all the way, squeeze out the air, and seal. Tada! Room for more yarn.

Because of concerns about mildew and fiber deterioration, I don't think I'll use it long term, but it's great for storing it until I get to the project.

In another thread I mentioned I had made a hairpin lace loom from knitting needles and popsicle sticks!

Wow! Do you have a picture? I'd love to see it.

Linda Y

The grocery bags right? I did that same thing with one of the first projects I took on the road. It worked very well.

Yes, the ones we get from the grocery store. I prefer it over the ziplock bags. Tried it once, didn't like it. Went back to the grocery bags. :)

Pat A.

Wow! Do you have a picture? I'd love to see it.

Linda Y

I wish! That was over 25 years ago. I'm afraid I have no idea where it is now.

I stacked two popsicle sticks, gluing them together. Once they were dry, I drilled holes for the desired distances. I made two of these popsicle bars, top & bottom. Then slid the knitting needles in and used it like any other hairpin lace loom. I may have wrapped each bar with strapping tape between the holes, but I can't remember for sure.

Ruth

I wish! That was over 25 years ago. I'm afraid I have no idea where it is now.

I stacked two popsicle sticks, gluing them together. Once they were dry, I drilled holes for the desired distances. I made two of these popsicle bars, top & bottom. Then slid the knitting needles in and used it like any other hairpin lace loom. I may have wrapped each bar with strapping tape between the holes, but I can't remember for sure.

Ruth

Very clever! I may end up trying this since the ones at the store are usually more than I feel like paying.

Thank you!

Linda Y

I use my champion juicer as a high speed yarn winder. I tape the empty cone on the end and let-er-rip. It's got a 1.3 hp engine.

The entire front part comes off for cleaning, leaving a grater that the empty cone can grasp.

http://www.championjuicer.com/models.html

I can picture you using this in my mind...Vrrooomm! :yarn Done! :rofl That's awesome!:yes

i recycle the big glass jars that candles come in...after the candle is all burned down, i rinse out all the excess wax, and turn iit nto a hook holder/pencil jar/misc. depending on what i need. i like the fact that it has a sealable top, if i need to move things from one room to the next i don't need to worry about spilling...

This is a great thread!

I've recently started to use the gallon size zip lock storage bags for my yarn. I wind the yarn and put several cakes in the bag. then, I cut a small slit in the bag under the zipper and feed the yarn though there. It's great for projects on the go because I can put several colors in one zip lock and they don't roll around. Everything stays clean.

Some great ideals here... I use the big perscrption bottles to hold my stitch markers and one for the needles..

One of my percriptions they started putting the boxes in a tab zip bag. It's just a little taller ( by 2 inches) and wider( by 1 inch) then the gallon zip lock bags. They work great to hold my projects and pattern..

Now don't tell me a lot of you haven't used your empty coffee cup to temporarily put your crochet hook, scissors, yarn needle, and/or critter parts & pieces. (I think I have about 4 cups on my side table right now.)

Mini jaw (or claw) clips for hair -- the tiny ones that are about 1/2" wide or smaller--are really easy to use as stitch markers. When I sew pieces together, I use hair claws of different sizes instead of pins.

I use an old jewelry roll (the kind that rolls up with a tie) to hold my hooks. The compartments are clear, so I can see which hook I need at a glance, and it also holds my other small tools, like needles and my clippers and a couple of bobby pins for stitch markers.

I keep my yarn in those clear plastic zippered bags that comforters and blankets come in. Keeps it clean and dust-free, and I can keep track of what I have.

Archived