Scarf KAL

sammimag

Jessica, thanks for the tips! My edges are so loose I can stuff chickens into them. :P A teeny question, if I'm to slip the last stitch, do I have to add another stitch to the pattern just for the slipping or it's really up to me? Also, I only slip the last stitch? No need to slip the first stitch? Okay, that was more than one teeny question. Hope I'm making sense. :D

After re-watching the Knittinghelp videos, I realised I've been doing my knit stitch wrong. I've been knitting into the back loop instead of the front but my purl stitches are correct. :think Man, I'm hopeless. :blush

Another thing I noticed about knitting, frogging is so painful! :eek

Hi Lis,

Yes you slip only the last stitch, if you slip the first and the last neither stitch would ever get knit:manyheart I tend to just do it to the last stitch and not add another to the pattern, but really its up to you, experiment, I know frogging is a pain with knitting, but thats why I use my "ugly" yard sale yarns that I don't love so much for experimentation, especially scarfs and stuff, local schools always need them for kids who don't have anything!

An easy learn to cable pattern can be found here: http://www.yarnagogo.com/good_ole_cabled_scarf/2004/08/_yarn_im_using_.html

I hope its an okay link to post.

You have to pay attention, because some of the directions are wrong (ie, she says to knit when you should purl,) but if you just watch what your doing and make sure you keep the lines. I've made two of them, pictures are up on my blog )

I'm working on one at the moment in cranberry, I like the pattern because it only has one cable and 8 row repeat so I can memorize it and not have to keep looking down.

Can't wait to see pictures of all your scarf creations!!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use mostly ww yarn, the light blue one was made with pound of love yarn left over from a baby sweater, I liked it because it was soft, but the red heart doesn't split as much while learning to cable.

Right now i'm using Red heart ss, and the cabling seems to be a lot easier.

My favorite set of needles are 9's, so those are what I use, On a scarf I use what ever needles feel the best in my hands.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Jessica! The slip stitch trick really does help to make the edges look a bit neater. Can't say the same for the rest of the scarf. :P I think my cast on is too tight (I used the long tail method). Any tips on that?

At the moment I'm just practising my test scarf on some cheap 8 ply (dk?) acrylic I have lying around that's kinda too scratchy to be used for wearables. Hope to do a proper scarf when I do a spot of yarn shopping this weekend!

Oh! I was doing my practising on straight needles when I remembered I bought a pair of circs to learn on a while back. Boy, I'm never going back to straights! The circs were so much easier to handle except they were a little twisty since I bought the 32" ones. Will probably pick up a 16" during yarn shopping too!

Love to see more pictures of your scarves, Jessica! :manyheart

Ahhhhh it is so much easier knitting with acrylic than it was the cotton. I have finally gotten about 5 rows done now on my scarf! :clap I am knitting continental on size 8's so I am also moving on much more swiftly now. :D I'm just knitting every row, so it's a garter stitch.

the only way my grandmother taught me to cast on was to make a loop, like you would crochet with, then knit that first loop but instead of pulling it off of the left needle leave it and transfer the one you knit from the right to the left. I hope that made some sense.... Let me see if I can find a link...

http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3

I like doing it this way because it seems to come out the right size, (even if it looks a little slower than the long tail method, i watched a video when I was looking for a link) since you are using the needles. if you still find this too tight, then try casting on with a larger set of needles.

I'm working on a baby sweater tonight, but I'll try to get a picture up of my scarf in progress sometime tomorrow:manyheart

the only way my grandmother taught me to cast on was to make a loop, like you would crochet with, then knit that first loop but instead of pulling it off of the left needle leave it and transfer the one you knit from the right to the left. I hope that made some sense.... Let me see if I can find a link...

http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3

I like doing it this way because it seems to come out the right size, (even if it looks a little slower than the long tail method, i watched a video when I was looking for a link) since you are using the needles. if you still find this too tight, then try casting on with a larger set of needles.

I'm working on a baby sweater tonight, but I'll try to get a picture up of my scarf in progress sometime tomorrow:manyheart

When I first tried to pick up knitting from a book 10 years ago, that was the cast on method shown. For some reason, I just couldn't get it and the stitches kept twisting. :think I'll give it a try again. :)

I was looking at the zig zag scarf pattern and was wondering about the sl1. Is there a difference whether we do the slip stitch knit-wise or purl-wise? If so, how do we know when to do which? :think

That is a very nice scarf pattern! As far as what i've always done for slipping stitches is just do what is nearest it stitch wise, with this pattern i would do it purl wise just because the next stitch is purl... but honestly I doubt it will make much of a difference in the look of the scarf. Try experimenting with it, thats the way i've learned most of the things I know, the more I do it, the more I notice the differences. Thats not to say everything I make now magically comes out great... i finished a baby sweater today that I really hate.... it doesn't lie flat... it doesn't seem to line up right, even though all the measurments say it should.... lets just say its not one of my better designs... I think i'll try to edge it and make it lie flat before I count it a total loss... but for now i'm rather frustrated.

Oh well, back to my scarf, its a deep cranberry in that cabled pattern I posted earlier. I've got about 6 inches so far, I'll post a picture when I get a few more inches done.

Hope all of your scarfs are coming out great!

Ack, I have to start my scarf over. :lol I am making my scarf by no particular pattern, so I made it way too wide. :lol I got through a couple of inches while watching a movie before I decided to look down and stretch it out to see how it was coming out. :lol

But hey, at least this is good practice. I'm really comfortable with the good ole' knit stitch now... ;P

Can't wait to see pictures of your scarf! :cheer I've abandoned my magic scarf because I didn't really like how it was coming along. Might try the zig zag scarf or something else. At the rate I'm going, I'll probably have lots of scarf scraps around the house but no complete scarf. :D

I learnt another tip for tight cast on from the SnB book, and that is to use 2 needles. Might give that a try on the new scarf. :)

Well, here is my progress as of today. I haven't decided which style of scarf I'm going to do yet, though! (the thin yellow bands, or banded red/yellow evenly) Probably the original style, since it looks more un-arguably Harry Potter-ish. ;)

scarf1__thumb.jpg

(clickable)

Thanks - I am pretty happy with it as my first knitted item :D

and ooo that one is coming along GREAT, circular, that's the thing - I don't want to make one w/ thin yellow stripes til I can circular. It just doesn't look right otherwise! :yes

Archived