Scarf KAL

sammimag

Well, I am making some progress! It's not the only thing I'm working on right now, so it's not incredible progress, but stitches are stitches. :D

scarf1.jpg

The pic is in my blog (yep I even started a knit blog!) in case the pic above goes wonky... or click it to enlarge.

http://scarfknitter.blogspot.com/

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karla, that is coming out great, I just love the color, and it looks so soft and cuddly!!

I'm still at a stop on my scarf, I've only got two weeks until the baby shower for my sister, so the projects for the little one on the way are taking up every minute of my time! hopefully i'll be back to the scarf addiction soon!

I think I will join this KAL. :scrachin I learned to knit a few years ago, but I haven't knitted since before Christmas. :eek I think I'll make a few scarves to sell this fall at craft fairs...

Mermaiden, What colors did you use for your Harry Potter scarf? I have the book charmed knits and I wanted to try the scarf but I could not find the colors in the cascade yarn at my local yarn store. The yarn you are using I can find in A C Moore and Hobby Lobby. I plan to try circular needles to make the scarf. Your colors match so well to the colors in the book.

Did your yarn store have Plymouth Encore Yarn? That's what I am using for my HP scarf. If you look through the books they have suggestions for colors using Encore.

Sorry I have not posted in a while. I finished the bow-knot scarf 2 weeks ago and finally got my husband to take a picture of me wearing it last night. I will post it tomorrow. Thank you for the compliments on just my progress! Beth aka: Dangerous Crochet, yes this pattern only takes 1 skein (50g) of yarn which is why I chose it as my first scarf.

Also, I am almost finished with my 2nd scarf. It has a lot more design on the ends and is knitted in 2 separate pieces and then graft together.

I love the Argosy scarf on knitty! I might have to do that one too! I am feeling a little torn about my scarves. Originally I intended to give them as gifts but being that they are the 2nd & 3rd things I have ever knitted, I kind of want to keep them. On each one I learned something new and I look at them and can't believe I did it! Hmmmm.....

Here is the picture of me wearing my finished scarf.

th_Tuck-inscarf-finished.jpg (clickable)

When I finished the scarf I thought to myself that it was tiny as I'm used to big long scarves that wrap around your neck. But now that I see it on me, it appears to do it's job - that is, protect your neck from the cold air. I would call this a neck warmer rather than a scarf.

I learned how to increase, decrease, make an opening and ribbing.

Thanks for looking!

After much frustration, I am finally knitting! :woo Here is my Magic Scarf so far:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1160/999669539_5c2edd786b_m.jpg

(Frist time I've posted a pic from flickr - hope that works!)

I still need to work on my tension, etc., but I am just so thrilled that at last I'm producing something that looks like knitting! :clap Two weeks ago I decided I was just going to have to sit down every day and practice. So every evening before I "got" to crochet, I "had to" knit a few rows. I always ended up ripping everything out and starting over the next evening. :thair But last Thursday night, I looked down and realized I had a whole section completed that actually looked decent and was ready to switch from knit 5, purl 5 to purl 5, knit 5. :eek

I am so proud of myself I could just cry! :cry

Now I've already purchased a book on how to knit socks and I'm dreaming about what yarn I'm going to use for my first pair - and I haven't even increased, decreased or bound off yet! :lol

Karla,

I sat down last night and started the bow-knot scarf also. I am using Caron Simply soft in 'Limelight' This is my first time to ever do ANYTHING beside a square/knit/purl. I am learning to increase, amoung the other things I will learn to complete this project. I want to thank YOU for giving me the courage to try this pattern. I will post pics. Thanks for inspiring me. You somehow made this pattern seem 'do-able' to a begginner, so Off I go!!

Thank you for all the compliments on my scarf! :c9

Lavenderbear, there is a link to the pattern in my post #105.

This was my 1st scarf and 3rd item that I have ever knitted.

Dangerouscrochet, if you can knit & purl, you can do this. I checked out a book from the library and followed the directions on increasing and decreasing. The opening/ribbing was a little tricky because I did not have a stitch holder - I just used a spare needle to hold the stitches and was careful not to let them fall off. It's funny how intimidating it can all seem but after you finish, you will be so proud and realize it wasn't all that hard. Feel free to PM me if you need any help. I can't wait to see your pics!

I have finished my 2nd scarf and hope to graft it together tonight and then it will need to be blocked. I have looked up how to graft it in my library book and watched the video on knittinghelp.com. Now, I just have to do it!

Thank you for your comments! I am so excited to be knitting. I now have 60 rows completed and I'm just going to go until I run out of yarn with this skien. (It is TLC Essentials in Light Thyme by the way.)

I am having so much fun, but I think I am developing a little problem... I took it with me when I ran errands today to have something to do while waiting in lines, and I was disappointed when there wasn't a line! :lol

Glenda,

Your scarf is really nice. I love the color too! I know what you mean about wishing there was a line. I took my knitting to the Dr.'s office and of all things, there was no wait! Imagine that! I love crocheting but knitting is becoming addictive - I guess because it is so new to me. Now, I'm torn between the two.

Karla,

Thanks! Printing it out now! :D

Glenda,

I am the same way in being disappointed when there isn't a line or a wait somewhere! I take my knitting and crocheting just about anywhere! :yes

Archived